The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Definately somewhere between the medium and dark, I really like the medium but the dark looks quite classy!
Maybe have a few lighter bits put in and the sun will do the rest (once it comes out again!)?
Initially I thought for dark but I have revised my opinion and go for medium!
I like the medium.
Booooooooooooored. If another one of my patients doesn't turn up, Im'a flip!
GP = LAME :frown:
Original post by Smile88egc
Booooooooooooored. If another one of my patients doesn't turn up, Im'a flip!
GP = LAME :frown:

I quite like it when I get DNAs :o:

My main concern this afternoon (no patients, doing admin) is that my room smells strange, and I can't work out where it's coming from or what exactly the smell is. Normally it's because of my patients - it's a tiny room so if they've been smoking or are...less than hygienic, it gets pretty close in here - but no patients this afternoon, so...
I wouldn't mind DNAs if I were busy, but my practice are giving me half hour appointments, and surgery starts at 3pm after a 2 1/2 hour lunch break in a middle-of-nowhere town where there's nothing to do! Im going bonkers!
I do sympathise with your odour problem, my GPs are at least a bit swish and I have lovely aircon to breeze away the patient smell. Have you checked that the bins have been changed....or that no'ones left any....specimens...about?
Reply 2446
I'm having some difficulty with some lung anatomy revision - if anyone could clear things up it'd be much appreciated!

Is the visceral pleura synonymous with the outer layer of the lung? Or does the visceral pleura 'fuse' with it?

If this isn't the case, does visceral pleura 'wrap around' all of the alveolar sacs in the lung? If not, why don't alveoli collapse upon breathing out?

I think my confusion arises as visceral pleura is drawn typically as a straight line 'around' the lung, but I can't make sense of what I'm learning if that's how it truly is.

Thanks!
As far as I remember it's essentially a membranous lining that wraps around the outer surface of the lung - it's not synonymous with the outer layer.

In other news - spent my whole day off sorting the garden and putting a fence up, feel quite productive.
Reply 2448
Original post by Mushi_master

Original post by Mushi_master
As far as I remember it's essentially a membranous lining that wraps around the outer surface of the lung - it's not synonymous with the outer layer.

In other news - spent my whole day off sorting the garden and putting a fence up, feel quite productive.

Thanks for your response, but if that's true, then what's the 'stuff' or 'parenchyma', I suppose, that covers the alveoli, and lasts to the outer border of the lung?
Original post by Woody.
I'm having some difficulty with some lung anatomy revision - if anyone could clear things up it'd be much appreciated!

Is the visceral pleura synonymous with the outer layer of the lung? Or does the visceral pleura 'fuse' with it?

If this isn't the case, does visceral pleura 'wrap around' all of the alveolar sacs in the lung? If not, why don't alveoli collapse upon breathing out?

I think my confusion arises as visceral pleura is drawn typically as a straight line 'around' the lung, but I can't make sense of what I'm learning if that's how it truly is.

Thanks!

The way I understood it there were two layers of pleura that surround the lungs, the visceral pleura first and then a parietal pleura and they both fuse with the lung membrane at the hilum of the lungs where the bronchi come in. I believe the external membrane of the lungs is not the same as the internal membrane of the visceral pleura. Serous fluid helps the two slide over each other. Alveoli don't collapse because of surface tension and surfactant, which is why prem babies get respiratory distress syndrome and start grunting a little while after birth, because they haven't begun to make surfactant yet.
Original post by Woody.
Thanks for your response, but if that's true, then what's the 'stuff' or 'parenchyma', I suppose, that covers the alveoli, and lasts to the outer border of the lung?

AFAIK the parenchyma ends with the alveoli, with the visceral pleura attached to it as the outer membrane of the lung (but not exactly the outer layer of the parenchyma itself).
Quick MDT - mate rang me up for medical advice (:rolleyes:) and one of his mates went heavily drinking 2 days ago and now feels dreadful with stomach pain. I'm thinking he should go to A&E for ?pancreatitis.

Any thoughts?
Reply 2452
Original post by Captain Crash
Quick MDT - mate rang me up for medical advice (:rolleyes:) and one of his mates went heavily drinking 2 days ago and now feels dreadful with stomach pain. I'm thinking he should go to A&E for ?pancreatitis.

Any thoughts?
What's heavy drinking, how many hundred units?
Original post by Captain Crash

Any thoughts?

If you're unsure, that's safest - or at least OOH GP if it can't wait till morning. May be making a mountain out of a molehill but if you can't see him yourself and it's really terrible enough for them to be phoning random medic friends, it's best to err on the side of caution.
Original post by Renal
What's heavy drinking, how many hundred units?

12 hours drinking....

Just spoken to him - abdo pain radiating to back.

Told him to go to A&E on the safe side...
Reply 2455
BBC 10 o'clock news is chatting about 'revolutionary' oesophageal doppler and how it's helping people leave hospital earlier? ****ting hell, that's some seriously good PR by UCLH (and Deltex!)
Reply 2456
Original post by Renal
BBC 10 o'clock news is chatting about 'revolutionary' oesophageal doppler and how it's helping people leave hospital earlier? ****ting hell, that's some seriously good PR by UCLH (and Deltex!)

what is it in reality?
From a surgeon today:

"What are the two contraindications for a PR"

Spoiler

:rofl:
Original post by Helenia
If you're unsure, that's safest - or at least OOH GP if it can't wait till morning. May be making a mountain out of a molehill but if you can't see him yourself and it's really terrible enough for them to be phoning random medic friends, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Thanks - appreciate the advice.

I guess this is an occupational hazard for medics?
Reply 2459
Original post by lekky
what is it in reality?
Well known and well used.

Latest

Trending

Trending