The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hashman
Do AS levels even count for anything this year apart from predictions

No, not unless you were doing exams such as maths, which are still on the old system
Original post by agahaga
Will kings and Bristol not discriminate due to the band 3? :/

I am not sure you will have to contact them directly regarding that, I cannot find any information on their website saying they do.
Reply 622
Right so this is my (average) profile. Which universities would you recommend?
I'm thinking St George, Leicester, Imperial

GCSE: 4A* 5A 3B
AS: AABB
Predicted: A*AAA (A* in math because 100 UMS in C3)
UKCAT: 650
Work experience and voluntary:
1 year volunteer in hospital (extremely high patient contact)
1 week in GP
1 day shadowing a doctor
Tutor maths in school
Prefect (if that gets any points)
Cricket for school
So I got AABB at AS (History,Chemistry,Biology and Maths respectively) and I am quite disappointed since I was predicted 4As, but I've decided to move past this and carry on with the application process. I may or may not take on Maths to A2 and I just wanted to know as the rest of my AS grades don't count, how much the B in Maths will affect my application. I'm on track for an A*A*A prediction (A*AA at least) from speaking to my teachers so I would just like to know your thoughts.

Anything is appreciated. Thanks☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 624
Original post by agahaga
No, not unless you were doing exams such as maths, which are still on the old system

Do any universities take a huge consideration of AS grades? The requirements say you just need Bs (for the universities I'm applying for). Basically, are they just to determine your predicted grade.
Original post by ipanda99
So I got AABB at AS (History,Chemistry,Biology and Maths respectively) and I am quite disappointed since I was predicted 4As, but I've decided to move past this and carry on with the application process. I may or may not take on Maths to A2 and I just wanted to know as the rest of my AS grades don't count, how much the B in Maths will affect my application. I'm on track for an A*A*A prediction (A*AA at least) from speaking to my teachers so I would just like to know your thoughts.

Anything is appreciated. Thanks☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you're predicted at least AAA and avoid Med Schools that like to see high AS grades, you should be fine.
Original post by agahaga

oh right nice :biggrin:
Hey everyone! I'm applying to med school this year with my choices being Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield. Would love to connect with all you other applicants out there - join the thread! :biggrin:
Guys, what're the odds of being predicted an A* in biology with 84% UMS. I know, I know, I shouldn't really be asking for it, but it's more of "application padding" rather than me genuinely believing I would achieve it. I've already been promised to be predicted an A* in chemistry (98%) and an A in maths (86%) so I should be fine with the application in general, but is it worth trying to get another A*? If it is worth it, any good suggestions?
Reply 629
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Guys, what're the odds of being predicted an A* in biology with 84% UMS. I know, I know, I shouldn't really be asking for it, but it's more of "application padding" rather than me genuinely believing I would achieve it. I've already been promised to be predicted an A* in chemistry (98%) and an A in maths (86%) so I should be fine with the application in general, but is it worth trying to get another A*? If it is worth it, any good suggestions?

How do you have UMS for biology and chemistry?
To be honest I doubt it would matter much for anywhere other than Cambridge. Most places I've looked at don't really look at A-level predictions beyond whether you're predicted AAA/A*AA, though obviously check depending on where you're applying.
I heard they just look at predictions this year, not as grades
Original post by SGHD26716
Do any universities take a huge consideration of AS grades? The requirements say you just need Bs (for the universities I'm applying for). Basically, are they just to determine your predicted grade.
Original post by Zedna
How do you have UMS for biology and chemistry?
To be honest I doubt it would matter much for anywhere other than Cambridge. Most places I've looked at don't really look at A-level predictions beyond whether you're predicted AAA/A*AA, though obviously check depending on where you're applying.

Thanks. Also, the UMS is on your results paper, isn't it?
Original post by agahaga
I heard they just look at predictions this year, not as grades

Bc some scjools didn't do AS's
Original post by agahaga

Oh cool weirdly my teacher said my AS maths grade wont be cashed in im guessing unis wont see it right
Reply 634
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Thanks. Also, the UMS is on your results paper, isn't it?

It is for maths, but for the reformed ones I just had raw marks i.e. the mark you got in total across your AS exams papers - there's no UMS for reformed AS Levels.
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone would be willing to give me some advice on whether I have a realistic chance of applying for Medicine for 2017 entry?

- My GCSE grades are 8 A*s, 1 A (in French), and two B's (both in Maths)

- My AS-Levels results are AAABB (A's in Biology, History and Religious Studies; B's in Chemistry and Critical Thinking -- although I know this particular subject wouldn't be considered as part of an offer) I'm currently trying to write my EPQ, and am hoping to work hard enough for a top grade.

- My UKCAT score was really poor, unfortunately! I wouldn't recommend taking the exam on results day, if you can help it. My average across the three assessed units was 616.6

- I have a weeks worth of working experience in the Outpatient's department at a local hospital, and a further week lined up in October at a private hospital.

- Since December, I've been volunteering in an elderly care ward at the same hospital in which I undertook my work experience placement (I really recommend trying to volunteer at a hospital to anyone; I've found it incredibly useful in determining my decision to pursue Medicine) I recently volunteered for a week at a respite centre for people with disabilities and their carers (honestly, the best D-of-E residential imaginable!)

- I volunteer at a Red Cross Charity shop (till-work and stock prep, etc.) and I'm a Cadet with SJA. I also raised money to travel to Cambodia for a month last summer, and undertook project work and a jungle/mountain trek there (a bit random, I know! But if you have the opportunity to do something like this, with a travel company, then definitely go for it -- it's incredibly rewarding!!)

I kind of fear the answer, but I know my application isn't really competitive enough at the moment for Medicine. Would those who have been accepted, or have had experience with admissions for Medicine, recommend I take a gap year and try to get really strong A-Level results, instead, as the most sensible option?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zedna
It is for maths, but for the reformed ones I just had raw marks i.e. the mark you got in total across your AS exams papers - there's no UMS for reformed AS Levels.

Really? I got UMS marks for WJEC and I'm taking reformed AS Levels. How strange.
Hi, I'm applying too with choices of BSMS, UCL, Aberdeen and Leicester :smile: (too low at UKCAT for sheffield but ah well :frown:)
Original post by FairyLiquid11
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone would be willing to give me some advice on whether I have a realistic chance of applying for Medicine for 2017 entry?

- My AS-Levels results are AAABB (A's in Biology, History and Religious Studies; B's in Chemistry and Critical Thinking -- although I know this particular subject wouldn't be considered as part of an offer) I'm currently trying to write my EPQ, and am hoping to work hard enough for a top grade.

- My UKCAT score was really poor, unfortunately! I wouldn't recommend taking the exam on results day, if you can help it. My average across the three assessed units was 616.6

- I have a weeks worth of working experience in the Outpatient's department at a local hospital, and a further week lined up in October at a private hospital.

- Since December, I've been volunteering in an elderly care ward at the same hospital in which I undertook my work experience placement (I really recommend trying to volunteer at a hospital to anyone; I've found it incredibly useful in determining my decision to pursue Medicine) I recently volunteered for a week at a respite centre for people with disabilities and their carers (honestly, the best D-of-E residential imaginable!)

- I volunteer at a Red Cross Charity shop (till-work and stock prep, etc.) and I'm a Cadet with SJA. I also raised money to travel to Cambodia for a month last summer, and undertook project work and a jungle/mountain trek there (a bit random, I know! But if you have the opportunity to do something like this, with a travel company, then definitely go for it -- it's incredibly rewarding!!)

I kind of fear the answer, but I know my application isn't really competitive enough at the moment for Medicine. Would those who have been accepted, or have had experience with admissions for Medicine, recommend I take a gap year and try to get really strong A-Level results, instead, as the most sensible option?

Have a look at sheffield, QUB, birmingham, bristol.

Also look at BSMS, leeds, UCL (your grades are great), lancaster for BMAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FairyLiquid11

Don't take a gap year, your profile is good. It's just you need to find what medical schools would favour you. I would suggest finding schools that do not consider the UKCAT too much and whether or not you'd be up for doing the BMAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending