Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Clear chest sign is a picture of a pair of lungs with a diagonal arrow through them, innit?

And I believe the thing in my sig is a type of firework.
    Yeah I know that now :p: Tbf, that was back in December of my first year, when I knew next to nothing :p: Now I even know how to draw crackles in the lungs

Really!? It looks like some weird creepy monster thing :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys have any useful online resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallys)
    Do you guys have any useful online resources?
    Tried looking at the Resources for Med students wiki link? Else you might need to be a little more specific about what you're after...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I learn to take bloods on Wednesday

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    I'm surprised you lot didn't do that straight off. You'll love it, and its certainly good to be able to help the docs out a little more.

Ditto in just over a week. Should be good!
    The novelty wears off when you have to take 10+ a day as a F1.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    You could leave us to be happy for a bit before spoiling it :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Clear chest sign is a picture of a pair of lungs with a diagonal arrow through them, innit?

And I believe the thing in my sig is a type of firework.
    Don't forget to write "clear" next to the arrow, the arrow is there because it is pointing to the textual description of the lungs

ReputationRep:
    Doing my SSC in California now...so refreshing not to be bogged down with all the bare below the elbows nonsense. White coats = the bomb, having six extra pockets is bliss
    • PS Helper

Guys, can I have your thoughts on iBScs please!... I've always been really interested in Psychology so wanted to intercalate in that. But I don't want to restrict myself to anything because I have no clear idea about what I'm interested in doing in the future. To be safe is it better to apply for something like Physiology/Anatomy, which would be hopefully useful in any career? Or am I better off just picking something that I think would enjoy more even if it's not related to what I may do in the future?! Any help/advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Bit of a worry that my first entry into the dissecting rooms prompted retching for at least 5 mins. I always knew that I don't react to strong smells well so expected it. After a while, I kinda got used to it. However, we were looking at prosections and I wasn't bothered by that but rather the embalmed body on one of the tables. Most of my class were round it very quickly and really interested but I avoided it. Generally, I'm not bothered by sights but I'm not sure that I even want to dissect which happens later in the course. I realise that the donors wanted to be dissected but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it.

Can anyone offer any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    Guys, can I have your thoughts on iBScs please!... I've always been really interested in Psychology so wanted to intercalate in that. But I don't want to restrict myself to anything because I have no clear idea about what I'm interested in doing in the future. To be safe is it better to apply for something like Physiology/Anatomy, which would be hopefully useful in any career? Or am I better off just picking something that I think would enjoy more even if it's not related to what I may do in the future?! Any help/advice would be appreciated
    Do something you enjoy. I'm only two weeks into mine and I can already see it's going to be a long year. Doesn't really matter what you do it in provided you get a decent classification and hopefully a publication out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Sure, but whilst the novelty is there I'll make the most of it. I'm sure you felt the same.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta give some naff presentation about the patient experience of a specific disease tomorrow. I should probably write something today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    Hi all

Bit of a worry that my first entry into the dissecting rooms prompted retching for at least 5 mins. I always knew that I don't react to strong smells well so expected it. After a while, I kinda got used to it. However, we were looking at prosections and I wasn't bothered by that but rather the embalmed body on one of the tables. Most of my class were round it very quickly and really interested but I avoided it. Generally, I'm not bothered by sights but I'm not sure that I even want to dissect which happens later in the course. I realise that the donors wanted to be dissected but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it.

Can anyone offer any advice?
    The smell of formalin used to make me want to be sick, now it makes me very, very hungry.

TBH, I think you should be more worried if you are salivating at the prospect playing with dead people. When the time comes and you actually have to start working on a cadaver, it will feel incredibly strange for the first few minutes while the first couple of incisions (that you don't even have to be involved in, I'm sure someone else will want to) are made and whichever cavity you are doing first is opened up. After this, it is something you will very quickly get used to because you will be concentrating far too hard on not making a terrible hash of things (which you will anyway, because 1st years dissect like a blind man with a cheese grater) to let your imagination run wild. In my, admitted limited, experience of the DR, I have never encountered anybody who is unable to do at least something.

Just remember that while your cadaver is indeed a person, who used to talk and breath and walk around like us, they are now no longer using their body so they've let you have it. Wherever they are now, they are not going to mind you dismantling them. You can't hurt a cadaver.

Edit: DR survival tip- eat a decent breakfast, have some bacon ready for lunch straight afterwards and never, ever turn up hungover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Thanks very much for your reply and your words of encouragement. I did indeed feel very hungry afterwards and was quite surprised by it but others said the same. I have plenty of time between now and Xmas to get used to the formalin and hopefully, get my head round dissecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    The smell of formalin used to make me want to be sick, now it makes me very, very hungry.

TBH, I think you should be more worried if you are salivating at the prospect playing with dead people. When the time comes and you actually have to start working on a cadaver, it will feel incredibly strange for the first few minutes while the first couple of incisions (that you don't even have to be involved in, I'm sure someone else will want to) are made and whichever cavity you are doing first is opened up. After this, it is something you will very quickly get used to because you will be concentrating far too hard on not making a terrible hash of things (which you will anyway, because 1st years dissect like a blind man with a cheese grater) to let your imagination run wild. In my, admitted limited, experience of the DR, I have never encountered anybody who is unable to do at least something.

Just remember that while your cadaver is indeed a person, who used to talk and breath and walk around like us, they are now no longer using their body so they've let you have it. Wherever they are now, they are not going to mind you dismantling them. You can't hurt a cadaver.

Edit: DR survival tip- eat a decent breakfast, have some bacon ready for lunch straight afterwards and never, ever turn up hungover.
    I've got an initiation on Wednesday followed by a full day of dissection... sympathy please
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I already hate histology. Can anybody recommend a half-decent textbook that will help me get my head around the basics? The library/reading list has loads, but don't have the time to read through them all atm.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I already hate histology. Can anybody recommend a half-decent textbook that will help me get my head around the basics? The library/reading list has loads, but don't have the time to read through them all atm.
    Surely you of all people should know to check the textbook thread or article
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Beska)
    Wheater's is really good
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Surely you of all people should know to check the textbook thread or article
    I don't really need to learn histology per se, I need to know how to look at histological slides. Does that make sense? The 2D representation of 3D things confuses me somewhat. :p:

(Original post by billet-doux)
    Wheater's is really good
    Cheers.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I don't really need to learn histology per se, I need to know how to look at histological slides. Does that make sense? The 2D representation of 3D things confuses me somewhat. :p:

Cheers.
    :poke:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Either you have an AAM or my memory has gone..

Arghh, having to miss a lecture that actually looks like it could be useful and might miss 2nd anatomy practical thanks to my body's inability to keep anything down atm :sigh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.