The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
What about Canada? Or is that pretty much just like the US? I think Aus is probably top of my list at the moment. Any idea what kind of thing you want to do?

I did my final year elective at McGill. It was great, they treat you differently as a medical student there. Much more responsibility, much more part of the team. Sounds like it's very similar to what digitalis is talking about in the US but without some of the issues regarding private health. They are quite anal about paperwork which is annoying but well worth it.
Reply 6221
I can see that broad learning objectives are going to be the absolute bane of my life...
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
I can see that broad learning objectives are going to be the absolute bane of my life...

No, "what health professionals are involved in the care of haematological patients" and "discuss the psycho-social effects of x on the patient/family/society" will be the banes of your life :p:
Does anyone know if the BMA usually sends the Student BMJ to term time addresses or home addresses?
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
No, "what health professionals are involved in the care of haematological patients" and "discuss the psycho-social effects of x on the patient/family/society" will be the banes of your life :p:

:colonhash:

I wish that wasn't true but it is..

Current LO for PBL on burns.. "What are the social issues affecting teen parents, including child abuse/protection?"

Spoiler

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:colonhash:

I wish that wasn't true but it is..

Current LO for PBL on burns.. "What are the social issues affecting teen parents, including child abuse/protection?"

Spoiler

I've done my PBL :smug:
Original post by a moist feeling
I've done my PBL :smug:

I'm feeling productive today so will get it done.. honest :tongue:

Your productivity worries me :sigh:
I'm feeling productive today so will get it done.. honest :tongue:

Your productivity worries me :sigh:

I have nothing in the tank today though. Going to sleep after 5am just is not good :tongue:
Original post by planetconwy1
Does anyone know if the BMA usually sends the Student BMJ to term time addresses or home addresses?

If you haven't got any student BMJs yet this year, go on the BMA website, log in and you can check your personal details. There only seems to be space for one address in there, if it's not your uni address you can change it and you should start getting your sBMJ in the right place.
Original post by a moist feeling
I have nothing in the tank today though. Going to sleep after 5am just is not good :tongue:

Your body clock is seriously messed up :erm:

A certain lady keeping you awake again? :wink:

Bet you won't be asleep until like 3am at least tonight again as well :tongue:
Failed an eDrug calculation test. It seems I've forgotten how to do basic arithmetic. Ah well. :s-smilie:
Your body clock is seriously messed up :erm:

A certain lady keeping you awake again? :wink:

Bet you won't be asleep until like 3am at least tonight again as well :tongue:

Yup my body clock is just screwed :tongue:

I will not dignify that with a response :hand:
Original post by Renal
Yes and no.

You get points for audit. Maximum points for designings, completing, improving, repeating and closing the loop on your own. Less points for every bit of that you miss out.

However, if you can show involvement in a range of audit projects, as well has having one or two of your own - you're on a winner.

Ah. Damn. :p: I have none :frown:. But I think it would be a bit weird to go round asking every A&E department I go to if they've got an audit on?

Also lol @ TSR advertising St Georges University medical school to me (not the one in the UK the one in the caribbean or wherever it is...

I feel a bit scared at the moment in A&E as basically I see the patients and then the reg does a quick check of the history and examination and then discharges :/ :/ :/
I'm sure I'm gonna kill someone, wtf do I know about medicine.
Original post by Beska

You will learn that they are not all they seem and will soon learn to do workus minimus! Unless your super keen.....

I have this assignment to write and im not sure i dont give a crap quite cuts it.
So I'm doing a library project SSC at the moment, it's so much harder than it seems! Apparently we need to show evidence of critical evlauation. Does anyone have any idea what this means? I presume just discussing the evidence presented and say what's good/bad about it?!
Original post by billet-doux
So I'm doing a library project SSC at the moment, it's so much harder than it seems! Apparently we need to show evidence of critical evlauation. Does anyone have any idea what this means? I presume just discussing the evidence presented and say what's good/bad about it?!

I would say critical evaluation would be a critical appraisal of a paper. There are guides online (www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/.../What_is_critical_appraisal.pdf) showing you how to appraise a paper. It's like you critique the sample size, the method of the research (randomized or not), comment on the results, was there bias, etc. Not sure if this is what your school is looking for when they say "critical evaluation". If it was me, I would assume that's what they are looking for but obviously a shortened/brief few sentences about it vs. a whole essay on one paper.
Reply 6236
What happens with we graduate and don't like the job?

Suddenly realised that 18-year old me wasn't that smart after all; choosing a six year vocational degree on the hopes I might enjoy the subject/job? yeeeeeh
Final anatomy exam of medical school tomorrow woooo

(providing I don't go on to resit it...)
Reply 6238
Original post by crazylemon
Arn't you on your Bsc Year?

What has made you so disillusioned with it? You can go and get a job doing something else if you really have fallen out of love with it.

I'm starting to notice I only come in here to whine, so I won't.

Indeed I am on my BSc year, and it's very interesting, but it's depth rather than breadth - research isn't the high octane thrill I anticipated; teaching didn't give me the satisfaction I thought it would.

This leaves clinician, which I wasn't certain I wanted to be when I started! So now I'm scared (which isn't helping my hairline, in its increasingly severe recession).

Are you guys 100% you want to be doctors? I can't understand kids that have wanted to be one since childhood... how do they know!? someone please dictate my life decisions

Am I too late to become a computer games programmer? I'm torn between getting out now with my tail between my legs and a BSc, or risking another 3 years for provisional GMC registration but then being too old to try something new

On a lighter note:

(edited 12 years ago)
Ugh got the fresher's flu, surely should have had this a month ago.

Latest

Trending

Trending