Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have all 5 traits of a genius! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    points in the vid can be applied to anyone.. even me, and I am not a genius. :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    Congrats, you're a special snowflake and now the whole world knows. (rofl)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    This.

True geniuses don't seek approval.
    Arguable, some of the greatest minds of all time were very narcissistic and egotistical, can't really say they don't seek approval
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by AlphaQuark)
    I can't tell you any more than the video can. There's so many different types of genius imo that the current definition of genius, and the connotations attached to it, are way too linear to be representative of all the types of genii (geniuses?)
    Well in that case I'll continue to believe I am a genius until proven otherwise...

(Original post by AlphaQuark)
    Arguable, some of the greatest minds of all time were very narcissistic and egotistical, can't really say they don't seek approval
    The most intelligent people I've ever known/known about have, while accepting their achievements, been very humble about their intelligence and said they wished they were more intelligent, that they felt pretty much average.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Plus they missed the bad handwriting thing - one of my teachers always said that people with really bad handwriting who are academic are geniuses because their brain works too fast for them to get it all down on paper
    I've heard about that and to some extent go along with it. But there's also a hell of a lot of people who have terrible handwriting. I have alright handwriting but if I'm writing fast it won't keep up with my brain (and thus looks scribbled). Someone I knew at school had terrible handwriting, literally illegible unless you were used to it and he admits it's just because he never tried. So the handwriting thing can go both ways and I wouldn't class it as a trait by itself. In tandem with other factors it tends to show up though.

As for the video, I have most, if not all the traits. I'm curious (always looking to see how things work), I read a lot (and can read pretty much anything, even if I hate or don't enjoy it), I do enjoy a mental challenge (moreso when it's something I'm passionate about though), I would describe myself as forgetful (although I tend to write everything down, use post it notes, set reminders and so on) and I do talk to myself.

I wouldn't necessarily class myself as a genius though. I recognise that academically I'm above average but even with these 5 traits I don't think I'm on a genius level. Especially since some of them can be explained away. For example I had a really good memory and recall at school which made tests and education in general fairly easy. For more mundane things I use reminders rather than having to remember.

It's certainly not as simple as "You have these traits, you're probably a genius". As the video says I'm above average and probably underestimate my own ability but I don't think I'd class myself as a genius.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I've heard about that and to some extent go along with it. But there's also a hell of a lot of people who have terrible handwriting. I have alright handwriting but if I'm writing fast it won't keep up with my brain (and thus looks scribbled). Someone I knew at school had terrible handwriting, literally illegible unless you were used to it and he admits it's just because he never tried. So the handwriting thing can go both ways and I wouldn't class it as a trait by itself. In tandem with other factors it tends to show up though.

As for the video, I have most, if not all the traits. I'm curious (always looking to see how things work), I read a lot (and can read pretty much anything, even if I hate or don't enjoy it), I do enjoy a mental challenge (moreso when it's something I'm passionate about though), I would describe myself as forgetful (although I tend to write everything down, use post it notes, set reminders and so on) and I do talk to myself.

I wouldn't necessarily class myself as a genius though. I recognise that academically I'm above average but even with these 5 traits I don't think I'm on a genius level. Especially since some of them can be explained away. For example I had a really good memory and recall at school which made tests and education in general fairly easy. For more mundane things I use reminders rather than having to remember.

It's certainly not as simple as "You have these traits, you're probably a genius". As the video says I'm above average and probably underestimate my own ability but I don't think I'd class myself as a genius.
    Repped for longevity and the evident effort put into creating such a long post.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Acsel)

Yeah I think you're right.
    It's difficult to characterise the traits of geniuses as it is. I mean, all geniuses are different and geniuses of different things.
    We're all geniuses in our own way, but if it is this way, :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    The egg. Before there were chickens there were dinosaurs, and they laid eggs.
    Well done. Only thing I would say, is that dinosaurs aren't too much of a recent common ancestor for chickens. It's most recent common ancestor is a bird of sorts(obviously I know) but whether it's extinct or not, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

Just another feel-good video for people who are just average.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think I match all of them. Depends on what is meant by "curious". If something takes my interest then yeah, I want to know everything there is to know about it. I'm not really curious as to what's going on with other people's lives or other countries though, tbh. Very rarely watch the news and only keep up with current affairs through social media.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Well done. Only thing I would say, is that dinosaurs aren't too much of a recent common ancestor for chickens. It's most recent common ancestor is a bird of sorts(obviously I know) but whether it's extinct or not, I don't know.
    IDK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    What did you get in your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    Can the messy handwriting thing apply to Mathematicians? I process things fast in my head so the numbers look really messy on paper .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Thank you, although this is actually one of my shorter posts hahaha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Yeah I think you're right.
    It's difficult to characterise the traits of geniuses as it is. I mean, all geniuses are different and geniuses of different things.
    We're all geniuses in our own way, but if it is this way, :dontknow:
    Agreed. The general definition for genius is just someone who is exceptional in some regard, be it academically, with an ability or otherwise. Trying to quantify exceptional traits in any way is virtually impossible.

While there are many traits (such as these) that geniuses have in common they're not unique traits by any stretch of the imagination. There's also no cause and effect. You won't read because you're a genius. And you may not be a genius if you read. It just so happens that lots of geniuses read. And I'm sure lots don't. These traits don't turn people into geniuses by any stretch of the imagination. Likewise having all 5 traits doesn't mean you're a genius (and by extension not having all 5 doesn't mean your not a genius).

The tl:dr of it is it's a random video posted to YouTube. There's no evidence of any kind to support anything said. And I'm sure it's just meant as a bit of fun.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Agreed. The general definition for genius is just someone who is exceptional in some regard, be it academically, with an ability or otherwise. Trying to quantify exceptional traits in any way is virtually impossible.

While there are many traits (such as these) that geniuses have in common they're not unique traits by any stretch of the imagination. There's also no cause and effect. You won't read because you're a genius. And you may not be a genius if you read. It just so happens that lots of geniuses read. And I'm sure lots don't. These traits don't turn people into geniuses by any stretch of the imagination. Likewise having all 5 traits doesn't mean you're a genius (and by extension not having all 5 doesn't mean your not a genius).

The tl:dr of it is it's a random video posted to YouTube. There's no evidence of any kind to support anything said. And I'm sure it's just meant as a bit of fun.
    :yy:
    Amen to you good Sir
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Can the messy handwriting thing apply to Mathematicians? I process things fast in my head so the numbers look really messy on paper .
    To an extent yes although I think there's an expectation that writing numbers and equations is faster and simply than words.

As a little experiment I wrote a simple sentence (The cat sat on the stairs) and a simple equation (5+5=10) to compare. In both cases I wrote as fast as I could.

When writing words there were substantial pauses between each word to give my hand time to catch up. Not leaving pauses between thinking about each word I was writing resulted in completely illegible squiggles. Writing with pauses in my thinking (but still writing as fast as possible) resulted in squiggles but it was legible.

Writing numbers on the other hand did not require any pauses. The time to write a word vs the time to write a number are radically different while the time to think each is not. The time to write 5 and the time to think 5 are much closer together, the result being you have more time to write numbers because your brain is not playing catch up as much.

I haven't tested it but I'd theorise that difference between the 2 becomes larger as you write more complex words and numbers. Think of a longer word (for example elaborate, 9 characters and 4 syllables). Compare that to a long number (5,486,252, again 9 but when thought you end up with five million, four hundred and eighty two thousand, two hundred and fifty two, or 20 syllables). Because numbers and maths in general are made up of functionally fewer characters in comparison to the words they represent it should be that you can keep up with your thoughts more and thus generally write better. I just tried writing that number and it turns out my hand was waiting for my brain to catch up

Not to say there's an issue with you having messy handwriting. Please don't read this and take away that you should be able to write numbers perfectly all the time. There are far more factors that influence writing than what I've explored here.

ReputationRep:
    I show all 5 signs of a genius...

tfw you're a genius but your AS exams came out BBCD

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    What did you get in your GCSEs?
    I got 8 GCSEs A*-C including English and Maths

(Original post by Acsel)
    Thank you, although this is actually one of my shorter posts hahaha
    LOL

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.