The Student Room Group

accused of plagiarism what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RandomGuy19
Alcohol my friend, nothing beats numerous JD's and coke's :biggrin: Let us know how it goes mate, I'm sure it'll be fine

haha at this stage its gonna take a lot MORE than just a JD and coke, but ye i will keep you upto date next friday!
1. identify what the policy is on plagiarism. It should be abailable as well as the procedure. that way you will know what their criteria is and how they apply it. the details should have been in the e-mail.
2. Agree with the people who have pointed you to the SU to get guidance. they will ahve dealt with this before and can signpost you.
3. What gavin said at #7. Find your essay plus drafts that are time stamped. this will help uoi show how you planned and wrote the essay. You need to identify the bits where you have missed quotation marks. You also need to check if you provided a url whether there was adequate. That will give you an idea of just how many uncredited segments there are. Normally you would footnote things, so I doubt lack of " marks will be terminal.
4. Now you are prepared just listen to what the lecturer has to say. Hopefully any area he has concerns about then you will be able to show it was an error. By the end of the meeting be sure to find out what the next stage is and when you will find out by.
5. If they take it forward and the consequences are serious, then go back to the SY and take their advice about representation.
Original post by 999tigger
1. identify what the policy is on plagiarism. It should be abailable as well as the procedure. that way you will know what their criteria is and how they apply it. the details should have been in the e-mail.
2. Agree with the people who have pointed you to the SU to get guidance. they will ahve dealt with this before and can signpost you.
3. What gavin said at #7. Find your essay plus drafts that are time stamped. this will help uoi show how you planned and wrote the essay. You need to identify the bits where you have missed quotation marks. You also need to check if you provided a url whether there was adequate. That will give you an idea of just how many uncredited segments there are. Normally you would footnote things, so I doubt lack of " marks will be terminal.
4. Now you are prepared just listen to what the lecturer has to say. Hopefully any area he has concerns about then you will be able to show it was an error. By the end of the meeting be sure to find out what the next stage is and when you will find out by.
5. If they take it forward and the consequences are serious, then go back to the SY and take their advice about representation.

thank you so much for this advice, i think the worse scenario is redo the assignment but capped at 40% :smile:
Tbh I cnat believe they didnt give everyine a copy of the departments policy as well as guidance on how to reference work. The above is the most you nca do, but it cnat change the essay you submitted.
Reply 24
Original post by michaelwai94
Hi so recently i just received my email saying i have to attend this meeting next week, and of course i am very scared because i don't know what is going to happen but anyway, the essay i wrote everything is in my own words, i have no intention of plagiarism but i think i didn't do referencing probably, and in some sentences i forgot to put " " around it.. but i did put the link of where did i gather the information from.

So my question is, will i get 0% for such a small mistake or can i defend myself from it?? and if so what is going to happen?

thank you all i really appreciate all the feedback !

Hi there, I was just wondering what was the outcome of this, what did the university decide in the end? I am worrying that I am going to be in a similar situation as you are.
Original post by bugsy12
Hi there, I was just wondering what was the outcome of this, what did the university decide in the end? I am worrying that I am going to be in a similar situation as you are.

hi there, after went for an interview, my university decided to put a charge against me, thankfully this is only my first attempt, i can still re-submit a new piece of work but is capped at 40%!
Reply 26
hi there, after went for an interview, my university decided to put a charge against me, thankfully this is only my first attempt, i can still re-submit a new piece of work but is capped at 40%!

Ahh sorry to hear. Was that the best case scenario? If I had my dissertation capped at 40 it would actually ruin my entire degree :frown: Did the charge also go on your record now for good?
Original post by bugsy12
Ahh sorry to hear. Was that the best case scenario? If I had my dissertation capped at 40 it would actually ruin my entire degree :frown: Did the charge also go on your record now for good?

well to be honest, from my experience is stop worrying about this for now, because you still don't know if you are being charged yet so stop worrying, and also Even if they do put a charge against you, they will need the evidence to proof it, so if you have evidence to proof it is a reference mistake, they might take that into consideration but if you do admit it, then yes the record goes on your file until you graduate / finish uni! Don't worry tho, if i was you i would stop worrying until a case been confirmed
Reply 28
well to be honest, from my experience is stop worrying about this for now, because you still don't know if you are being charged yet so stop worrying, and also Even if they do put a charge against you, they will need the evidence to proof it, so if you have evidence to proof it is a reference mistake, they might take that into consideration but if you do admit it, then yes the record goes on your file until you graduate / finish uni! Don't worry tho, if i was you i would stop worrying until a case been confirmed

Yeah you are right, I need to stop worrying and just wait and see. Thanks so much for your replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending