The Student Room Group

True or false: Universities check out your facebook

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jabberwox
I didn't say a complete idiot, did I? Say a Facebook status said something like 'Got drunk last night and had the best time ever!", that doesn't necessarily mean you're an alchohlic delinquent drop-out who would never be able to hold down a job. At university, some of the cleverest and most hard-working people I know still manage to have a good time.

If you're only doing things which are by all accounts reasonable and not embarassing, surely you'd have nothing to fear then would you?

So it would make no sense to complain about it.
Reply 21
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
If you're only doing things which are by all accounts reasonable and not embarassing, surely you'd have nothing to fear then would you?

So it would make no sense to complain about it.

This reminds me of the "you've got nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide" pro-CCTV argument from people who just don't get the point.
Original post by Redolent
This reminds me of the "you've got nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide" pro-CCTV argument from people who just don't get the point.

Entirely different. If you don't want people to look at your facebook, private it.

You can't exactly walk down a street with a bed sheet over you to disguise your identity.
Reply 23
Entirely different. If you don't want people to look at your facebook, private it.

You can't exactly walk down a street with a bed sheet over you to disguise your identity.

Our lecturer gave us a warning story about a guy who landed a City TC and got fired in the first week for posting something about work, even though they're profile was as private as possible.

As she put it: The only people who care you had a **** day at work are in your phonebook; So for ****'s sake text them because any industry you work in is a lot smaller world than you think.

Nothing will ever beat Legal Alien's story though :moon:
Original post by roh
Our lecturer gave us a warning story about a guy who landed a City TC and got fired in the first week for posting something about work, even though they're profile was as private as possible.

As she put it: The only people who care you had a **** day at work are in your phonebook; So for ****'s sake text them because any industry you work in is a lot smaller world than you think.

Nothing will ever beat Legal Alien's story though :moon:

I haven't heard that story - do tell?
Reply 25

Plenty of people forget or just don't really consider the need to put their Facebook privacy to "friends only". That shouldn't be considered an invitation for anyone in the world to go looking through everything on their page and judging their ability to do a job from it.

Can you imagine receiving a notice saying you can't have your dream job because "we looked your name up on Facebook and, after looking through your tagged photos, saw a picture of you being sick in a bush - this is not the sort of image we would like associated with our company"? There's no need for it, everyone slips up from time to time and it's not right to expect people to be constantly policing their Facebook on the off-chance there's something they wouldn't want their employer to see on there.
Reply 26
Newcastle med school messaged me on twitter once, so technically they could have looked at my tweets. Not sure if they would be bothered enough to use it in their selection procedure.
Also it just wouldn't be a fair way of selecting applicants.

Employers however do sometimes check out your twitter/Facebook but that's not very often.
Reply 27
Original post by Euthymic
I've heard that Universities check out your facebook and other social networking sites, sometimes during the UCAS application cycle and sometimes once you're in

Is this true? Apparently they watch threads on TSR as well

:curious:

I doubt it's true but I've heard of employers that do this
Reply 28
My first choice follows me on Twitter which is kind of worrying.. They can't take back the offer now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I haven't heard that story - do tell?

It's pretty legendary, sorry kind of assumed you'd lurk on RoF now you're at the TC stage (I think?).

Anyway:

LA secures TC at US firm. Spends the two years prior to starting Roffing about various unsavoury matters and slating his future firm. Firm are not stupid and work out that LA is one of their future trainees. Firm are furious. Firm wait til summer party. Firm hire magician and the culmination of the trick, in short, is that LA is presented with a card with his Rof username on. Rather than playing it cool, LA goes white and disappears sharpish, confirming to the firm that LA is who they thought he was.

LA called in for a meeting, LA apologies, firm rescind his TC
Original post by Redolent
Plenty of people forget or just don't really consider the need to put their Facebook privacy to "friends only". That shouldn't be considered an invitation for anyone in the world to go looking through everything on their page and judging their ability to do a job from it.

Can you imagine receiving a notice saying you can't have your dream job because "we looked your name up on Facebook and, after looking through your tagged photos, saw a picture of you being sick in a bush - this is not the sort of image we would like associated with our company"? There's no need for it, everyone slips up from time to time and it's not right to expect people to be constantly policing their Facebook on the off-chance there's something they wouldn't want their employer to see on there.

I have no problem whatsoever with any of that.

If an employer wants to screen their applicants on the basis of their behaviour on or off the job, it's fine by me - especially as a few little clicks can prevent it - or, dare I say, behaving sensibly in the first place when you're in public.

If you can't be bothered to do either, you're asking for trouble.
Original post by roh
It's pretty legendary, sorry kind of assumed you'd lurk on RoF now you're at the TC stage (I think?).

Anyway:

Ah, I see. No, I've just started my second year, so not quite doing a TC yet! I'm familiar with RoF but hadn't seen that story before.
Reply 32
Russell Group unis give you credit for the number of green reps you have
Reply 33
Ah, I see. No, I've just started my second year, so not quite doing a TC yet! I'm familiar with RoF but hadn't seen that story before.

Sorry, I meant applying not actually doing!

Yeah, it's pretty bad has to be said.
Reply 34
I have no problem whatsoever with any of that.

If an employer wants to screen their applicants on the basis of their behaviour on or off the job, it's fine by me - especially as a few little clicks can prevent it - or, dare I say, behaving sensibly in the first place when you're in public.

If you can't be bothered to do either, you're asking for trouble.

Nobody is sensibly behaved 100% of the time. I'm sure you've done things in your private life that you're not proud of, things that have no effect whatsoever on your ability to do your job to the standard expected by your employer.

In any case, you have contradicted yourself there. You tried to distance yourself from the aforementioned pro-CCTV argument of "you have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide", yet you think it is fair for employers to probe every aspect of a prospective employee's life and history that they have access to on the expectation that people should "behave sensibly in the first place". I could use that exact argument to justify extended CCTV in the public sphere, which it seems you are against.

I could say, "What's the problem with putting up more CCTV? People should be behaving sensibly in public anyway." I wonder how you would object to that.
Reply 35
Probably true at my college they tell.the tech department to check out the tweets from students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students from our course in first year did get caught once. This happened when people were making memes about the Lecturers and the course. The lecturer said the University has a system by which they can track if there name has been used on any social networking site.

Most people disagreed as we kinda knew that one of the students complained to the lecturers.:rolleyes:
Reply 37
Uni's don't, employers do though, yikes...
Reply 38
No. It would be a pointless exercise anyway as plenty of people will have the same name as you, and if you've got any sense you'll have your profile page private anyway.
Reply 39
Original post by The Polymath

As for TSR, it certainly would be easy for them to track you down via Stalking Pages :eek:

I should think this is true, especially if you are applying for a relatively obscure subject. Though unless you are really open about your personal info, and have a username resembling your real name, you should be safe :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending