The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Wimbeldon in to the FA Cup 3rd Round...

Thats the way we do it :wink:
Original post by alex_hk90
Obviously it's disappointing to go out of the cup so early, but on the plus side we can now focus on promotion.

Thoughts on yesterdays match?
Original post by CraigWM
There's no such thing as confidence when Abdi/Deeney/Vydra get their trio working.

Also, that Wolves red card was utterly stupid.

On both red cards I can see why the referee has sent them off. Number one, he goes into the player with his elbow and is not looking anywhere remotely near the ball.

Number two is debatable, but for me red card. Excessive force and off the ground.
Original post by Ferret1
On both red cards I can see why the referee has sent them off. Number one, he goes into the player with his elbow and is not looking anywhere remotely near the ball.

Number two is debatable, but for me red card. Excessive force and off the ground.

Nonsense.
Original post by hskjlclcn

Flatt did well then?! Noticed it was his debut and we have a good habit of bringing through good quality academy keepers.

This was his fourth match for us and it was his best game out of the lot.The other matches were a 3-2 defeat against Altrincham, a 1-1 draw with Kiddy and a 3-1 win against Aldershot. So no clean sheets thus far for him.

I don't want to be too harsh on him as he has had to go straight into the team due to our GK crisis and has had very little time with the rest of the squad and surroundings, plus it has only been four matches.

He has done okay but you can tell he is a young keeper and still very much learning. He did pull off a couple of good saves yesterday but he doesn't like catching the ball if a cross comes into the box and his kicking is something that can be improved as the majority of balls fall pretty short and low. But like I said, it has only been four matches and pretty difficult circumstances for him so I don't really want to fault him as he's done okay considering. Plus he celebrated those Wrexham goals yesterday as if we made it through to the final too, and it's not often you get a loan signing (especially with him only being here for less than a month) showing so much passion like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ask to extend his loan for a little bit longer. We have Bachmann on loan from Stoke until January but chances are high we will probably ask if we can have him for longer as he has been our main GK. Our other GK, Coughlin, has broken a couple of bones in his hand so we have no one to go in goal once Bachmann leaves. But Stoke refuse to let him play in the FA Cup and with us getting into the third round there is a possibility we'll ask Flatt back too.

Seeing as though you're a Wolves fan... I'm surprised you took Bradley Reid off us when you did. I understand he's just in your U21 squad though?
Original post by ra-ra-ra
This was his fourth match for us and it was his best game out of the lot.The other matches were a 3-2 defeat against Altrincham, a 1-1 draw with Kiddy and a 3-1 win against Aldershot. So no clean sheets thus far for him.

I don't want to be too harsh on him as he has had to go straight into the team due to our GK crisis and has had very little time with the rest of the squad and surroundings, plus it has only been four matches.

He has done okay but you can tell he is a young keeper and still very much learning. He did pull off a couple of good saves yesterday but he doesn't like catching the ball if a cross comes into the box and his kicking is something that can be improved as the majority of balls fall pretty short and low. But like I said, it has only been four matches and pretty difficult circumstances for him so I don't really want to fault him as he's done okay considering. Plus he celebrated those Wrexham goals yesterday as if we made it through to the final too, and it's not often you get a loan signing (especially with him only being here for less than a month) showing so much passion like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ask to extend his loan for a little bit longer. We have Bachmann on loan from Stoke until January but chances are high we will probably ask if we can have him for longer as he has been our main GK. Our other GK, Coughlin, has broken a couple of bones in his hand so we have no one to go in goal once Bachmann leaves. But Stoke refuse to let him play in the FA Cup and with us getting into the third round there is a possibility we'll ask Flatt back too.

Seeing as though you're a Wolves fan... I'm surprised you took Bradley Reid off us when you did. I understand he's just in your U21 squad though?

Ah well it's all about development, especially for a young keeper. I know he's got a good desire for the game though, and yeah we probably will be looking to loan him out again so I'm guessing Youll have first dibs.

We've done that with a lot of league 2/conference players, and obviously with the quality of our academy it's something we will carry on doing. Haven't heard much about him doing anything particularly special for the unders yet, and wondering whether he will probably go out on loan in Jan too.
One upset today was Dover knocking out Cheltenham with a late goal.
Original post by joddcfc
Thoughts on yesterdays match?

I couldn't make it back for this one (un)fortunately as I had something on in London . So just watched the 5 minute highlights on Player and it looked fairly even going by the chances they chose to show - Chesterfield maybe shading it. I was a bit surprised that we didn't rest any players as we've already had a cup run this year but guess we wanted to keep the momentum up.
To be fair Cheltenham were awful when they came to Stevenage the other week. Not that surprised at that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bournemouth are going to make headlines next week when they beat us (Liverpool) in the Capital One Cup. I can feel it.
Not sure what's happening at Birmingham now, this article from about 4 days ago saying the shares at the club have been suspended pending an announcement.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/birmingham-city-fc-suspends-trading-8225030

Original post by Hooby
x

Any idea on this?
Original post by Rock Fan
Not sure what's happening at Birmingham now, this article from about 4 days ago saying the shares at the club have been suspended pending an announcement.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/birmingham-city-fc-suspends-trading-8225030

Any idea on this?

Carson Yeung is out of prison this week too, isn't he?
Original post by Mackay
Carson Yeung is out of prison this week too, isn't he?

Yeah think so, maybe it's an announcement of him taking back control of the club?
Original post by Rock Fan

Any idea on this?

Basically Pannu has done some really stupid **** and he's being disciplined by BIHL pending investigation and also there's a bid gone in for some sort of sale. Yeung is up for appeal but he isn't being released as far as we know.
Original post by alex_hk90
I couldn't make it back for this one (un)fortunately as I had something on in London . So just watched the 5 minute highlights on Player and it looked fairly even going by the chances they chose to show - Chesterfield maybe shading it. I was a bit surprised that we didn't rest any players as we've already had a cup run this year but guess we wanted to keep the momentum up.

Ah right fair enough. Doesn't really matter now given the latest developments :unimpressed:
Original post by Hooby
Basically Pannu has done some really stupid **** and he's being disciplined by BIHL pending investigation and also there's a bid gone in for some sort of sale. Yeung is up for appeal but he isn't being released as far as we know.

All sounds rather messy, well guess you'll see what comes of this bid, always thought Pannu was bad news for the club.
Brighton at home for us in the FA Cup. Fairly uninspiring.
Hooby, hopefully your team won't be on the wrong end of a cupset
YAWN at Fulham away, knew we'd get a championship side..
Chelsea away, Costa won't know what he's up against until Lloyd Doyley marks him out of the game.

Quick Reply

Latest