The Student Room Group

UCAS choices based on applicant success rates?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theonetruequeen
So you're pretty certain this considers people who got offers instead of those who ended up going?

I agree though, most UCL engineering offer-holders would prefer going to places like Imperial and Cambridge over it.

Yep, it's the offer-rate. 84% of applicants ending up attending UCL would cause some serious accommodation issues methinks.

Exactly!
Original post by Princepieman
Yep, it's the offer-rate. 84% of applicants ending up attending UCL would cause some serious accommodation issues methinks.

Exactly!

I find it depressing that Primary Ed is just as competitive statistically as something like Medicine! When people talk about competitive degrees, you rarely hear anyone mention teaching. In fact, people usually say they opposite - my doctor and a psychotherapist I had both said I'd get into the degree no problem, but they obviously have no idea of how secretly and quietly competitive teaching really is.:sad:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I find it depressing that Primary Ed is just as competitive statistically as something like Medicine! When people talk about competitive degrees, you rarely hear anyone mention teaching. In fact, people usually say they opposite - my doctor and a psychotherapist I had both said I'd get into the degree no problem, but they obviously have no idea of how secretly and quietly competitive teaching really is.:sad:

But also how many totally unsuitable people apply for it. Having interviewed for PGCE places in my time, I was amazed at how many complete non-starters applied.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
But also how many totally unsuitable people apply for it. Having interviewed for PGCE places in my time, I was amazed at how many complete non-starters applied.

You've interviewed for PGCEs? Oh please tell me if you have any tips!!!! What makes a suitable applicsnt and what made you like and pick people?? :zomg:
You've interviewed for PGCEs? Oh please tell me if you have any tips!!!! What makes a suitable applicsnt and what made you like and pick people?? :zomg:

Well, it was for secondary English and not primary BA, so I don't know what they would be looking for. However, you can tell a mile off if someone doesn't have it, but it's harder to define what 'it' is on paper than it is to spot in the flesh. Being a normal person is quite a help! Having a clear idea of what teaching is about in the real world rather than an idealised view of it is a start. People tend to be a bit evangelical about how much good they will do for the lucky children they get to teach, but you really need to be pretty tough and be aware that the ideal classroom doesn't really exist and that some kids have such a tough time that you are not going to be able to solve all their problems. Don't romanticise it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, it was for secondary English and not primary BA, so I don't know what they would be looking for. However, you can tell a mile off if someone doesn't have it, but it's harder to define what 'it' is on paper than it is to spot in the flesh. Being a normal person is quite a help! Having a clear idea of what teaching is about in the real world rather than an idealised view of it is a start. People tend to be a bit evangelical about how much good they will do for the lucky children they get to teach, but you really need to be pretty tough and be aware that the ideal classroom doesn't really exist and that some kids have such a tough time that you are not going to be able to solve all their problems. Don't romanticise it.

Okies! I'm thinking it'll be a bit hard to get the right balance between sounding evangelical and a negative nancy, though:giggle:Thank you:hugs:
Okies! I'm thinking it'll be a bit hard to get the right balance between sounding evangelical and a negative nancy, though:giggle:Thank you:hugs:

Sound like an adult realist with enthusiasm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending