Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Optometrist. Pre-reg year is crap, like £15k (can be anywhere between £12k and 20k depending on the company amd area though), but it'll go up to £24k ish in my first proper year. From then on out I expect 'more than my age' if that makes sense. So when I turn thirty I want to be on more than £30k.

If I open my own practice it could go quite high, but I don't know if I ever would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    When I graduate in two years time it rises to £30k so I'm not exactly complaining about £400 a month for the year. :dontknow: I don't really know what to do with the money I have. Guess I'm not a big spender
    Well no you shouldn't be complaining as many live on much less But I personally refuse to live with others, will soon have a car, travel at least twice yearly and eating out is one of my hobbies. Not sure if that qualifies as being a big spender but £400 per month wouldn't cut it.

ReputationRep:
    Initially not much more than something like 18k

I'd be happy with a minimum wage right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownbearxo)
    Well no you shouldn't be complaining as many live on much less But I personally refuse to live alone, will soon have a car, travel at least twice yearly and eating out is one of my hobbies. Not sure if that qualifies as being a big spender but £400 per month wouldn't cut it.
    I'm not sure how you plan on working for a salary that could possibly pay for all of that and give you the time off for two holidays a year. Let's get real here, the jobs that pay you what you sound like you want to afford are not going to give you the free time that you desire.

ReputationRep:
    60K-130K per annum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownbearxo)
    Well no you shouldn't be complaining as many live on much less But I personally refuse to live with others, will soon have a car, travel at least twice yearly and eating out is one of my hobbies. Not sure if that qualifies as being a big spender but £400 per month wouldn't cut it.
    What about your husband?
    So how much would cut it?

ReputationRep:
    Dentistry
    30k training year ~60k+ after
    Then looking to go into specialities (implantology maybe)
    100k+ at that point possibly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Cute how people actually think they will easily earn more than that, apparently not knowing the average starting salary is in that bracket [...]
    Yeah, find them cute as well. Delusion is not good.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    [...] and it is only the minority who earn the crazy amounts being banded about here.
    For once I don't mind to be a member of a minority, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    I'm not in London, but I am on £20k this year and surviving just fine. Not sure where the idea that you'd live an uncomfortable lifestyle came from.
    Surviving ≠ not being miserable.

So how big and modern is your pad then? What car do you have? Maybe even a motorcycle/scooter on the side? Nice vacations? Life starts at 35k, and that's outside London.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to be a private clinical psychologist and once I'm settled and stuff hopefully £80k maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Starting about 18-20k, by the time I've worked my way up the ladder I should be looking at 6 figures + bonus. But it really depends on where I work, who I work for, what I work on.... I'd be happy around 60k. I'd like to get to the point that I'm known within industry and I'm sought after, that'd be cool lol having people wanting to know if I could work for them instead of me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)

So how big and modern is your pad then? What car do you have? Maybe even a motorcycle/scooter on the side? Nice vacations? Life starts at 35k, and that's outside London.
    How much would you need to earn to live a comfortable life (which doesn't just include necessities but also luxuries) in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    How much would you need to earn to live a comfortable life (which doesn't just include necessities but also luxuries) in London?
    60k+

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and my pay will be going up to around £25kpy in the next few months, I hope to be reaching £35k to £40k in my current job in the Army (Royal Signals), but eventually I will aim for around £60k to £100k within Telecommunications in Civvi Street.

But i'm still only 20 so who knows what I will do with my life I might end up doing something completley different life rarely turns out as you plan/expect it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)

LOL I'm a university student. On top of that, I live very comfortably, and I'm not sure why you assume I don't. I cycle into town and walk to work, so I don't need a car. I could probably go on a nice holiday if I saved for a bit. Why does it matter how big and modern my "pad" is? :s You're not going to get what you seem to describe until you're earning well over £35k. I assure you that you are vastly underestimating the cost of the things you describe (at least if you want to live comfortably as well).

ReputationRep:
    Seriously pmsl! Some of these posts! Would love to know the age of some of you. As I have a fair idea going by the detachment of reality prevailing here!

Good luck to you all.

ReputationRep:
    Life starts at £35K. PMSL. Unreal!!

ReputationRep:
    Assuming I get into the industries I want to get into, I'll start at around £25-27,000 then work my way up to a managerial/"head of department"-ish job at £40-45,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightOwl1985)
    Life starts at £35K. PMSL. Unreal!!
    TBF most people on here probably go to public schools and so its obviously going to be skewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Some sort of research chemistry (either academic or industrial) . Will probably start out on about £18k as science graduates are undervalued, but there are plenty of opportunities to rapidly expand into the £28-36k bracket :yep:
    (Original post by MidnightDream)
    Pharmacology

Internet says £20-23,000
    What no

I want more than that :lol:

I'm thinking big pharma corporation!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.