Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    That ain't in me
    Minor man, put it in yourself. Get a tailored suit made, impressive shiny shoes, make sure the facial hair is on point and that the scalp hair looks slick.

Then you come across confident, funny and curious. Serenade the *****, flatter him. Make sure he knows that you think sunshine comes out of his arse, and that you're determined to make it come out of your own. A successful return for one Deloitte evening or one law firm event or any networking **** is just one business card from someone who is senior to you. When you accept the card, you bang out your £5k Italian leather wallet to put it in, impress ****-suckee, you know.

You got a business card, ring him in a week or two, set up suttin for the holidays, done. You got a link, you got a way in.

ReputationRep:
    Makes me feel better that in a firm I applied to and go rejected from , it's intake this year are all vast vast majority ugly. No amount of good career will solve that. As are most firms. I notice some good firms do choose better looking people though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Brb person who has opportunity handed to them is *****ing about others who don't

Strong irony/10
    Bait taken/10

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Guy probably worked hard for it tbf. Allow being investment banker anyway. As long as I'm on a 100k job in a few years I'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shady's back)
    Investment banking is boring anyway, I honestly don't want that life. 17 hour days? No thanks.

I'm going to be rich, but not at the expense of not playing 5 a side each week, or raising my children. You'll say 'do it for 2-3 years then get out of there' but life aint like that lol, burned bridges in those 2-3 years can't be recovered so easily.

Big tings in the accountancy firms and consulting is what you want to be doing
    Yeah allow IB. That's not my life either.

Yeah I'm planning on consulting. Decent day shifts, general 9-5s with nice money. Also can accelerate your career to another position. Management, being a director etc.

It's all about the MULA for me right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Guy probably worked hard for it tbf. Allow being investment banker anyway. As long as I'm on a 100k job in a few years I'll be fine.
    Lol good luck on that in this economy. Think you'd have a better chance of that abroad tbh. This country is **** for graduates.

ReputationRep:
    are you ****ting me fam. this was what i was saying before, the expectations of grads are way too high nowadays. everyone wants to mint it but the reality is you need to start right at the bottom first.

(Original post by Shady's back)
    Wrt the contacts thing, you guys get yourself down to London for networking events and you suck ****, hairy fat white middle class D I C K.

I've seen people do it in front of my own eyes. It's events like that which can make your life dreams come true.
    lol dont be such a beta in life. i went to networking events and not once did i suck up. didnt have anything handed to me on a plate either. just raw skill and hard work.

but yeh you need some connections, but that is something u can control too. all it takes is knowing the right guy, and he puts in a good word to someone else, and then it spreads. then you have a couple of companies whove heard your name and will recognise it when they read your job application.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking you guys are going for grad accounting/finance related jobs with irrelevant degrees (which employers like btw)? If so what a load of ****. There's people like me doing an accounting degree at Russell group, working my ass off doing professional exams and then some Johnny come lately ****ing history graduate takes my job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parano!d)
    are you ****ting me fam. this was what i was saying before, the expectations of grads are way too high nowadays. everyone wants to mint it but the reality is you need to start right at the bottom first.
    It involves a commission job, and I'm in the interview stages(in fact got one on monday) which has prospects of 100k in 3 or 4 years when you include the commission. It's not as ridiculous as you think. Involves **** loads of hard work and stressful days.

So I'm not just expecting too high. If I'm able to survive in the job I should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosingDogs)
    Am I right in thinking you guys are going for grad accounting/finance related jobs with irrelevant degrees (which employers like btw)? If so what a load of ****. There's people like me doing an accounting degree at Russell group, working my ass off doing professional exams and then some Johnny come lately ****ing history graduate takes my job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Feel for you mate. I would have done a school leavers scheme if I was 100% sure I wanted to do accountancy though. Earning good money at 18 and no uni fees. Of course, those schemes are competitive too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Feel for you mate. I would have done a school leavers scheme if I was 100% sure I wanted to do accountancy though. Earning good money at 18 and no uni fees. Of course, those schemes are competitive too.
    Yep applied for KPMG leavers scheme but got rejected. Having said that, although there's a lot of perks it really restricts your development- I.e you're boxed into a certain field. Now I want to go into corporate tax so I'm happy I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep applied for KPMG leavers scheme but got rejected. Having said that, although there's a lot of perks it really restricts your development- I.e you're boxed into a certain field. Now I want to go into corporate tax so I'm happy I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's true. Which is why I guess University is quite valuable due to the 'transferable skills' point.

I do think that university is not for everybody though.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Heeeeey guys

ReputationRep:
    That's true. Which is why I guess University is quite valuable due to the 'transferable skills' point.

I do think that university is not for everybody though.
    I agree it isn't but it's been made that you have to by a lot of companies. When applying for a lot of grad jobs, requirements include at least 320 UCAS points and a 2:1 from a top 50 university. Luckily I have both (or hopefully should!) but it's just pathetic ruling really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree it isn't but it's been made that you have to by a lot of companies. When applying for a lot of grad jobs, requirements include at least 320 UCAS points and a 2:1 from a top 50 university. Luckily I have both (or hopefully should!) but it's just pathetic ruling really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup. I don't have a 2:1 but I have good enough UCAS points for grad schemes.

In this day and age you gotta make your way. I just hope I get this job I'm getting an interview for. **** slaving for a 20k job with no progression. Wouldn't mind if I can work my way up after a few years(30-40k more so, only said 100k before because of the industry I'm going into allowing that to happen but if I don't get into it I'm more than happy getting a 30k job after a few years) but if there's no progression then what's the point.

ReputationRep:
    Not denying that he may have but I'm sure there are plenty who work just as hard and don't get the same opportunity. If that was him then I'd understand, but it's not, so I don't get where he gets this perspective from.

Anyways I got a few years before I'm at this stage so what would I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So much accounting and finance In here, where dem engineers at

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Accounting is really boring. ZZZZZ.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna be rich, finance is the field for that. Those who dream about close to £100k outside those fields sorry (bar medics and law). Just the reality.

For engineering you most likely won't hit above £40k in this country. Maybe up to £60 IF you're top dog but you ain't getting more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna be rich, finance is the field for that. Those who dream about close to £100k outside those fields sorry (bar medics and law). Just the reality.

For engineering you most likely won't hit above £40k in this country. Maybe up to £60 IF you're top dog but you ain't getting more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You will very rarely get rich working for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    You will very rarely get rich working for someone else.
    Was just literally about to say this mate. You are very aware of the world I must say, I have met a kindred cynic (or realist to me!) in you!

Always been my plan- make my own business but of course you have to learn the ropes first. Also I have to work for probably 10 years so I can qualify (doing ACA) and get some experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.