The Student Room Group

Should I do maths in uni without doing further maths?

The subjects which I’m taking are maths, economics and physics. I enjoy doing maths but I’m only predicted a B. Would universities not consider me since I don’t take further maths?
Have you checked any university entrance requirements?

Fwiw I'd have thought the B in maths would be more of a hindrance than the lack of FM.
Original post by Erin leathers
The subjects which I’m taking are maths, economics and physics. I enjoy doing maths but I’m only predicted a B. Would universities not consider me since I don’t take further maths?

Some universities would certainly consider you but it might be an uphill battle for you without FM, and with a B, unfortunately.
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you checked any university entrance requirements?

Fwiw I'd have thought the B in maths would be more of a hindrance than the lack of FM.

The university I’m looking at requires an ABC but I’m predicted CBB
(edited 1 year ago)
The university I’m looking at requires an ABC but I’m predicted CBB

Do they require a specific maths grade?

There are many universities that would offer you a place with something like a BBB prediction or 120 UCAS points with B in maths and no FM. They probably won't be the top ranked universities but a good maths degree grade from any university will be in demand for future employment. If you are serious about doing it and achieving a good grade then you ought to be able to do what needs to be done to improve on that B in a years time. Unless you can get your B performance in A level maths up to A/A* standard then think very carefully about whether to embark on a maths degree. Have you looked at joint honours options of maths with something else?
Something to note is that degree level maths is really not at all like A-level Maths, it's much more abstract and largely proof based. It's a very different kind of maths.

Beyond that, while not having FM is in itself not a critical issue if they don't require it (although it would be to your benefit to have more experience of spending the majority of your time doing maths), lack of FM and a B in the A-level may be concerning. The question in that case is less "can you get into a maths degree" and more "should you go into a maths degree and will you succeed in one" - and the answer to the latter question may not be that positive.

Remember getting into a degree is just the first step - you then still need to study it for three years and (presumably) get a good classification. For something like maths where they will freely assume the prior content for the areas where it is used (differential equations and more calculus) and where it contributes to your overall "mathematical maturity" for dealing with the very unfamiliar, new, abstract topics, it's a bit of a concern I think.

You may want to think about why you want to do a maths degree specifically, and what alternatives there may be as well that you may not have considered. There are lots of very mathematical courses at degree level, many of which are much more similar in style to A-level Maths. Equally there are courses involving quantitative elements where a background in A-level Maths will be useful, but you don't need to have mastered every topic to keep on top of things.

Quick Reply

Latest