The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Angelil
Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a Liberal Democrat on our hands. Atomik: are you of the school of thought that everyone is free to do everything and be responsible for none of it? Because that's how you're coming across. If that's not what you mean, please explain yourself better.

LOLOLOLOL, actually, I'm quite a conservative person, and the party I agree with most is the BNP. But when it comes to family issues, I'm quite a liberal person.

I don't think I'm being liberal in regards to this subject, however. Your sister is 17 - she can legally do whatever she wants sexually. Besides, it seems like she has her head screwed on in the right place, so I don't see why you should be all up-in-arms about her closing the door. Seems like such a trivial matter.
Reply 61
Atomik: I disagree - I think that most people change hugely between going to uni at 18 and leaving at 21, for example. It's a hell of a learning curve.
As for what my parents do when my boyfriend's round - they won't let us sleep in the same bed, but they do let me in my room with him with the door shut, on the grounds that I've been away at university for almost 2 years and have therefore had the capacity to do as I wish in a room of my own that I am renting. My sister's relationship with her boyfriend is largely organised between his parents and her parents - neither of them drive, and they live in different towns, so all transport is done through their parents, since trains from one town to the other are quite impractical. Therefore it seems slightly more reasonable to expect them to abide by my parents' rules. I can't comment on what I would have done if I'd been in her situation, because I don't know - it never happened.
Reply 62
a_musical_gal
Your brother/sister/uncle/dog/aunt/best friend/alien is upstairs with a member of the opposite sex. You are alone in a house and you know that the owners of the house are concerned about your brother/sister etc having sex.
You don't mind the fact that your brother/sister... might want sex but you don't want to:

a) ruin the trust the owners of the house have for you or
b) be in the same house alone with them

Now do you understand?

Can we please move on because judging Angelil, her parents because it is not helping Angelil in the slightest - your judging her when she has a problem.

...Pretty PLEASE!

Edit - took so long writing and checking because of my dyslexia that I hadn't noticed we had moved on - Sorry please ignore!

You put the effort in, so I won't ignore your post.

Don't worry, I can see where she's coming from - rules are rules. However, getting your undies in a twist over the fact that her sister (who is fully legal to have sex) has her door closed. Meh, I dunno, sounds pretty trivial to me, seeing as she could just ignore it.
Reply 63
Angelil
Atomik: I disagree - I think that most people change hugely between going to uni at 18 and leaving at 21, for example. It's a hell of a learning curve.
As for what my parents do when my boyfriend's round - they won't let us sleep in the same bed, but they do let me in my room with him with the door shut, on the grounds that I've been away at university for almost 2 years and have therefore had the capacity to do as I wish in a room of my own that I am renting. My sister's relationship with her boyfriend is largely organised between his parents and her parents - neither of them drive, and they live in different towns, so all transport is done through their parents, since trains from one town to the other are quite impractical. Therefore it seems slightly more reasonable to expect them to abide by my parents' rules. I can't comment on what I would have done if I'd been in her situation, because I don't know - it never happened.

Fair enough.

I mean, I can sympathise with you, but suuuurely you can sympathise with her? After all, that's what big sisters are for - to confide in and pretty much trust. You're her rolemodel. If you get all anal with her about whether a door is open or not, she will just get pissed off with you. I can see why it would make you uncomfortable, but at the end of the day it's her choice, it's her freedom. Just make sure they have protection if they do want to have fun. :P
Reply 64
If it seems trivial to you, fine. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :smile:
As it is, the door has remained open since I left it open on my way out of the room earlier in the evening. I reckon my sis has probably got the message so I probably won't bother addressing it.
Reply 65
Fair enough. Case closed. :smile: (Sorry if I was bein' abrasive at all.)

P.S. Tehehehehe @ "Liberal Democrat supporter". It's funny, it's usually me moaning about liberals! Heheh.
(Sorry if I was bein' abrasive at all.)

Yeah, same from me.....some of what i said was unjustified as my newly aquired warning points and a telling off by a moderator have made abundantly clear. I apologise for any offense caused.
Reply 67
lol, that's ok. Can't remember what you said anyway and I'm not going to trawl through the whole thread again to find out (cos I'm a lazy bugger :p: ).
Some people in this post actually have no idea....
It's not about her sister being 17 and legal and being free to do what she wants .bla.bla.bla. It's a matter of respect. Angelil, I can understand why you are slightly annoyed.
Angelil
Sorry, but respecting my parents' wishes wins over respecting my sister's right to do what she wants every time.

*swoops in* (this is fun...)

I would suggest 'common sense'. Honey, don't be absolutist. Your parents seem very uptight, fussing over closed doors etc. You may not agree, but that seems a tad silly, esp given your sister's obvious sense and principles. If your parents beliefs are sensible, uphold them. If they are OTT and uptight, turn a blind eye. You didn't notice, ok?

Believe me, I am all for parental respect, ask mine *hugs Mum and Dad*. But there are times when you need to let people out on a loose rein, even if it goes against what your parents would want. Ear muffs and blinkers are helpful.

And really, its not as if she is snorting coke or shagging around is it. Closed doors and crafty kisses never hurt anyone.... (well, I say that...)
Reply 70
Angelil
lol, that's ok. Can't remember what you said anyway and I'm not going to trawl through the whole thread again to find out (cos I'm a lazy bugger :p: ).

Was this post directed at me or the poster above? :colondollar:

Sorry, I just hope you read my post; I don't want anybody mistaking me for a liberal. :colondollar:
Reply 71
Angelil. I'd do the same thing as you. Parents house, parents rules.
Reply 72
show some sibling loyalty.

Your parents are unreasonable in not letting her have the door shut if she has a guy over..

How would you feel?
Reply 73
Atomik
Was this post directed at me or the poster above? :colondollar:

Sorry, I just hope you read my post; I don't want anybody mistaking me for a liberal. :colondollar:

Both of you :smile:
Anyways...her boyfriend's gone home now and my sis apologised to me for having the door shut, and said she just forgot. I believe her and won't be making an issue of it with our parents.
So, dogtanian (or any other mod), I guess the thread can probably be locked now.
Angelil
Both of you :smile:
Anyways...her boyfriend's gone home now and my sis apologised to me for having the door shut, and said she just forgot. I believe her and won't be making an issue of it with our parents.
So, dogtanian (or any other mod), I guess the thread can probably be locked now.

Lock it? Wah?
this is officially the stupidest and most unimportant thread ever concieved in the history of the internet.
she only closed the door!!!!
antics
this is officially the stupidest and most unimportant thread ever concieved in the history of the internet.
she only closed the door!!!!

Nah there has been stupider threads.
Reply 77
Because the issue is over?
Reply 78
Angelil
Sorry, but respecting my parents' wishes wins over respecting my sister's right to do what she wants every time.

totally agree. shes your responsibility. your sister is taking advantage of you.
Reply 79
To be honest, your sister sounds like the only normal one in your family.

I mean having your mother telling you to leave the door to your bedroom open so she can peer in when you have guests is ****ed up at any age, never mind 17.

Latest

Trending

Trending