The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
I don't care about immigration because if you work hard enough, a job is yours. It's an easy way out for lazy thick people who don't have a skill set.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also to add to this, I don't disagree on immigration control. But it's just a way out for people to blame on others the bitter failings in their own lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
x

completely unrelated but

LSE?

you started looking for a job yet brah?

and also how you gunna explain the gap on your CV?
Original post by Zürich
Thing is, the people who have been banging the drum about how great mass immigration is tend to be millionaires who live in Primrose Hill. They dont have to worry about job competition or wage deflation from low skilled immigrants, they dont have to worry about the effects on their children's' schools because they go to private schools. In fact the only contact they have with immigrants are the nannies and gardeners they employ, at very reasonable rates and the 2% of immigrants who come as doctors, bankers etc and they get along famously with. They then spend their time eating in lovely exotic restaurants and feel a surge of smug pride at how 'tolerant' they are. These are the people who basically run the country and the major newspapers. They're not bad people, but they cant see how self interested and distant they are.

Meanwhile the builder who's found that his wages have been cut to shreds, that his kids' education is suffering, and that his local area has been culturally transformed overnight into something he's not familiar with is branded a Nazi for asking perfectly reasonable questions on why this is going on.

This whole UKIP thing has arisen simply because group A basically spent decades telling group B that they were wrong and basically to shut the **** up. That's the dichotomy at the heart of all of this really. Absolutely nothing wrong with immigration, but not like it has been over the last 20 years.

I don't need to add anything, because I agree entirely. When you are not pretending to be Del Boy down the Nag's 'ed you are a smart cookie Zurich. A man I could work with in government.

I don't care about immigration because if you work hard enough, a job is yours. It's an easy way out for lazy thick people who don't have a skill set.

I would say half right. I agree that there can be a tendency to blame things on Immigrants for example, but it is also a reality when we think about the type of employment one gains.

For example one thing I find really really annoying applying for graduate schemes atm, is that members of the EEA (European Economic Area) as well as commonwealth citizens are eligible for UK graduate schemes. All that means is that it is harder for UK graduates. Yes, I'd absolutely rather a lesser qualified British person in a British job than somebody slightly more qualified from overseas. All it means is that for the HMRC grad scheme that has just closed for example, 13,000 people applied for 250 jobs, really really annoying.

Of course, you might argue "yeah but you could apply for a grad scheme in an EEA country like Bulgaria or in a Commonwealth country like Uganda". Yeah but why would I want to? That's the problem with immigration and other agreements with countries of a different standard, we lose out. And forgive me, but I'm selfish, I care primarily about Britain. I'm not really interested in getting other countries up to our standard, I care more about us getting further ahead. If we are to have agreements, such as open door immigration or the right to work, it should only be with countries on our level in terms of economic development, so I'd perhaps go for an EU with Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Switzerland, Denmark and Ireland. Then you could have a Commonwealth agreement only with Australia and New Zealand, possibly Canada as well. But in current agreements, we put a lot more in than we take out.
Original post by swirly
completely unrelated but

LSE?

you started looking for a job yet brah?

and also how you gunna explain the gap on your CV?

what's there to say? took a bit of time out after graduating uni 2 years early. Ive got a great CV tbph and I think it's clear that I just havent been looking in the last year. Not like Ive been working at Tescos in the meantime.

Ive had a look at a few things and am in the process of sorting things out formally. Takes me a little bit of time to get going with these kinds of things. Should sit down one of these weeks and just start cracking things out
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eboracum

x

Was gonna edit but then you quoted.

I agree. Immigration does need to be curbed and you've raised legitimate points why. But you're a smart guy, down a tough subject at a top uni. Work won't be an issue for you because you will bring skills to a company, to the UK, and to the economy. You'll contribute. I agree that it's unfair with people from outside of the UK to get jobs here ahead of people like you. My post was more directed at the lazy 37 year old man with 8 kids from 6 women happy to claim JSA and then blame it on the immigrants who stole his job, because fact of the matter is immigrants or not, he's not going to add anything to our country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't need to add anything, because I agree entirely. When you are not pretending to be Del Boy down the Nag's 'ed you are a smart cookie Zurich. A man I could work with in government.

You can be both. Dont see why having a brain necessarily means you have to pretend to be into opera and white wine spritzers! :wink:
Original post by Zürich
what's there to say? took a bit of time out after graduating uni 2 years early. Ive got a great CV tbph and I think it's clear that I just havent been looking in the last year. Not like Ive been working at Tescos in the meantime.

Ive had a look at a few things and am in the process of sorting things out formally. Takes me a little bit of time to get going with these kinds of things. Should sit down one of these weeks and just start cracking things out

you going into IB?

The LSE tag must really be able to open doors for you, no?
Original post by Zürich
You can be both. Dont see why having a brain necessarily means you have to pretend to be into opera and white wine spritzers! :wink:

Of course. I mean people like Mickey Pearce and Trigger could never be both, but I'm sold on the fact that you can and indeed are.

Btw, have you been to an opera? Many of the people there aren't smart at all. A lot of them it is just about yuppie culture. They are there for the image. They'll sit in the front row with their Hugo Boss suits and fancy frocks and handbags pretending to know their Richard Wagner from their Giuseppe Verdi's, but it's all just bollucks.
pretending to know their Richard Wagner from their Giuseppe Verdi's, but it's all just bollucks.

can you teach me about opera:colondollar:
I agree that it's unfair with people from outside of the UK to get jobs here ahead of people like you. My post was more directed at the lazy 37 year old man with 8 kids from 6 women happy to claim JSA and then blame it on the immigrants who stole his job, because fact of the matter is immigrants or not, he's not going to add anything to our country.

Thanks man. Yes. I think the problem with welfare in the UK is that it becomes a lifestyle choice, and for many young people, they've just never known any different. They see their young parents on welfare and it just seems to be a way of life. It's like a drip, they are so reliant on it. And I think as painful as it is for some, that is the link we have to break.

Of course, Mr Blair and his friends didn't help. The minimum wage was a great policy but, government welfare became too generous and it didn't pay to work. The lady in the audience on Question Time the other week said that her Job Centre had done the maths for her and it was actually more beneficial for her to avoid work and to keep on claiming. And that's the reality. So I'd look to increase the minimum wage and reduce benefits, which the current UK Government are doing.
Original post by swirly
you going into IB?

The LSE tag must really be able to open doors for you, no?

Nah that's all done with, you need to be on a graduate scheme for all that tbh. Looking at smaller places and maybe some economist stuff which is more stable in the long run. IB is obviously a ridiculous opportunity but there's another side to it all as well. Know people who got 2 year contracts and then got ****canned afterwards, their immediate career prospects arent exactly brilliant now because no matter how good you are, few places want a reject who obviously is looking for the next best option. And there are quite alot of ***** you have to work with, I wouldnt say its a nice environment.

Ive never had a problem getting interviews, put it like that. Although my success rate in interviews is probably on the lowish side, think my interview technique is a bit off at times in how I approach things. Chummy when I should be serious and serious when I should be chummy kind of thing. Also had some revolting luck.

There was a role at BlackRock 18 months ago that I would have walked to China for, was down to the last 2 or 3 and made a hash of it. That's probably the only job interview Ive had where I knew I wouldnt get that chance again. the fella who got it was American, real polished WASP type and they went with him, often goes like that.

Had one interview once as well when there was a bit of chit chat with the candidates after. Someone brought up football and I was straight in with the ''yeah was down the Arsenal on Saturday actually...''. Lead interviewer turned out to be a Spurs fan...Wasnt too fussed about that really
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks man. Yes. I think the problem with welfare in the UK is that it becomes a lifestyle choice, and for many young people, they've just never known any different. They see their young parents on welfare and it just seems to be a way of life. It's like a drip, they are so reliant on it. And I think as painful as it is for some, that is the link we have to break.

Of course, Mr Blair and his friends didn't help. The minimum wage was a great policy but, government welfare became too generous and it didn't pay to work. The lady in the audience on Question Time the other week said that her Job Centre had done the maths for her and it was actually more beneficial for her to avoid work and to keep on claiming. And that's the reality. So I'd look to increase the minimum wage and reduce benefits, which the current UK Government are doing.

Yeah Blair was a parasite to the country. The divide is rising between rich and poor again. I blame bankers!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swirly
can you teach me about opera:colondollar:

I'm not the right guy for this. Look, if I met a posh girl in the choir of King's College, Cambridge, I could probably sustain about 2-5 minutes talking about it pretending I knew my ****, but after that I'd be out of ideas and moving the conversation swiftly along. Perhaps Zurich is more of an expert than I? :colondollar:
I'm not the right guy for this. Look, if I met a posh girl in the choir of King's College, Cambridge, I could probably sustain about 2-5 minutes talking about it pretending I knew my ****, but after that I'd be out of ideas and moving the conversation swiftly along. Perhaps Zurich is more of an expert than I? :colondollar:

:lol:

PRSOM
Of course. I mean people like Mickey Pearce and Trigger could never be both, but I'm sold on the fact that you can and indeed are.

Btw, have you been to an opera? Many of the people there aren't smart at all. A lot of them it is just about yuppie culture. They are there for the image. They'll sit in the front row with their Hugo Boss suits and fancy frocks and handbags pretending to know their Richard Wagner from their Giuseppe Verdi's, but it's all just bollucks.

No Ive never been to the Opera, or even the theatre for that matter. Really doesn't appeal to me at all and not sure it ever would. Obviously loads of people are genuinely into it and good luck to them, just never felt the need to try and get some status from that kind of quasi-intellectual stuff.

People do it in a patronising way as well. It's all about the ceremony and the exclusion for some people. Like when you go to a nice restaurant and the staff are basically told to be extremely submissive and sycophantic, I dont understand why some people feel the need to be in that environment.

I dont like posh people very much though tbh, only ever met a few that were alight. Most are *****.
Original post by Zürich
Know people who got 2 year contracts and then got ****canned afterwards, their immediate career prospects arent exactly brilliant now because no matter how good you are, few places want a reject who obviously is looking for the next best option.

I know people that have done 2-4 years in IB and then walked into big 4 and consultancy. Depends what you want in life but I don't think that's a bad strategy.
Original post by Zürich
x

what. did not know that. I thought once you got on a IB grad scheme, bar a phenomenal **** up, you were pretty much set. put in 10 years of hard work and 7 figures easy. put in 10 years of just turning up and still 6 figures.
Original post by JamesR12
I know people that have done 2-4 years in IB and then walked into big 4 and consultancy. Depends what you want in life but I don't think that's a bad strategy.

No dont get me wrong that's true but what I mean is that alot of people think if you walk in the door of an IB that it's inevitable that down the line you'll be an MD making £5m a year. Most will end up making a good living somewhere else. Big4 is definitely a more stable and long term career though.

It's like being in the youth team at a PL football club. For every Fabregas or Wilshere, there are 20 others who end up at Bristol City.
Original post by swirly
what. did not know that. I thought once you got on a IB grad scheme, bar a phenomenal **** up, you were pretty much set. put in 10 years of hard work and 7 figures easy. put in 10 years of just turning up and still 6 figures.

Definitely not true, not even close. Regular occurrence is for thousands of job cuts when certain areas go into decline. And they're always obsessed with salary expenses, they'll cull it down if it starts eating up too much of revenue. It's really ruthless like that.

And in certain areas of IB, what you do as a grad is definitely not rocket science. Certain jobs paying £70k/year involve nothing more complicated than basic excel manipulation, double checking figures and preparing presentations. Hours are long and the stress is unreal but why would they keep you on at 25/26 when they can get an eager 21 year old to do the same for less? There's a huge churn.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
No dont get me wrong that's true but what I mean is that alot of people think if you walk in the door of an IB that it's inevitable that down the line you'll be an MD making £5m a year. Most will end up making a good living somewhere else. Big4 is definitely a more stable and long term career though.

It's like being in the youth team at a PL football club. For every Fabregas or Wilshere, there are 20 others who end up at Bristol City.

Yeah. Doing your shift as a youth player at the big club, realising you're not good enough, getting moved on. Nothing wrong with being the Frazier Campbell of the job market.

Big 4 is a good life.

Latest