The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Dbi.

Original post by swirly

Feistyyyy
Good to see Wilshere is only expected to be out a month now, although I'm sure they'll be numerous setbacks.

Buzzing for today, 4-0 us is my prediction, cone on santi and monreal bring me home some fantasy points :biggrin:
We're not getting Benzema, if Wenger comes out and says we don't need him, that is pretty obvious.
Original post by Stefano93
@sr90 Your back 4 looking horrible tbf

Smalling and Darmian had very good games tbf.

Blind is absolute poverty and should be banished from the team as soon as possible. Smalling had to cover his **** ups several times.
Smalling potentially looking beasty though. Might have to start him with Cahill for England duty.
Reply 4586
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
We're not getting Benzema, if Wenger comes out and says we don't need him, that is pretty obvious.

I think he targeted his interview more at those who say that Benzema will 'transform' us in to a title winning side. Came out and basically said that if his current players add a few more goals to their game they're more than capable of mounting a serious title challenge.

Interesting that he didn't actually say no in that interview, but concentrated more on backing his current squad.

Wenger has always tried to build his squad's foundation on solidarity. With the media, most pundits and even Henry saying that we won't win the league with our current squad, Wenger essentially came out & said no, we can. & he's right tbh, the only thing that will probably stop us is our injuries. If we can miraculously avoid them then we can mount a sustainable title challenge imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SA-1
I think he targeted his interview more at those who say that Benzema will 'transform' us in to a title winning side. Came out and basically said that if his current players add a few more goals to their game they're more than capable of mounting a serious title challenge.

Interesting that he didn't actually say no in that interview, but concentrated more on backing his current squad.

Wenger has always tried to build his squad's foundation on solidarity. With the media, most pundits and even Henry saying that we won't win the league with our current squad, Wenger essentislly came out & said no, we can. & he's right tbh, the only thing that will probably stop us is our injuries. If we can miraculously avoid them then we can mount a sustainable title challenge imo.

True, but Benzema would give us another 20-25 goals as season. Along with Cech stopping them at the other end, it's a no-brainer that the Benzema signing would give us a much better chance.
Lots of people seem certain Benzema will come in and score 20 goals but personally I don't see it. He's an exceptionally consistent 1 in 2 player in la liga but his style of play isn't as physical as Sanchez and Costa so I don't think he'll adapt as quickly to the pl.
Don't get me wrong I think he'd be aan excellent long term signing but I see him taking a while to adapt
Original post by jam277
Smalling potentially looking beasty though. Might have to start him with Cahill for England duty.

He's woefully underrated by opposition fans. Been quality ever since his red card against City.
Reply 4590
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
True, but Benzema would give us another 20-25 goals as season. Along with Cech stopping them at the other end, it's a no-brainer that the Benzema signing would give us a much better chance.

Yeah it would, he would definitely lift the morale too (I would imagine its high enough anyway). Thing is though, being the out and out striker that Benzema is could potentially take goals away from players like Ramsey and Santi rather than adding to them.

There's also a fit Ox who probably knows that this season needs to be a break through for him, and that he needs to improve on his end product.

For us to attempt to win it this year, Ramsey needs to have a 13/14 season again too..

I think the most important factor this season for us will be our injuries. Isn't Benzema injured right now anyway? :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4591
How do we line up today?

IMO:
Cech
Bellerin Mert Kosc Monreal
Coq Ramsey
Ox/Theo Ozil Santi
Giroud

If Theo doesn't start then bring him on for Santi or Giroud, if Ox doesn't them I assume it would be a like for like change on the wings
Theo will start, he always scores against West Ham, always.

Arsenal still have not one good striker, so unless Santi turns up, won't be many goals - as usual.

Most likely something like Arsenal 1-2 West Ham

For some reason Arsenal have been playing less defensively since they got Cech, which is the worst management decision ever but let's just deal with it. Payet is outstanding for West Ham, if West Ham get it right they'll win.

Arsenal are the better team, just don't see them winning today.
Reply 4593
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Arsenal still have not one good striker, so unless Santi turns up, won't be many goals - as usual.

For some reason Arsenal have been playing less defensively since they got Cech, which is the worst management decision ever but let's just deal with it. Payet is outstanding for West Ham, if West Ham get it right they'll win.

Arsenal are the better team, just don't see them winning today.

I'd be very very surprised if we don't pick up 3 points today. Wenger always gets it right against West Ham. I can see them scoring if Payet has a good game but I'm certain we'll win. My guess is 3-1 to Arsenal.
Reply 4594

With this new look squad (with Giroud) which consists of 'not one good striker' we've played West Ham 6 times, scoring 19 goals, and haven't lost to them once..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kre
I'd be very very surprised if we don't pick up 3 points today. Wenger always gets it right against West Ham. I can see them scoring if Payet has a good game but I'm certain we'll win. My guess is 3-1 to Arsenal.

But if you watch pre season and any important games - Arsenal are the EXACT same team as last year to defend against. So it can be planned for. Whereas this West Ham team is literally brand new, no idea of game plan at all. That's the only reason I think West Ham have a shot at this, Arsenal are really predictable whereas West Ham aren't, today. 3-1 would be the score if West Ham still had that fat ****e Allardyce in charge. Probs 3-0. But Bilic is switching it all up, it may fail but it also may come as a surprise to such a bad manager we have in Wenger.
Original post by SA-1
With this new look squad (with Giroud) which consists of 'not one good striker' we've played West Ham 6 times, scoring 19 goals, and haven't lost to them once..

Blame Allardyce, because you didn't do that to any other team.

And I guarentee Walcott got at least 5 of them.
Reply 4598
Blame Allardyce, because you didn't do that to any other team.

And I guarentee Walcott got at least 5 of them.

Yeah, he did. So did Giroud though.

I thought you support Arsenal?

Edit: Theo actually got 4, Giroud got 5
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4599

**** sakes.

Took it didn't I

Latest