Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I don't have numbers for 2010 (I don't know where to find them because I'm not in the Karni clique/good at searching for things on the internet) but for 2009, grand total for the uni of £1.2 million and 130k from fresher medics. It is a massive deal here though, Karni (rag) basically runs first year.
    You just majorly wiped the floor with our total! Thats a massive total! It definitely sounds massive there though!

We have a guy on our committee this year who did his first degree at Nottingham and wants to introduce RAG raids to BL seeing as we don't do that at all (which I understand Nottingham do). We only raise money at four points in the year: our freshers crash course (one afternoon of ragging) in the first term, both our fashion/dance shows mid year, the dental beer race whenever it's scheduled and of course RAG week itself. If RAG raids work here, it would be absolutely fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    You just majorly wiped the floor with our total! Thats a massive total! It definitely sounds massive there though!

We have a guy on our committee this year who did his first degree at Nottingham and wants to introduce RAG raids to BL seeing as we don't do that at all (which I understand Nottingham do). We only raise money at four points in the year: our freshers crash course (one afternoon of ragging) in the first term, both our fashion/dance shows mid year, the dental beer race whenever it's scheduled and of course RAG week itself. If RAG raids work here, it would be absolutely fantastic!
    RAG raids were some of my favourite bits of 1st year, and I only went on about 3 of them because I fail at drinking lambrini/ribena/vodka/more white cider mixes under pressure. In Birmingham we were all pirates having elaborate sword fights outside the Bull Ring and my mate got attacked by a busker. Our best event is bed-push, where everyone scrubs up, divides into teams and pushes hospital beds and wheelchairs down the two main routes into the city centre- blocking traffic, nearly getting run over shaking a tin at the drivers side window from the middle of the road, acting out cardiac arrests at pelican crossings and making a general nuisance of ourselves.

We only do this in the first semester of first year, though. There are no real RAG related activities after this (apart from a few returners raids) unless you are one of the Karni reps or on the exec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    So there's nothing stopping QMUL-ers from going to BL events?
    Nope that's fine. I've seen one there though. I imagine a BL student would do fine at a QMUL event but not the other way around. You should be fine though, as a medic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I don't have numbers for 2010 (I don't know where to find them because I'm not in the Karni clique/good at searching for things on the internet) but for 2009, grand total for the uni of £1.2 million and 130k from fresher medics. It is a massive deal here though, Karni (rag) basically runs first year.
    How much of that is sponsorship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How much of that is sponsorship?
    Depends on the group, I'm not the guy to ask but I'm under the impression that some halls get some. Never heard of medics being given anything significant.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf are rag raids? I didn't really even hear about any rag stuff here.

ReputationRep:
    Start back with lectures tomorrow. I don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Wtf are rag raids? I didn't really even hear about any rag stuff here.
    Everyone assembles in themed fancy dress, gets on a bus and goes to a city somewhere. Shake a collecting tin for a few hours then everyone gets back on the bus and get totally and utterly debauched on the ride home.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, induction details arrived! Was starting to think they'd forgotten I was going :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    So, going on holiday before the student loan was sorted is a schoolboy error. Add to that, Payroll haven't paid me for the last month. Fail.

ReputationRep:
    This intro lecture week is so very dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    That sucks man, just skip 'em? There's always very little actual useful information in our intro lectures, unless they're like system intros which give a brief outline of the system.

If it helps, I spent all of day sanding and spraying primer. I've now realised I effectively have two days to pack up everything for university, dismantle my current PC to remove the water and build a new one as well as spraying the top coat and putting it back together. I haven't even ordered any rivets, I'm so useless, I'm going to have to use silver rivets only to drill them out AGAIN to use black ones in like a week.

Sigh.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We don't get intro lectures.

We've gone straight in with lectures on interpreting an ECG, and abnormalities of a haematopoietic stem cell :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    That sucks man, just skip 'em? There's always very little actual useful information in our intro lectures, unless they're like system intros which give a brief outline of the system.

If it helps, I spent all of day sanding and spraying primer. I've now realised I effectively have two days to pack up everything for university, dismantle my current PC to remove the water and build a new one as well as spraying the top coat and putting it back together. I haven't even ordered any rivets, I'm so useless, I'm going to have to use silver rivets only to drill them out AGAIN to use black ones in like a week.

Sigh.
    Unfortunately it's pretty important - intro to the clinical years, so lectures on examination on the major systems, pathology/therapeutics and ethics/communications stuff. Just an anti-climax week when starting clinical stuff I guess, but useful enough.

Busy times for you then! I would have no idea where to even start with assembling a computer, so I make do with the Xbox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)

Sigh.
    That all sounds like a lot of effort but I'm sure it will be a pretty spectacular build once you're done. On a similar note, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1777675
    I've finally got around to looking at some components.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    We don't get intro lectures.

We've gone straight in with lectures on interpreting an ECG, and abnormalities of a haematopoietic stem cell :emo:
    I think ECG interpretation can be pretty cool. Maybe not so much the normal rhythm but all the abnormal ones, how one tiny line being at a different level makes so much difference.
    • PS Helper

I'm sure it beats our upper limb lectures next week! Are they useful though?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it's pretty important - intro to the clinical years, so lectures on examination on the major systems, pathology/therapeutics and ethics/communications stuff. Just an anti-climax week when starting clinical stuff I guess, but useful enough.

Busy times for you then! I would have no idea where to even start with assembling a computer, so I make do with the Xbox
    Had that all last week: the 3 hours of ANTT and hand washing was slightly overkill in my opinion!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I think ECG interpretation can be pretty cool. Maybe not so much the normal rhythm but all the abnormal ones, how one tiny line being at a different level makes so much difference.
    Yeah we were just looking at normal ones today. I have to wait until our cardiology module for the abnormal ones :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    I'm sure it beats our upper limb lectures next week! Are they useful though?
    Yeah its useful, don't wanna be starting blindly on the wards! Although without practice this will most likely still be the case.

Not gonna lie, happy I don't have to do year 2 again! Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.