The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scottish Shinigami
I have sat a JLPT, results soon.

Which level? Welcome btw. =)
皆さん、こんにちは!

Every time I've tried to write Japanese on here before some of it turns to a black question mark for some strange reason, so I'll leave it at that :L.

I've just sat A2 Japanese (got an A :biggrin:) and I'm off to SOAS in 3 weeks time to do BA Japanese :smile:. I also went to Japan at the start of August, I now cannot wait to be out there for a whole year but it's so far away >_<.
Reply 2102
Regarding the black question mark thingy, just put some roman spaces in there, preferably after each particle so it won't mess up the text too much.
Reply 2103
私は大学で日本語とビジネスを勉強しています!二年生ですよ!よろしく:smile:
Reply 2104
Original post by naruhime
私は大学で日本語と ビジネスを 勉強しています! 二年生ですよ! よろしく:smile:

よろしく! ローマ字の「space」を 入れると 「�� �」を 除きます。
In my attempt at butchering Japanese, that means "add roman spaces ' ' in order to remove the '�� �'"
TSR is a little messed up when it comes to Japanese input...

Are there anyone here who knows about some good novels for upper beginner/lower intermediates? Preferably with furigana. I'm not too fond of romance. Also, where can you buy Japanese ebooks without having a kindle or something like that?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2105
Hi, I'm Don

big fan of Japan, trying to learn a little bit of the language at the moment, :redface: i like anime, manga and J rock.

Anyone live around Kent going to the Will Adams festival? Its not very big over here in the UK, might not be worth a very long trip, but if you live in Kent or South London, there are worse ways to spend a Saturday :biggrin:

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/thousands_expected_to_attend_gillingham_s_will_adams_festival_1_1504393

About Will Adams

http://www.medwaylines.com/willadams.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)
Reply 2106
Original post by stifa
In my attempt at butchering Japanese, that means "add roman spaces ' ' in order to remove the '�� �'"

Are there anyone here who knows about some good novels for upper beginner/lower intermediates? Preferably with furigana. I'm not too fond of romance. Also, where can you buy Japanese ebooks without having a kindle or something like that?

分かりました、 ありがとう!
I know here you can read Japanese children's books XD http://www.ehonnavi.net/ but they're all in kana and really really cute >.<
I know its not a novel, but some Japanese news papers do different editions for different levels of the Japanese education system.
You can often read kindle files on your computer or just pdf file books. If you want physical books there are a few stores in London that do them.
Hopefully going to take a Beginners Japanese module this year. Always wanted to learn a far eastern language (Mandarin/Japanese/Korean) and really want to visit Japan some day. Started learning some Hiragana and Katakana and some simple phrases. I learnt Arabic when I was young so hopefully learning a completely new alphabet won't be too too hard. Has anybody got any recommendations on books/workbooks that are good for Japanese Beginners?
Reply 2108
Original post by stifa

I've never seen a proper novel with furigana over every kanji. Manga definitely puts furigana over everything though.

You could try ハリー・ポッターと 賢者の石 (first harry potter book in japanese). First novel I ever read in Japanese.
Or I just recently read 哀しい予感 by 吉本ばなな and it was a really easy read and a cool story

edit:
I don't know about buying e-books but you can view a huuuuuuuge range of old books (copyright expired) here: http://www.aozora.gr.jp/

for example--
Natsume Souseki's famous "I am a Cat": http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000148/files/789_14547.html
Dazai Osamu, another famous old author (I recommend 走れメロス and 女生徒): http://www.aozora.gr.jp/index_pages/person35.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by donna91
Hi, I'm Don

big fan of Japan, trying to learn a little bit of the language at the moment, :redface: i like anime, manga (...)

I like Animes too, although I don't watch them very often anymore. They are one of the reasons for my interest in Japan. So I have begin to learn about Japan a little, although I'm not able to speak Japanese. Nevertheless I would still love to learn Japanese.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2110
Thanks for the suggestions! どうもありがとう!

I don't like reading in all-kana. And I don't really like reading children's books because I don't find them entertaining at all, regardless of language. Thanks anyway. :smile:
What I appreciate in Japanese culture is politeness and respect by Japanese people which looks exaggerated a little here in Europe.
Reply 2112
Hey all, the society is quiet!

I have a couple of short questions. First of all, can someone point me to a really decent explanation of when to use the and particles? I'm sure there must be one on the internet that makes it very clear, but I just can't find it. Second of all I'm learning the Kanji using the Heisig method (although I'm only up to about 300 at the moment). What I was wondering is how people have used this method alongside the more standard way of picking them up as they go along? I'm just adding the occasional kanji I come across frequently (私,分,何 that type of thing). Is this a mistake? Should I be focusing on just getting through them as laid out by Heisig as quickly as possible?

I'm still enjoying learning so I'm thinking about working towards the JLPT N5 as a target - does that affect the advice for the above question?

ありがとうございます
Reply 2113
I did the same. Don't sweat it too much, and you'll be fine. :smile: You will actually notice how much easier it gets when you have more RtK kanji done... I notcied that I stopped struggeling with 飛行機 when I was into the 1300's in RtK :smile:
When you get to a higher level, I would thoroughly recommend trying to sing along to Japanese songs. Doing this has massively improved my reading skills and also taught me a fair few new kanji. (make sure you have rikaichan on your browser though!) Takes a few tries to get a song down but it really helps get those lips moving in time with your mind.
I insist on making this society more active! Anyone here on Lang-8?

I have a dilemma.

I took Japanese classes in my first two years of uni. They were only three hours a week. It wasn't that intensive, but I learned a lot.
Just did a year at the University of Tokyo doing intensive classes and obviously speaking/reading it constantly living in Japan.
Now I'm back in the UK. My university won't let me take Japanese class again for credit, it's non negotiable.

I have two options:
Pay £300 for a year of classes at university.
Teach myself independently and put that £300 towards a plane ticket back :biggrin:
Reply 2116
Unless you really enjoy the class (I think it's worth it if you do), I would save my money.
Original post by Azimuth
Unless you really enjoy the class (I think it's worth it if you do), I would save my money.

I've been thinking about it a lot over the last couple of days and I think I've decided not to pay for the classes and put the money towards travel.

In that case, I will be learning independently from now on. Scary stuff!! I think I've got the motivation though. :biggrin:
おはよう ございます!

Hallo everyone!! I started self teaching myself japanese about 2 weeks ago so im very basic in level (havnt even tackled kanji yet, although I did study mandarin for a while so not too scared :P) but I'm very excited about it and plan to study it at university ASAP.

My "Anthology of Japanese Literature" by Donald Keene arrived today and I had a flick through it and it looks amazing - can't wait to get stuck in :biggrin:

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the thread!!

さよなら for now!! :P
Reply 2119
Love Japan would like to go there and also learn the language!!!!! I love the culture too ^ ^

I also do Judo

Arigatoo!

Quick Reply

Latest