The Student Room Group

Couch to 5k!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llamaspoon
I'm not very clued up on fitness so I'm not sure exactly what strength training is. I go to the gym a few times a week as well, where I use the rowing machine, bike, and some of the machines (focusing on arms and abs). Is this okay? Or should I be doing something else? And what do you mean when you say cardio only isn't a good final look? Sorry for the questions :smile:

Strength training is anything with weights, or to build muscle and cardio is to get your heart racing and burn fat. Now burning fat is good, but only doing cardio will burn fat and muscle which can lead to a kind of saggy thin look i.e. pancake bum and so on.
Good luck with this! I did the couch to 5k program about two years ago, and I think it's really great. All the other "beginner" running programs I looked at assumed you had a moderate level of fitness already, which is unrealistic for someone like me who couldn't even run for a minute straight before hand!

Like leedswest said, the best way to lose weight is doing cardio, but if you want to maintain muscle in order to get the toned look, you need to use weights as well. You could try out some of the machines at your gym, though freeweights (dumbbells) are the best as the exercises done with these engage the most muscles.
Original post by leedswest
Strength training is anything with weights, or to build muscle and cardio is to get your heart racing and burn fat. Now burning fat is good, but only doing cardio will burn fat and muscle which can lead to a kind of saggy thin look i.e. pancake bum and so on.

Original post by alwaysalex
Good luck with this! I did the couch to 5k program about two years ago, and I think it's really great. All the other "beginner" running programs I looked at assumed you had a moderate level of fitness already, which is unrealistic for someone like me who couldn't even run for a minute straight before hand!

Like leedswest said, the best way to lose weight is doing cardio, but if you want to maintain muscle in order to get the toned look, you need to use weights as well. You could try out some of the machines at your gym, though freeweights (dumbbells) are the best as the exercises done with these engage the most muscles.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had no idea about strength training and how just doing cardio is bad for you! I'll be using the dumbbells next time I go to the gym.
Original post by getfunky!
I completed it:jive: not to lose weight but rather to improve my fitness level, it helped a lot. Stick with it OP, even when it seems incredibly difficult on some runs (I struggled with week 5), but still managed to complete it.. And I am a regular runner now :biggrin:

Thanks for the encouragement. I really enjoy running, and I want it to be a long term thing, rather than just a short term aid to weight loss. Week 5 is the one I'm worried about most haha, but I'll power through!
Reply 24
Been doing this for a Week.. Hope I stick to it! Going good soo far :smile:
Forgot to post yesterday. It was hard going (I don't think the boiling hot weather helped!). I am still determined!
Original post by Yemiisii
Been doing this for a Week.. Hope I stick to it! Going good soo far :smile:

Keep with it! :smile:
That's awesome! I did something similar a few years ago to prepare for a 10k race here in Vancouver, and went from 0 to 10k in about 4 months.

The first 5/10k is the hardest! After that distance builds up very quickly since at some point you'll hit a plateau where you'll feel like you can just run forever without feeling any more tired. It's a weird feeling that can only be experienced! For me that starts at about 3k (of non-stop running), but it obviously depends on the person!

I have been running 8-10k for the past few years, and just decided to try 14k for the first time a few weeks ago, and it felt more or less the same, just taking longer.

You'll love it (even more) once you get to 5k non-stop!
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
That's awesome! I did something similar a few years ago to prepare for a 10k race here in Vancouver, and went from 0 to 10k in about 4 months.

The first 5/10k is the hardest! After that distance builds up very quickly since at some point you'll hit a plateau where you'll feel like you can just run forever without feeling any more tired. It's a weird feeling that can only be experienced! For me that starts at about 3k (of non-stop running), but it obviously depends on the person!

I have been running 8-10k for the past few years, and just decided to try 14k for the first time a few weeks ago, and it felt more or less the same, just taking longer.

You'll love it (even more) once you get to 5k non-stop!

Thanks for this. I really can't wait to be able to run 5k. I should be able to do it around September in time for uni, and my uni town has free weekly 5k runs, which is great! I'm a very impatient person, so I am really looking forward to reaching my goal! :smile:
Week 2 is complete! I really do feel like I am moving forward, which is a great feeling to have! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest