The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thefish_uk
Yeah, because she's famous, that means she gets no criticism from anybody else...

To be honest I don't really care whether or not she gets in. I can see the academics who interview her being so far out of the real world that they don't know who she is. :rolleyes: It'd be a bugger though, if she was let in just because she's well known.

Also if she did come to Cambridge, she would possibly stop by the Amateur Dramatic Club (probably thinking that as a film star she is God's gift to it) and if so I'd probably have a decent amount to do with her.

Of course some criticism is OK if there is a valid reason for it- but it seems that a few people are being unnecessarily bitchy just because she's famous. I just don't think if I was in her position I'd want to continuously read negative things about myself from people who don't know me.
Reply 61
What is wrong with the lads on here (and the girls of Newnam) ?. Emma is damn cute. If i was a lecherous 60 year old man, past my prime, attempting to fill up the days with academic studies, she'd fill all the damn selection criteria instantly.
:rolleyes:
Reply 63
devilschild
I'd be careful about slagging her off too much on here as her cousin's at Tit Hall and I'm not sure if he reads these pages

Really? James?
Reply 64
What is wrong with the lads on here (and the girls of Newnam) ?

If you read the thread I don't think you'll find any "girls of Newnam" [sic.] saying anything against Watson's application whatsoever. And, thankfully, there are no
lecherous 60 year old
men at Newnham...
Reply 65
Good luck to her I say.
Reply 66
ChemistBoy
True, Harvard, like all other big US colleges, proudly advertise the fact that if you are a money bags you will get in. Knowing academics though, I should think they would find it mildly amusing but nothing more. It's hardly as if she is the first person of any note to attend the institution.

On the other hand for scholarship for undergraduate and graduate studies harard is far more generous in terms of paying fees, providing stipends etc. WHilst I don't agree with many aspects of the harvard system I think one does have to remember that they do offer some very good financial assistance to poorer people
Reply 67
Even if she is doing Dance A Level does that necessarily ruin her chances? :s-smilie:. I mean she might have trouble getting into one of the more prestigious colleges but she might get into a newer one with it. The website does say that they only require two traditional A Levels, and the third can be less traditional if needs be.
Reply 68
ukebert
Good luck to her I say.

:dito: If she wants to apply, why shouldn't she? She should go for it and we'll see what happens. It's not up to us to speculate.
Reply 69
I remember some girl I think her name was Laura Spence who came from a state funded school, got 10A*'s at GCSE (in saying that probably some in subjects like citizenship and dual ICT) expecting four A's at A2 in English, Geography, Chemistry and Biology but was denied a Medicine place at Oxford :smile: . Gordon Brown made a big kerfuffle out of it, and Harvard offered her a scholarship to study for a B.S. in Biochemistry. Accepting it, according to the under-fire Oxford admission guys, demonstrated her "lack of commitment to Medicine". I hear she's thinking of applying for the Graduate Medicine course at... wait for it... Cambridge! :p: :p:

EDIT: They even called it the Laura Spence Affair :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Spence_Affair
Reply 70
I think she's at Wolfson now.
Reply 71
Don John
I remember some girl I think her name was Laura Spence who came from a state funded school, got 10A*'s at GCSE (in saying that probably some in subjects like citizenship and dual ICT) expecting four A's at A2 in English, Geography, Chemistry and Biology but was denied a Medicine place at Oxford :smile: . Gordon Brown made a big kerfuffle out of it, and Harvard offered her a scholarship to study for a B.S. in Biochemistry. Accepting it, according to the under-fire Oxford admission guys, demonstrated her "lack of commitment to Medicine". I hear she's thinking of applying for the Graduate Medicine course at... wait for it... Cambridge! :p: :p:

EDIT: They even called it the Laura Spence Affair :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Spence_Affair

Yes but she herself admitted not being good enough at the interview. I do not think you ought to blame Oxford for only selecting la crême de la crême:

In 2001, Laura Spence made public her opinion that Oxford had been right to reject her admission on the basis of her interview, saying that she had been "a bit upset when I came out of the interview because I knew I hadn't done as well as I thought I could have",[6] and that she was not "a perfect example of what [Gordon Brown] was trying to point out because I don't feel that being from the North or a comprehensive mattered in my case.[6]
Siddhartha
Yes but she herself admitted not being good enough at the interview. I do not think you ought to blame Oxford for only selecting la crême de la crême:

And even if she was all that good.. there are still too many worthy candidates to places available. Its just life.
Reply 73
I know this is incredibly sad but I looked on the website of Headington girls school (where she is supposed to go) and on their website dance isn't listed as an A-level that you can take so maybe it's just a rumour that that's what she studies and she actually does some dance in her spare time and the inteviewer misinterpreted this.
ChemistBoy
True, Harvard, like all other big US colleges, proudly advertise the fact that if you are a money bags you will get in. Knowing academics though, I should think they would find it mildly amusing but nothing more. It's hardly as if she is the first person of any note to attend the institution.

This is the biggest load of crap I've read on TSR in a while.
ukebert
I think she's at Wolfson now.

I'm impressed by your facebook stalking powers. lol
Reply 76
Best of luck to her.
I think it's a slight lose-lose situation for her though. If she doesn't get an offer her rejection will be very public, if she does get in, it will be because she is famous..
And Cambridge will probably come out badly either way too.. Good old media.
Profesh
A commendable aspiration, considering that she is already said to have amassed in the region of seven-million pounds based on her allegiance to the Potter franchise; and, certainly, she appears not to lack the academic wherewithal (though I'd question her choice of A-Levels).

7m? is that all..someone got screwed considering the films made something like multiples in the billions in $'s - although i sposed they were forced to accept it when they were young and prob forced to sign up for all 7 films.

I was thinking last ngiht (whilst watching the new HP film) that they are all minted for life anyway - IIRC Radcliffe goes to oen of the most expensive schools in England and so was probably minted before anyway.

I think peopel are kidding themselves if they think the fact that Watson is famous won't help her, as long as she getst he grades they would be more likely to take her as it makes them look good for havign famous alumni.
Clubber Lang
I think peopel are kidding themselves if they think the fact that Watson is famous won't help her, as long as she getst he grades they would be more likely to take her as it makes them look good for havign famous alumni.

It doesn't though. That indirectly makes them look as if they accept people on appearances or wealth, rather than ability. How can that make them look good? Its not like they need to convince anybody that they're world-standard...
mwiko
..if she does get in, it will be because she is famous..

That's an unfair assumption. People are bound to make it, but its unfounded unless backed up.
mwiko

..And Cambridge will probably come out badly either way too.. Good old media.

Very true; its rubbishness all round :s-smilie:
Craghyrax
It doesn't though.

but it does, a lot of people will look and say 'yea, watson went there, its even better than i thought' (ok slightly exxagerated) - it certainly wont hurt them.

you have to remember not all the people who look at cambridge will be as cyncical as some of the peopel on here..

in a few eyars when she has graduated and left most people prob wont even remember she was famous when she joined they will just remember famous emma watson went to said Uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending