The Student Room Group

How to let my flat mates know I have a disability?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soph.Jade
I think you should mention it and maybe suggest some of the events you've seen that would be more accessible? And possibly look for some more chilled bars with seating areas to show you're wanting to go out and have fun :smile: good luck for uni x

Yep I'm definitely going to try that! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ftmshk
If they are decent mates they will be impressed that you are one of only 24 in the world! How many people can say that?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, it's probably the only good thing about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatOtherMegan
Mines actually more mild in comparison to others so I'm actually quite lucky! Some websites have symptoms included which I don't have so it might not be as bad as the one you read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i find the same with my myotonic MD
Original post by ThatOtherMegan
So I have found 3 of my 7 flat mates, and we have a group chat going. They are all saying that we are all going to go out together and we would be doing all these freshers events together. The only thing is I have a rare type of Muscular Dystrophy, which while I look absolutely fine, I cannot really do anything other than small amounts of walking. I can't do long walks or dancing or the majority of freshers activities. How do I tell them that I won't be able to go out with them without being a downer and without them being awkward about it? And should I tell the 3 of them now on the group chat, or wait and tell all of my flat mates in person? Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have epilepsy and was really nervous about telling my flatmates, especially as I didnt know them that well. When I registered with my universitys disability service, they let my lecturers and residence mentors know (residence mentors are accommodation staff who are also students theyre there in case you have any problems) Then my residence mentors (who they also informed of my epilepsy) came to see me and let my flat mates know. If you have residence mentors at your uni you can ask them to let them know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending