The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd never trust one book alone which doesn't cite sources.
Even books on science. There are loads of poorly written 'science' books which cite no sources and are 100% "original research", usually they never follow the general concensus either.
wow..i just joined and wht u guys gave 2 say is wow...

but i suppose every1's entitled to their own opinion...

hehe
Reply 22
Simisanerd
You don't have to start abusing the dude, simply disagree and that is that. Show some respect to other peoples faith/beliefs, even if you don't accept/understand them.

Jeez. People these days. :facepalm:

Rate you!
Reply 23
TableChair
I've never understood why anyone should have to respect another's beliefs. I respect their right to believe what they want, but that doesn't mean I respect their beliefs.

For example, would you honestly respect someone's belief that the earth was flat, or would you think it absurd and ridiculous.

By respecting their right to believe what they want you should essentially be respecting them. Shouting abuse to them and saying what they believe is a load of cack is a tad harsh don't you think... you may think that but some thoughts are better kept inside then said.

Course i'd think it's absurd but if i was living in the era when science hadn't discovered that it was in fact round then i would respect them or either go out and search for my own answers. I wouldn't call them dumbass retards though coz thats just rude. lol

The point is that religion cannot as of yet be disproved by science fully. So until then, we should respect others beleifs. Like some people respected the view that the world was flat until scientists had evidence and were 100% sure it was round. For all we know the religion could be right!?
I don't believe in Gods, so if Allah (or any other 'God') was proven to exist, as far as I'm concerned he would just be a very powerful supernatural being. That doesn't make what he says true or right, so I certainly wouldn't follow Islam.
OP, a better question would be...

If logic proved that islam is not the truth, would muslims stop believing it? or would they bury their heads in the sand and keep on deluding themselves?
OP, you're a moron with an imaginary friend called allah, face up to that fact and move on. :biggrin:

Simisanerd
You don't have to start abusing the dude, simply disagree and that is that. Show some respect to other peoples faith/beliefs, even if you don't accept/understand them.

Jeez. People these days. :facepalm:

No, I will continue to bash the religious until they stop persecuting each other and provide some evidence for their arguments.

RyanT
Lord of the rings is the chief linguistic miracle in the English language

1) There is only one God, Morgoth
2) Sauron is a Prophet of Morgoth
3) There is a Day of Judgement
4) There is an eternal life of either Paradise or Hell
5) The purpose of mans existence is to worship Morgoth (submit to him)
6) Failing to become a Goblin after one has been exposed to Sauron's sword would doom one to Hell
7) Elves exist
8) Two angels record mans deeds (good and bad) from the moment of puberty till his/her death
8) The Valar exist
7) Each person has personal devil that is assigned to him from the moment of his birth till his death who incites him to evil, namely disbelieving in Morgoth and associating Elves with Him
8) The ring was never destroyed
9) Sauron shall return
10) The theory that man evolved from apes is false

*I'm mentally challenged and use axioms that implicitly accept what I am trying to prove. But that's OK because I'm deluded and not very clever.

**Religions are political. They are documents that try to influence social and political life. See sharia law. There is no need to accord them special status for "respect".

+rep for you :biggrin:

MoonwalkBaby
I agree with and believe:
1) There is only one God, Allah
2) Muhammad is a Prophet of God
3) There is a Day of Judgement
4) There is an eternal life of either Paradise or Hell
5) The purpose of mans existence is to worship God (submit to him)
7) Angels exist
8) Two angels record mans deeds (good and bad) from the moment of puberty till his/her death
8) Eblis, or Satan, exists
7) Each person has personal devil that is assigned to him from the moment of his birth till his death who incites him to evil, namely disbelieving in God and associating other gods with Him
8) Jesus was never crucified
9) Jesus shall return

Numbers 6 and 10 will always be a load of rubbish to me though.

Surely you can't believe this crap? Surely there must be some part of your brain that goes "hang on a minute - none of this makes sense at all"

My proudest achievement was completely writing off the existence of god, santa and the tooth fairy in one sweeping statement at the age of five. I see it as proof that I'm able to think for myself.
Reply 27
Well actually there's a big flaw in your logic even before we get into the stupidity of all your 'no contradictions' / etc claims, namely that what if God lied to Mohammed? There could be thousands of beings possessing god-like abilities, and that's not accounted for in your argument.

Personally I believe Religion is something of a joke, but trying to push Islam by making flawed claims is even sillier than pushing it in the first place.
Simisanerd
By respecting their right to believe what they want you should essentially be respecting them. Shouting abuse to them and saying what they believe is a load of cack is a tad harsh don't you think... you may think that but some thoughts are better kept inside then said.

Course i'd think it's absurd but if i was living in the era when science hadn't discovered that it was in fact round then i would respect them or either go out and search for my own answers. I wouldn't call them dumbass retards though coz thats just rude. lol

The point is that religion cannot as of yet be disproved by science fully. So until then, we should respect others beleifs. Like some people respected the view that the world was flat until scientists had evidence and were 100% sure it was round. For all we know the religion could be right!?

I disagree. I can respect someone's right to believe what they want without respecting them for believing it. Whether I should call them names etc is another issue.

That last paragraph is off topic.
46Bit
Personally I believe Religion is something of a joke, but trying to push Islam by making flawed claims is even sillier than pushing it in the first place.

It would be a joke if it didn't cause such a vast amount of conflict and death.

Without religion, we would be far more advanced as a species, having not repressed science for a long time, we would have less war, and we wouldn't have to have all this PC ******** about tiptoeing around insulting another adult's imaginary friends.
morecambebay
OP, a better question would be...

If logic proved that islam is not the truth, would muslims stop believing it? or would they bury their heads in the sand and keep on deluding themselves?

Maybe you should make another thread about it then!

OP, put up a poll with options yes or no, because it seems like most posters are avoiding from having to answer yes/no.

If it was proven to be true, do doubts, then
Cesare Borgia
Yes I would. Everyone would.
i'd be fiercely against it, i would fight to the death before believing anything it has to offer
No.

I would rather live my life as a dirty heathen kaffar and burn in eternal damnation than worship your deity.
SomeStudent
Maybe you should make another thread about it then!

it doesnt need a thread. The answer has allready been revealed.
Reply 34
paddyman4
Lord of The Rings doesn't have any contradictions either, and is much more fun to read. Does that make it true?

Zing!
Reply 35
I follow islam!
Reply 36
RyanT
Possessing a childish emotional need for a "god" does not make it true in any sense.

According to your logic, you would respect people who really, really want there to be a unicorn in their garden. The unicorns might be different, some with long tails, short tails - but just because someone has an emotional need to believe in an idea, it's inherently worth of respect?

Come on. Wishing has never made anything be true.

All I'm simply saying is that I don't believe in what Allah teaches, and even if he were real, to me he wouldn't be my God so I would not worship him. (Personally I don't believe in any supernatural being)

I respect them because of their diligence and patience, not because they believe in something that (you and I obviously) feel is flawed. I mean, its not logic like you state, its a value that I share. Most people deserve respect. I have a neighbor who doesn't believe in evolution, and is head strong believer in the devil, gays are bad etc. Now she may yell at me each morning saying 'monkey ******* homosexual', I still respect her in a sense because she has donated her entire life to a cause and generally does good around her. I understand why you might not share the same ideals as me, but I wouldn't call myself an idiot just because I tend to see more good in people then bad.

In fact to me, this argument we're having is pointless because its simply a matter of principle. You don't believe that people who believe in nonsense deserve respect, whilst I feel that they merit some respect.
It is easy to tell from this thread the different quality of humans on show. There is the OP asking for fellow students opinions. There are a few decent people either agreeing with the OP or opposing the OP's information and view point. And then there is the overwhelming majority of sadistic people who think they are superior and ultra cool by being aggressive and attempting to produce humour for their low quality counter parts to enjoy.
Reply 38
No, I wouldn't.
No. And please learn to use English properly before you go thread title which muddle the subjunctive with the present...

Latest

Trending

Trending