The Student Room Group

If you could have a degree but without doing any work would you?

Scroll to see replies

As much as I would love to I have worked so hard just to get into uni as my goal and now that I have that I am looking forward to my course but I don't particularly like exams but it's the course that I want so I will do anything to pass it. So I would want to go to uni to do the full course. (My course doesn't have much exams anyway!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellie0497
Who ever claims they prefer working for it is lying
I loved working hard (and many times extremely hard to the point of being told to ease up) for both my degree and masters.

It's not difficult to immerse oneself into a subject one has a passion for.

I did not see the degree as a piece of paper and a passport to a higher pay packet or a corporate career ladder. University allowed me to read and learn the subjects I loved and had a great time doing it and to make lifelong friends in the process.

(B.Sc. Electronic Engineering Design. M.Sc. Advanced Aerospace Systems Engineering)

OP. No. I would want to work hard every time. There is no sense of achievement, satisfaction or self-respect in gaining something without working for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wtf would be the point? I would wind up horrifically underqualified for whatever job I wanted to do afterwards. Let alone the fact that I'm actually interested in what I'm studying.
Original post by Maker
LOL, are you writing from your job at Starbucks?

No but I do happen to know some people who work there with BSc's and/or from a top 10 university :wink:

Must be weird when you get to interviews huh? Actually having to work something out for yourself using independent thought?!

Oh why can't you use Google in interviews?! That got me through my BSc, why can't it get me into a job?! D:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Why do you feel like it's okay to undermine the arts/ humanities?

I don't, I think arts and humanities are very important and should be studied. My issue is people study them at degree level and then expect people to give them a job for their degree.
without question, who wants to spend their time studying, especailly when you forget 99.9% of the content 4 minutes after the final exam.
Reply 46
Original post by FailedTeacher
You mean those degrees where you have to be original, creative, innovative?

Do you mean science degrees where you repeat the same stuff? :')

IF arts and humanities departments were regularly producing Brontes, Dickens and even Rowlings I would agree with you but they don't. Studying the greats don't make you a great or even a mediocre.
Reply 47
Original post by FailedTeacher
No but I do happen to know some people who work there with BSc's and/or from a top 10 university :wink:

Must be weird when you get to interviews huh? Actually having to work something out for yourself using independent thought?!

Oh why can't you use Google in interviews?! That got me through my BSc, why can't it get me into a job?! D:

I was under the impression you were trying to refute my rather tongue in cheek post.
Original post by Maker
IF arts and humanities departments were regularly producing Brontes, Dickens and even Rowlings I would agree with you but they don't. Studying the greats don't make you a great or even a mediocre.

But coping and pasting onto essays or memorising facts does?

Give everyone with access to Google a BSc :wink:

I of course kid, BSc of course have their merits but BA have their value; and the truth is, we need each other.
Original post by Maker
I don't, I think arts and humanities are very important and should be studied. My issue is people study them at degree level and then expect people to give them a job for their degree.

Not everything can be solved by science, sometimes what the world needs is forward thinking, innovation and creative thinking.

To study at degree level is to develop into a higher intellectual self, capable of achieving greater. How else do we make that next step?

I don't think anyone should expect a job for their degree, no graduate (BA or BSc) has a right to a job after they graduate. It is up to you to be the right person for that job and use all that you learned (not just in the classroom) and turn it into performance.
Original post by uberteknik
I loved working hard (and many times extremely hard to the point of being told to ease up) for both my degree and masters.

It's not difficult to immerse oneself into a subject one has a passion for.

I did not see the degree as a piece of paper and a passport to a higher pay packet or a corporate career ladder. University allowed me to read and learn the subjects I loved and had a great time doing it and to make lifelong friends in the process.

(B.Sc. Electronic Engineering Design. M.Sc. Advanced Aerospace Systems Engineering)

OP. No. I would want to work hard every time. There is no sense of achievement, satisfaction or self-respect in gaining something without working for it.

all of it though? I enjoy learning stuff I'm interested in but there was quite a bit of uninteresting filler material in the mix too when I was at uni.
Original post by Joinedup
all of it though? I enjoy learning stuff I'm interested in but there was quite a bit of uninteresting filler material in the mix too when I was at uni.
Pretty much. Strangely enough, the first year physics and maths modules were designed to bring students up to the same standard from very different educational backgrounds and then advance that ability. The first two terms were seen as unnecessary by those students who had already covered much of the work at A-level. Apart from that, I can honestly say there was hardly any filler material.
Original post by Maker
LOL, are you writing from your job at Starbucks?

Arts graduates =/= Baristas. I've seen some Engineering grads work as baristas after uni, it's not an implicit relationship to being an arts grad.

One's ability to get a job is about much more than whatever their degree says, it's about their innate abilities, qualities and characteristics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skeptical_john
Scenario is this: You can have the degree with what ever classification you would've actually got given you had worked. You still have to take the tuition loans and all the other costs but you don't have to turn up to any lecture or do any of the work.

I would do the work because have the degree behind you and to hold you up will help you in your future life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending