The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr tim
Caulker and Ward are ineligible as they weren't registered for last match.

FML.. will be interesting to see if Klopp puts Bogdan in goal then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lúcio
No my point was that if a new goalkeeper pushes him to become better, we might end up with the ability to sell him.
Lets be honest, he's never had anybody properly competing for his position. As it stands there's no motivation for him to push himself since he's getting paid and keeping a 1st team slot regardless.

Would be nice to see Ward - I haven't watched him much personally so it'll be interesting.

EDIT: mr tim ruining our dreams :tongue:

If Mignolet did get better then why would we need to sell..? Well Mignolet seems pretty hard on himself and having 40,000 fans on your back every week is probably one way to get motivated..
Original post by Zerforax
If Mignolet did get better then why would we need to sell..? Well Mignolet seems pretty hard on himself and having 40,000 fans on your back every week is probably one way to get motivated..

Because although the guy clearly has quality, I'm not confident he could consistently provide the level we need over a matter of years. If he came good for half a season and we got offers, i'd sell in a heartbeat simply because I know it'd never last.
Look how consistent Cech, DDG, Lloris and Courtois (so far) have been over the years.
Hart has had a few wobbles at times but what did City do? Drop him for their 2nd keeper to show him that either he performs well or he doesn't get a place.
All of our rivals have vastly superior goalkeeping quality to us and the amount of points that gets them over the season is way more than people realise.

Mignolet has shown us at times that he can perform at the level we want, but he has never shown it consistently. Granted we've never really pushed him and at the level we wish to be, we can't afford stupid keeper errors so our fans are quick to criticise. However football is ruthless and there's always somebody wanting to take your place. Mignolet hasn't performed consistently since we bought him and that's why it's baffling that we're rewarding him with a 5 year contract...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3822
Original post by mr tim
Caulker and Ward are ineligible as they weren't registered for last match.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well that's a massive pain in the arse. It'll be pretty much same team as last time then I suppose with the addition of maybe Ibe and Ojo.

I can't see either Sakho or Toure playing... maybe Lovren will be back because Klopp said he wasn't far off about a week ago, if not then I suppose we're stuck with Enrique again.

Considering Ward was never able play in this game so there's no clear game for him to be given a chance, maybe Klopp intends to use him the next time Mignolet makes a clanger.
(edited 8 years ago)
Premier League strugglers Swansea have made an enquiry to bring back midfielder Joe Allen to the club from Liverpool.

However, the Welsh side have been told by Reds boss Jurgen Klopp to wait until the summer to seal a move, report Wales Online.

Allen moved to Anfield in 2012 but has failed to hold down a regular first team place under German boss Klopp.
Bogdan got transfer listed pretty ruthlessly, I doubt he'll play. **** keeper or not, the club could have treated him better. There was no real need to go public with it so quickly.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Bogdan got transfer listed pretty ruthlessly, I doubt he'll play. **** keeper or not, the club could have treated him better. There was no real need to go public with it so quickly.

Brutal! I guess Klopp is decisive (one handed a 5 year contract and the other transfer listed).

Maybe he hates gingers? :colondollar:

Chelsea look to be signing Pato so at least that will mean we can't sign him! I couldn't handle another potential high injury risk player..
Pato has played quite a lot of games though. He probably has got over his injury problems. The real issue is whether he's **** or not.
Original post by jam277
Pato has played quite a lot of games though. He probably has got over his injury problems. The real issue is whether he's **** or not.

Doubt the Brazilian league is anywhere as intense as the Premier League though.
Brutal! I guess Klopp is decisive (one handed a 5 year contract and the other transfer listed).

Maybe he hates gingers? :colondollar:

Chelsea look to be signing Pato so at least that will mean we can't sign him! I couldn't handle another potential high injury risk player..

Mignolet has made as many **** ups as Bogdan lately, and timing it just after a howler made it very unclassy imo.

Valid points by both Jam and you re Pato (the Brazilian league is probably half as intense as the PL if you want to quantify it by metres run), I'm completely fine with us not going for him. He's a roll of the dice that we could take on though.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Mignolet has made as many **** ups as Bogdan lately, and timing it just after a howler made it very unclassy imo.

Valid points by both Jam and you re Pato (the Brazilian league is probably half as intense as the PL if you want to quantify it by metres run), I'm completely fine with us not going for him. He's a roll of the dice that we could take on though.

Well I don't think anyone other than Klopp/Ayre understands the logic of giving Mignolet a huge bumper contract.

Must be pretty linked to the howler though. Bogdan has only been here half a season.

I just don't want another player on our books that we can't shift. People seem to think you have to buy a player in every transfer window but sometimes waiting for the right target makes more sense especially since player contracts are such a huge liability on the books so signing someone then means you close the door on the possibility of signing another player for that position.

I think back to when we signed Carroll and do wonder what we could have achieved if we had banked that £50mil* until the summer and used it more wisely.

*noted that Chelsea basically offered £15mil + whatever the cost of our replacement was.
Reply 3830
Well I don't think anyone other than Klopp/Ayre understands the logic of giving Mignolet a huge bumper contract.

Logic seems fairly obvious to me. Give him a bit of a confidence boost, see if he uses it to build from here, and if he is still dodgy by the end of the summer then bring in someone better and keep him as decent backup. He's a goalkeeper, he's not exactly gunna be on massive money.
Original post by cBay
Logic seems fairly obvious to me. Give him a bit of a confidence boost, see if he uses it to build from here, and if he is still dodgy by the end of the summer then bring in someone better and keep him as decent backup. He's a goalkeeper, he's not exactly gunna be on massive money.

Reported to have been on 60k a week on his old contract. It's assumed that he got an increase on his salary with the new contract. Let's assume a modest increase to 70k a week - that's too much for a 2nd choice GK.

I think Bogdan was signed on a wage of 15-25k a week.
Pulling into Lime Street. Come on the Reds.
Reply 3833
Reported to have been on 60k a week on his old contract. It's assumed that he got an increase on his salary with the new contract. Let's assume a modest increase to 70k a week - that's too much for a 2nd choice GK.

I think Bogdan was signed on a wage of 15-25k a week.

Says who? How much are Chelsea paying on Begovic, or Arsenal on their 12 goalkeepers. You can't moan that there isn't enough competition at GK then also complain when you have to pay a fairly large wage to have a half-decent keeper as backup.
Original post by cBay
Says who? How much are Chelsea paying on Begovic, or Arsenal on their 12 goalkeepers. You can't moan that there isn't enough competition at GK then also complain when you have to pay a fairly large wage to have a half-decent keeper as backup.

Well our revenues are about £50-70mil lower than Chelsea and Arsenal which means in turn our wages are £50-70mil lower than those clubs.

You have to save money somewhere - we spread that across paying our best players a bit less, having a smaller squad and paying our backup players less money and having young players on cheaper contracts too.
On the way to Anfield :smile:
Mignolet, Randall, Ilori, Enrique, Smith, Brannagan, Allen, Stewart, Ibe, Teixeira, Benteke

Subs: Bogdan, Flanagan, Kent, Sinclair, Ojo, Maguire, Chirivella

Enrique captain, Flanagan on the bench
****'s sake that CB partnership again :rofl:

Would have liked to have seen Ojo get a chance from the off this time.
Why isn't Mignolet captain?
Good to see Flanagan back after a succession of injuries. It's been so long I can't remember if he's a LB or a RB.

Latest