MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, any changes to the rules from last year?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Can anyone help me with Q4 of 2011?

I get the first part but I am stuck on part ii and iii

Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxsciencemathsxX)
    Hi!

Can anyone help me with Q4 of 2011?

I get the first part but I am stuck on part ii and iii

Any help would be appreciated!
    for part iii you need to turn it into an equation of a circle through factorisation
    for the next part of part iii, you can use the equation of a circle to find its centre, and then you can see that that circle touches that quarter circle and you can find the points where they touch and work it out

for part ii, you know x^2+y^2 =1 at the very edge of the shaded area, so across that boundary, you need to find where the x and y values are largest for 4xy
    for the next part you want to minimise 6xy using points at the boundary of the shaded area

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help I'm really confused how the MAT is actually marked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogle679)
    Can anyone help I'm really confused how the MAT is actually marked?
    I'm no expert but here's what I think.
    Q1 is either right or wrong so you'd get either 4 marks or 0 for each question A-J for a max of 40 marks.

Then for the other 4 Q's you answer you can get up to 15 marks. As shown in the solutions each part of the questions has a number of marks assigned to it. You get marks for both working and the correct answer (as they're interested in how you think about the problem etc.). The methods shown in the solutions aren't often the only valid method (unless stated to use a particular method in the question) and so you can get full marks for a question using another method as long as it fully answers the question.

It's different to normal A level papers in that the mark scheme isn't totally specific for each mark. However it is being marked by mathematicians so any valid method should gain full credit.

ReputationRep:
    MAT 2011 Q3 part v help?

I realise that as a increases, R also increases. But I don't understand why a = -1. Surely a should equal (b- small change) as that's when the tangent line will have the greatest gradient?

Sorry if this is a silly question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaverage)
    MAT 2011 Q3 part v help?

I realise that as a increases, R also increases. But I don't understand why a = -1. Surely a should equal (b- small change) as that's when the tangent line will have the greatest gradient?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given what you wrote (in bold), then surely a = -1 as that's the largest it can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaverage)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes, and the largest a can be is -1 which is touching b on the x axis, and the curve intersects the x axis at -1/

ReputationRep:
    I have done quite a few of the papers - getting around 7/8 out of 10 on the multiple choice questions. Anyone know what the best way of preparing for these questions or any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputeiT)
    I have done quite a few of the papers - getting around 7/8 out of 10 on the multiple choice questions. Anyone know what the best way of preparing for these questions or any tips?
    In general, here's a few tips:

* Manage your time well - often it can be easier to get 4 more marks in the longer questions rather than getting one of the later multiple choice questions. Give the questions a good attempt on your first run-through, but don't dwell for ages on a question you don't get - come back to it with a fresher mind.
    * But don't underestimate the multiple choice - it's more than double a long question in total. In some ways, I actually find them more difficult than long questions - there's such a variety of topics, and you don't get led into it in the way long questions do.
    * Know your background knowledge well. In particular, make sure you really understand the underlying concepts. For example, I've seen quite a few questions based on the general idea of integration (an area under a curve), rather than any significant calculations.
    * If you need to, remember it's a multiple choice section. Try eliminating things that don't make sense, and substituting in simple values like 0 and 1 - if nothing else, it makes a correct guess more likely.
    * Also, there's a few "tricks" that often come up. Things like squaring something to make it positive, the maximum and minimum of sinx and cosx making subsitutions for powers like 9^x = 3^2x, even things like multiplying negatives - they come up in a bunch of questions, and getting used to them can make questions a lot easier. You should recognise some after a few past papers. The 2012 paper has a bunch of them in particular.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i dont mean to hijack this thread but im in need of an urgent reply from any mathematician. for my application I was wondering whether I should leave out my STEP grades being grade 1 in STEP 1 and grade 3 in STEP 2 obviously because of my mess up in STEP 2. I am not going to be applying to Cambridge. My choices are Oxford Imperial Bristol LSE UCL, so should I leave out the STEP grades or should I include them? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielhx)
    Hi i dont mean to hijack this thread but im in need of an urgent reply from any mathematician. for my application I was wondering whether I should leave out my STEP grades being grade 1 in STEP 1 and grade 3 in STEP 2 obviously because of my mess up in STEP 2. I am not going to be applying to Cambridge. My choices are Oxford Imperial Bristol LSE UCL, so should I leave out the STEP grades or should I include them? Thank you
    we are identical in STEP scores and almost in choices wow :eek: I think you have to put them in though

I put mines in and talked in my PS a little about how it was great to be challenged etc

ReputationRep:
    I got 3,3 on STEP 2/3 last year and was told I had to put mine down much to my disliking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    we are identical in STEP scores and almost in choices wow :eek: I think you have to put them in though

I put mines in and talked in my PS a little about how it was great to be challenged etc
    hahah what a coincidence man. what are your choices if i may ask? Putting down those STEP scores wont put us at a disadvantage when it comes to Imperial/Oxford would it?

ReputationRep:
    hahah what a coincidence man. what are your choices if i may ask? Putting down those STEP scores wont put us at a disadvantage when it comes to Imperial/Oxford would it?
    Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Durham and Manchester (for maths and compsci though)

I hope not although I think you have to put them on. I imagine if the MAT goes well neither uni will care much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Durham and Manchester (for maths and compsci though)

I hope not although I think you have to put them on. I imagine if the MAT goes well neither uni will care much
    yeah let's hope for that then. All the best for your university application!

ReputationRep:
    How do you get started on spec a question 4ii

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    I'm no expert but here's what I think.
    Q1 is either right or wrong so you'd get either 4 marks or 0 for each question A-J for a max of 40 marks.

Then for the other 4 Q's you answer you can get up to 15 marks. As shown in the solutions each part of the questions has a number of marks assigned to it. You get marks for both working and the correct answer (as they're interested in how you think about the problem etc.). The methods shown in the solutions aren't often the only valid method (unless stated to use a particular method in the question) and so you can get full marks for a question using another method as long as it fully answers the question.

It's different to normal A level papers in that the mark scheme isn't totally specific for each mark. However it is being marked by mathematicians so any valid method should gain full credit.
    Awesome thank you, I really wasn't sure how it all worked as you mentioned it's really not specific at all. Does it show anywhere rough marks for longer questions?

ReputationRep:
    How do you do 2v on 2009?

Also as for marks, I've noticed oxford's marking scheme has markings for each part of question s so it's really useful. Hope that helps.

Edit: Think it might just be for the older papers actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogle679)
    Awesome thank you, I really wasn't sure how it all worked as you mentioned it's really not specific at all. Does it show anywhere rough marks for longer questions?
    It's difficult to say for sure, but in general I've been giong under the assumption that each logical "step" is roughly 1 mark. So for a logic question (an introductory parts are normally 3 marks), splitting it up into different cases gets you 1 mark, evaluating each case gives you a mark in total, and coming to a conclusion gets you another mark.

But honestly, it's probably not worth worrying too much about the exact mark when doing past papers. What's way more important is making sure that you've understood the question after looking through the marking sheme and perhaps trying it again,.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that the MAT has large amounts of discretion. Those marking your paper will see your working and the different ideas you've tried, even if they weren't correct. The MAT's only a part of your application, not the be all end all. There's no fixed cutoff for scores or anything like that - a great MAT score can make up for a not-so-great personal statement, and vice-versa.

tl;dr: roughly 1 logical step/ark, but an exact score isn't as important as other exams.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.