The Student Room Group

My Mum Doesn't Like My Bf

She never likes me being in a relationship anyway, she didn't let me do certain stuff like go to parties until I was 17. She is a bit controlling in my opinion, and she yelled at me when my boyfriend and I got together, saying I didn't know him properly and that I should try being friends with him first. I was friends with him first, then we got together. I think we waited for a reasonable amount of time but she didn't. At the time, we were 17 and 18 (almost 18 and 19 respectively). He's kind, caring, funny, smart, friendly, and a super interesting person to be around. He is incredibly loving and supportive towards me, and has never been anything but. We both want the same things out of life and our careers, and I've never met someone I'm so compatible with. It just feels right to be with him. We've been together for 18 months now and we're 19 and 20, and both on gap years (he did an extra year of college because of COVID). My Mum still hasn't let him come over to meet my Dad, and he hasn't met my brother, sister-in-law or nieces yet, which I find absolutely bizarre. She asks me not to mention him to my Dad, who knows I have a boyfriend, because she thinks he'll interrogate him if he comes round for dinner and she isn't ready for that. If I invited him without her permission, she would yell at me. He is understandably upset that my Mum doesn't like him, but she never likes me being in a relationship. We're both asexual and he's Christian (my family isn't), so it isn't about me getting pregnant or anything like that. We'll be going to the same uni together in October and we're really serious about each other. I understand and respect that we're young but I feel as though she's being too controlling. I don't know what I can to do make her accept him, I just want to live my life without her constant input but seeing as I still live with her and will until October, and she'll be supporting me a little financially at uni, I feel trapped and helpless.

Has anyone got any advice for what I could do to make her like him more? He's never been rude to or about her, he's always polite so it isn't that either, I'm sure.

TIA
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
She never likes me being in a relationship anyway, she didn't let me do certain stuff like go to parties until I was 17. She is a bit controlling in my opinion, and she yelled at me when my boyfriend and I got together, saying I didn't know him properly and that I should try being friends with him first. I was friends with him first, then we got together. I think we waited for a reasonable amount of time but she didn't. At the time, we were 17 and 18 (almost 18 and 19 respectively). He's kind, caring, funny, smart, friendly, and a super interesting person to be around. He is incredibly loving and supportive towards me, and has never been anything but. We both want the same things out of life and our careers, and I've never met someone I'm so compatible with. It just feels right to be with him. We've been together for 18 months now and we're 19 and 20, and both on gap years (he did an extra year of college because of COVID). My Mum still hasn't let him come over to meet my Dad, and he hasn't met my brother, sister-in-law or nieces yet, which I find absolutely bizarre. She asks me not to mention him to my Dad, who knows I have a boyfriend, because she thinks he'll interrogate him if he comes round for dinner and she isn't ready for that. If I invited him without her permission, she would yell at me. He is understandably upset that my Mum doesn't like him, but she never likes me being in a relationship. We're both asexual and he's Christian (my family isn't), so it isn't about me getting pregnant or anything like that. We'll be going to the same uni together in October and we're really serious about each other. I understand and respect that we're young but I feel as though she's being too controlling. I don't know what I can to do make her accept him, I just want to live my life without her constant input but seeing as I still live with her and will until October, and she'll be supporting me a little financially at uni, I feel trapped and helpless.

Has anyone got any advice for what I could do to make her like him more? He's never been rude to or about her, he's always polite so it isn't that either, I'm sure.

TIA

It's jarring because I love him so much and I wish she could just be happy for me.
Reply 2
There nothing stopping you introducing your boyfriend to the rest of your family. Maybe do that and get them to help you talk to your mum about him.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
There nothing stopping you introducing your boyfriend to the rest of your family. Maybe do that and get them to help you talk to your mum about him.

But if she found out I invited him over, she'd yell at me.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
But if she found out I invited him over, she'd yell at me.

Reread my post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending