The Student Room Group

Should we stop any more immigration?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ivybridge
Don't come on here insulting me - the question asked whether or not one thought immigration should be stopped. I gave my opinion. I didn't say it could be done. Everybody is talking idealistically. I understand fully that they go hand in hand.

No one is insulting you.

This is what you said:

'Well, there has to, if we stay in the EU, be some serious discussions about having control of our own borders for one. I think we should adopt a system like Australia's.'

You were clearly making a serious suggestion about how we should reform our relationship with the EU in the context of immigration. All I said was that this tack has been attempted and has failed and has always been without hope given the leading member states' support for freedom of movement. The idea of being in the EU and having an Australian points-based system only exists on the other side of the looking glass
Original post by Fenice
No one is insulting you.

This is what you said:

'Well, there has to, if we stay in the EU, be some serious discussions about having control of our own borders for one. I think we should adopt a system like Australia's.'

You were clearly making a serious suggestion about how we should reform our relationship with the EU. All I said was that this tack has been attempted and has failed and has always been without hope given the leading member states' support for freedom of movement. The idea of being in the EU and having an Australian points-based system only exists on the other side of the looking glass

No, I clearly wasn't. I was trying to say that in an ideal world, that would be preferable. I know it isn't going to happen because it can't. Calm the **** down and stop trying to tell me what I said, I know what I said, I also know what I meant far more than you will ever.
Reply 22
No, I clearly wasn't. I was trying to say that in an ideal world, that would be preferable. I know it isn't going to happen because it can't.

If you knew it can never happen you would not have said 'Well, there has to, if we stay in the EU, be some serious discussions about having control of our own borders for one. I think we should adopt a system like Australia's.'

If you had meant what you now say you did, you would have inserted a phrase such as 'in an ideal world', or 'I know it's never going to happen but it would be great if'. I suggest embracing the fact that you have made a comment which demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the subject matter and move on with your life.

Calm the **** down and stop trying to tell me what I said, I know what I said, I also know what I meant far more than you will ever.

You have lost your temper because someone has politely disagreed with you in an online discussion about the European Union. Think that over for a moment or two.

Either you express yourself very poorly or you are understandably so embarrassed by your original post that you are trying to pass it off as not intending to mean what it very clearly did.
Original post by Fenice
If you knew it can never happen you would not have said 'Well, there has to, if we stay in the EU, be some serious discussions about having control of our own borders for one. I think we should adopt a system like Australia's.'

If you had meant what you now say you did, you would have inserted a phrase such as 'in an ideal world', or 'I know it's never going to happen but it would be great if'. I suggest embracing the fact that you have made a comment which demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the subject matter and move on with your life.

You have lost your temper because someone has politely disagreed with you in an online discussion about the European Union. Think that over for a moment or two.

Either you express yourself very poorly or you are understandably so embarrassed by your original post that you are trying to pass it off as not intending to mean what it very clearly did.

Oh my word, you know what, I'm not entertaining you further. You are spending a lot of time responding, trying to tell somebody what they meant when they said something. Well that person knows better than you what they meant, regardless of what your interpretation of it was. I am not embarrassed in the slightest, I'm laughing at how immature you're behaving. Get a life.
Reply 24
Oh my word, you know what, I'm not entertaining you further. You are spending a lot of time responding, trying to tell somebody what they meant when they said something. Well that person knows better than you what they meant, regardless of what your interpretation of it was. I am not embarrassed in the slightest, I'm laughing at how immature you're behaving. Get a life.

lol

It's kind of funny how condescending a certain side of the argument tends to be, if not completely infuriating at the same time.

Shielded by their own ignorance a large number of supposed 'liberals' presume everyone else is just to stupid to understand, and they will try to inform you of this in the most elitist snobbiest way possible, tooting their own horn for 'understanding' on a level us peasants could never hope to, it is a complex issue after all and they are really intelligent.........

My favorite being the childlike 'I know you're wrong, but I'm not going to to tell you why, because you're a racist'. The contempt is palpable for those that don't share their beliefs.
Original post by Trapz99
Let's not completely end immigration but make sure that we only accept people whose skills we need and do not have enough of (certain engineering and medical specialties) and only accept them after a rigorous screening procress. Something like Australia's points based system but a bit more restricted would be good. We should also accept a number of refugees but only after a rigorous screening process to make sure that they have no links to terrorism or organised crime. We need to make sure that we only accept a number that we can afford to keep and should focus on trying to combat ISIS and ending the Syrian regime, the sources of the problem.

99.99% of the "refugees" cannot be safely vetted, the director of the CIA has even stated this.

You either import "refugees", or you have safety, pick one.
Of course not! We love our "cultural enrichment" here! Woohoo glory to eurape!
No good immigration is good for the country
Original post by Trapz99
Let's not completely end immigration but make sure that we only accept people whose skills we need and do not have enough of (certain engineering and medical specialties) and only accept them after a rigorous screening procress. Something like Australia's points based system but a bit more restricted would be good. We should also accept a number of refugees but only after a rigorous screening process to make sure that they have no links to terrorism or organised crime. We need to make sure that we only accept a number that we can afford to keep and should focus on trying to combat ISIS and ending the Syrian regime, the sources of the problem.

You do realise how little sens your comment makes considering your picture (IN vote for staying in the EU)?
The UK already has an immigration points based system. However, it's only applied to people coming from outside the EU. By leaving the EU, this system can be applied to both immigrants from outside AND inside the EU.
And no, the points based system can't be applied to EU citizens because of the EU free movement agreement.
Reply 30
No why stop now?

Muslim mayor of London needs to represent more people, so more and more come until the whole country is controlled by Muslims.

There is a Muslim on tsr homepage, keep em coming please!
Reply 31
Stopping immigration is the most stupid thing ever.

We should certainly control it, a starter would be reducing the 340+ thousand net per year to around 200,000 and gradually reduce it to a sustainable amount from there.

We should also give equal right to non-Europeans instead of an open door with just Europeans.

The left wing idea of open door mass uncontrolled, unregulated, no borders migration has failed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGfP8CyJAhg

I am all for helping people. Really, I have posted as much here, too. However, one cannot do so at the expense of one's own citizens' welfare. It's gotta be a pretty sad state of affairs if a young girl makes such a video saying she is now scared in her own town...
Stopping it outright is extreme but the more we practice effectively unlimited immigration the more the extreme is justified. I believe at present however the consensus among reasonable people is to significantly reduce it.

The EU is part of that equation but it doesn't fully answer the question what to do about the large amount of immigration further afield particularly from Africa and South Asia.

We are an Island so can more or less put a stop to immigration or reduce it to a crawl.
Original post by Trapz99
should focus on trying to combat ISIS and ending the Syrian regime, the sources of the problem.

Our attempts at "ending the Syrian regime" are the ultimate source of the current refugee crisis. The civil war would have most likely ended a long time ago had we not propped up the rebels and had we not destroyed the government in Libya. Our foreign policy is causing a lot of blowback.
Original post by brainhuman

I am all for helping people. Really, I have posted as much here, too. However, one cannot do so at the expense of one's own citizens' welfare. It's gotta be a pretty sad state of affairs if a young girl makes such a video saying she is now scared in her own town...

They could have just set the camps up a long distance away from any towns or cities. There was no real reason to build them slap bang in the middle of cities.

Of course if they didn't that would defeat the whole idea of the project though.
Certainly not, we can expand infrastructure to accommodate greater numbers.

We should though..
- Remove the right of immigrants to bring family over
- Require a large cash payment for citizenship (to keep the poor third worlders out)
- Look seriously at which religions we want to allow in.
- VETO further EU expansion except for Ukraine, Georgia and eventually Belarus until at least 2030.

While at the same time loosening restrictions for the developed Anglosphere and Asian Tigers.

- We should provide citizenship for Ghurka's, translator's and any Hong Kong citizen before 1997.
Should we stop it? No

However, I kind of agree with others when they say we need a tougher system like Australia's.

But then there's the EU side of things.
If we stay? Freedom of movement.
If we leave? I'd wager we end up like Switzerland and Norway and still have freedom of movement agreements with the EU.
Without immigrants, which act as cheap labours, there will be a serious impact on our social security. Therefore, I would be fine with the inflow of immigrants but there should be a limited number of them allowed into our country per year. This is to ensure that they do not dilute our culture and lifestyle.
Reply 39
Original post by brainhuman

That video is tragic. Don't know how Merkel sleeps at night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending