The Student Room Group

Regaining confidence in mathematics...

Heyy

Well in my GCSE's I got an A grade, however in the mocks i got 100%:frown:
I had ambitions of doing mathematics at Cambridge/Oxford, but if I can't even get an A* at GCSE, how would I manage at oxbridge level? My confidence in maths has gone down as a result, it was my best subject and I used to read books upon books which fulled my ambition for the subject, but now I just feel really dis-heartend and I feel I can't even get a good grade in C1

someone please help! as everytime i do something in maths, im just reminded of me not fufiling my potential in my gcse exam (I know an A isn't at all bad, its just i thought it would be an A*:frown:)

I dont know how to regain my confidence, and i dont even know if i should apply to cambridge even if i get good alevels.
Reply 1
Ah don't worry, GCSE maths means nothing compared to A levels. Can't really help you regain your confidence, I guess it's just something you have to do yourself (trying to get ahead by learning differentiation, etc. before starting would help... knowing you're always one step ahead)

Always keep you aims high. Even if you did do bad in C1, you can always resit it during college and oxbridge would never even know.
Don't worry about GCSE grade, because you seem to know your stuff (given that you got an A* in your mocks). However, if there was something in the exams you didn't understand, make sure you know it now. For your reassurance, I had a friend who got an A in GCSE Maths because he didn't really give one about it at the time and is now going into his third year at St. Anne's, Oxford, so don't feel like you've blown your chances. In fact, I'm impressed by your commitment and desire for the subject, I wish I was so passionate about it at your age, it certainly would have improved my application! By the time you apply, you'll have your AS results and they are much more important, believe me. My advice is to improve your exam technique (by completely blitzing through every past paper ever printed on the module!) and keep hope alive (and work hard of course).
Reply 3
aspiringmathematician
Don't worry about GCSE grade, because you seem to know your stuff (given that you got an A* in your mocks). However, if there was something in the exams you didn't understand, make sure you know it now. For your reassurance, I had a friend who got an A in GCSE Maths because he didn't really give one about it at the time and is now going into his third year at St. Anne's, Oxford, so don't feel like you've blown your chances. In fact, I'm impressed by your commitment and desire for the subject, I wish I was so passionate about it at your age, it certainly would have improved my application! By the time you apply, you'll have your AS results and they are much more important, believe me. My advice is to improve your exam technique (by completely blitzing through every past paper ever printed on the module!) and keep hope alive (and work hard of course).

Thanks for that, it really helped:smile:
I just thought that it would seem wierd to apply to such a high status university's with an A in the subject you want to apply to!
But yeah, I will defo concentrate on A levels, and will work hard for this dream:smile:

once again thank you, it made me feel much better.
Reply 4
Oh god its you...

My friend got an A at GCSE and is now taking further maths (after taking it up half way through year 12) and is getting A's (90% + even).
OP you haven't even started a levels yet by the sounds of it, you will be perfectly fine as long as you work hard to make sure you understand what you need to do to find a solution. Just make sure you don't lose confidence in yr 13 like I did, which has now lead me to retaking the year, I still haven't managed to regain confidence yet and I think it may take a while

You seem pretty dedicated to the subject already and have shown good understanding and knowledge, so Im sure you will put the work in and achieve your dream. Good Luck!
Reply 6
Seriously, if you get high UMS marks they will know you're good at maths and your GCSE won't matter - these things happen - could have been your coursework/a bad day. I got AA in English lang and lit at GCSE but went on to get above 90% in the AS level. Don't give up on your entire dream because of one grade! Keep on working hard - what other choice is there? Are you going to not take the AS level just because of this? Are you going to not bother trying at AS level jsut because of this? That's crazy.
Reply 7
Don't worry! I got a B in GCSE Maths, though admittedly that was at a time when I wasn't motivated and did little work outside school, but then mended my ways and just graduated with a first degree in Maths at Warwick and start a PhD next month.

Be sure to prepare well for your A-Level exams by understanding the material, doing lots of practice questions and many past exam papers. Also focus on improving your exam technique if that's something you feel you need to pay attention to.

Don't let one silly GCSE grade dampen your spirits.

Latest