The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Events in which getting drunk is explicitly encouraged and condoned are banned anyway by every SU in the country and have been for a decade.

SU events are not the only ones that go on (and in fact I have never been to one, there is widespread apathy towards student politics at my uni and plenty enough events in college). A more clear example is this: I would go to a music night with friends knowing that they would be drinking. I would not go pre-drinking with them for any event and I would not go to any students' drinking party.

(Unless it is a tea party. Attend one of those every week and love it)
The last several posts seem to be driving a wedge between drinkers and non-drinkers. I think we should let both parties be. This thread is simply the non-drinkers's "corner" where non-drinkers can find comfort knowing they are not alone.

How about stories of how non-drinkers spent their freshers' week? What did you do? Was it difficult to cope with most events involving drinks? Sharing your stories will benefit non-drinkers who are nervous or worried about the upcoming freshers and the next few ones in the years to come.
Original post by showtime42
The last several posts seem to be driving a wedge between drinkers and non-drinkers. I think we should let both parties be. This thread is simply the non-drinkers's "corner" where non-drinkers can find comfort knowing they are not alone.

How about stories of how non-drinkers spent their freshers' week? What did you do? Was it difficult to cope with most events involving drinks? Sharing your stories will benefit non-drinkers who are nervous or worried about the upcoming freshers and the next few ones in the years to come.

This was not my intention - I was actually warning not to try to drive a wedge between them too much.

My freshers was potentially not a standard one; I had lectures during freshers week as well as a formal dinner one night. For the others I went to a games night, movie night and hung around with a group of people the other two nights. On three of those were there people drinking, the formal meal and the other two nights, and they were meals out at places like a pub. I had no difficulty at all, and have not yet, as I simply don't go to events (clubbing, drinking heavy parties) where drinking is going to be a focus. There is plenty of other stuff to get on with all the time except for exam term where events tend to become more sparse.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending