The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Selgomez11
I think you should still be hopeful especially if you know medicine is the right choice for you. Regarding the AS levels majority of universities are not even looking at it. So I'm assuming your predicted grade will be A*A*A-A*AA which is pretty high! Also with your GCSEs as long as you got them in the maths and sciences then there's no problem there. Perhaps avoid University of Birmingham, University of Nottingham and University of Leicester. You should check out Bristol?
Regarding you dropping maths, there's no problem in that! Having a language is actually quite advantageous as its so difficult to do. No universities has said no to someone because of then not doing A Level Maths.
Also, try really hard in UKCAT as that could be your card in apply to UKCAT universities.
There's always Extended Medical Degree Programme which is 6 years in King's College London. Aren't you doing the BMAT for UCL?

Hey thanks for replying and all your advice, I'm just annoyed after speaking to that woman hah I literally came home crying. She basically told me my grades were ****, then said that I had to hand in my personal statement by friday because she said she doesn't get paid for doing this and that she's busy - can you believe that! But thanks and yeah I have booked the BMAT (well my school has). Yeah I think I'll look at Bristol because apparently they look at PS and I think mine is pretty good. Also my UKCAT is next thursday so yep I will try my best.
Reply 941
Hey everyone, I require some help.
GCSE: 4A* 7A (A* in maths bio chem physics)
AS: AAAB in maths,bio,chem,physics
Predictions: A*A*A
UKCAT: 1870 (620 average)
BMAT: will do

work exp: working with autistic children
elderly
mentoring students
primary school club
charity bookshop
NCS
first aid skills

The unis im thinking of are(in this order)
-Imperial/UCL - most likely imperial as they dont look at gcses
-bristol
-liverpool
-brighton & sussex
-possibly keele

could anyone help me out and tell me if I'm going for the right unis or not and if not suggest any others please. thanks
Doesn't anyone know how competitive Liverpool is? Like applicants per place and stuff
Just wondering what is the highest UKCAT grade that you can get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KaiKabz007
Doesn't anyone know how competitive Liverpool is? Like applicants per place and stuff

I know last year it was super low like 1200 applicants (due to them introducing the UKCAT) if I remember rightly from the open day but that was a while back now, I think they said they are expecting it to go up a bit this year but not majorly. They used to have like 3000+ applicants I believe before the UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right, do you think the same case will be for Bristol then as they recently introduced UKCAT?
Also what is the interview type for Liverpool, panel?
Oh right, do you think the same case will be for Bristol then as they recently introduced UKCAT?
Also what is the interview type for Liverpool, panel?

Not sure sorry as I'm not looking into Bristol. And Liverpool is MMI :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone could tell me Bristol's statistics last year (applicants per place or whatevs) that would be great
guys this is bare random but you know when you send your personal statement to someone via TSR, will it pop up on the plagiarism checker thing?
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Just wondering what is the highest UKCAT grade that you can get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This year the highest score is 2700 Band 1, the lowest would be 900 Band 4.
Does anyone know what Liverpool's UKCAT cut off for medicine was last year ? I got a 670 average so is it safe to apply there ?Thank you.
Does anyone know what Liverpool's UKCAT cut off for medicine was last year ? I got a 670 average so is it safe to apply there ?

Thank you.
Original post by nihil_nimis
Does anyone know what Liverpool's UKCAT cut off for medicine was last year ? I got a 670 average so is it safe to apply there ?

Thank you.

Dont think theres a cut off. I saw people on last years thread being interviewed with 650. I have 660 and im applying. As long as the rest of our application is strong we should be fine
If anyone could tell me Bristol's statistics last year (applicants per place or whatevs) that would be great

Hi, I went to the open day last week and I believe they said 216/4674 were accepted onto the course, with 900 interviewed, and I think they made around 400 offers, not entirely sure!
Original post by chrisdale98
Dont think theres a cut off. I saw people on last years thread being interviewed with 650. I have 660 and im applying. As long as the rest of our application is strong we should be fine

Alright thank you, They used a cut off last year but I can't remember what it was
Alright thank you, They used a cut off last year but I can't remember what it was

I got 660 last year and got an offer. I know someone who got 630 and didn't get an interview. So I'm guessing it's around 640ish?
Original post by UnknownAnon
I got 660 last year and got an offer. I know someone who got 630 and didn't get an interview. So I'm guessing it's around 640ish?

oh ok, thank you.

Thank you.

I got the same average as you so congrats haha! I looked on the website and they've suggested that they want over around 1750-1870 (this may have changed now due to interim results published today by the UKCAT website). So it does't look like you need to worry for Liverpool (but no one can say for certain), and judging by other people's responses it is a good score to be applying with. Best of luck with your application!
Original post by GenericEm
I got the same average as you so congrats haha! I looked on the website and they've suggested that they want over around 1750-1870 (this may have changed now due to interim results published today by the UKCAT website). So it does't look like you need to worry for Liverpool (but no one can say for certain), and judging by other people's responses it is a good score to be applying with. Best of luck with your application!

Alright, thank you so much and you too!
Reply 959
Hey everyone! Just a question about the mid-way ukcat preliminary results. Over the next few weeks as the september crew finish their exams, is the mean likely to go up or down? I heard someone once tell me that those who do it later tend to do worse, but idek :/ Can't seem to find any previous copies of the document relating to the previous years. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending