The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Maths at uni of southampton!!!!

:p: Heelo guys, my friend is highly considering going to the university of southampton for a joint degree in mathematics, he wanted me to ask a few questions on TSR, well here i go

first question

1.) How well regarded is the maths department?

2.) Which is more competitve , actuarial studies with maths or statatistics?

3.) If possible can he change maths course after first year if he doesnt like it?

4.) Could he stand a chance of being accepted regarding his predicted A level grades being ABB? in Maths, Chemistry and ICT

thanks very much:biggrin:
nchada383

Actuarial Science makes up a massive proportion of the maths courses, i.e. it has the most students for a maths course, by quite a bit. I've yet to bump into anyone doing the statistics combined...

nchada383

3.) If possible can he change maths course after first year if he doesnt like it?
The first year in most cases is more or less the same across all the maths students. In order words, if he doesn't like it then he might as well drop out :p: For Actuarial Science he needs to do Microeconomics and Macroeconomics from the Economics department to get CT7 exemption. Other than that, I think the rest of the units are core.

nchada383

4.) Could he stand a chance of being accepted regarding his predicted A level grades being ABB? in Maths, Chemistry and ICT
The entry requirement is AAB, isn't it? The last year Maths was in clearing was in 2006 (in 2007 I think it was just Maths and Biology), so Maths offers / places are competitive. I don't believe his chances are good. If he had Further Maths A-level, it would be a slightly different story...
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Mustard-man
Actuarial Science makes up a massive proportion of the maths courses, i.e. it has the most students for a maths course, by quite a bit. I've yet to bump into anyone doing the statistics combined...

The first year in most cases is more or less the same across all the maths students. In order words, if he doesn't like it then he might as well drop out :p: For Actuarial Science he needs to do Microeconomics and Macroeconomics from the Economics department to get CT7 exemption. Other than that, I think the rest of the units are core.

The entry requirement is AAB, isn't it? The last year Maths was in clearing was in 2006 (in 2007 I think it was just Maths and Biology), so Maths offers / places are competitive. I don't believe his chances are good. If he had Further Maths A-level, it would be a slightly different story...

thanks man, though he is confident he can get AAB, is there a chance he could get an offer say for AAB conditional?
nchada383
thanks man, though he is confident he can get AAB, is there a chance he could get an offer say for AAB conditional?
Possible; could depend on other factors on his application that could impress the admission tutors.
Reply 4
nchada383
:p: Heelo guys, my friend is highly considering going to the university of southampton for a joint degree in mathematics, he wanted me to ask a few questions on TSR, well here i go

first question

1.) How well regarded is the maths department?

thanks very much:biggrin:

1) The Maths dept, I guess, is generally well regarded. It's v good for stats

2) Actuarial studies - there are only about 3 or 4 people I know doing Maths with Stats

3) Depends which course he is doing. If he does Maths with Actuarial/Economics/Finance he can switch to any of those. To be honest though, you should switch within your first couple of weeks if you need to.

4) ABB is the offer I had for Maths With Economics - but im not sure if they have buffed up the requirements.
Ratchet1010
1) The Maths dept, I guess, is generally well regarded. It's v good for stats

2) Actuarial studies - there are only about 3 or 4 people I know doing Maths with Stats

3) Depends which course he is doing. If he does Maths with Actuarial/Economics/Finance he can switch to any of those. To be honest though, you should switch within your first couple of weeks if you need to.

4) ABB is the offer I had for Maths With Economics - but im not sure if they have buffed up the requirements.

ye the reqirements have rocketed, it is now AAA and AAB with further maths. Im looking to apply for your course this year. Do you know if it is a very competitive course and also is the maths hard to get to grips with if you havent done a full further maths a level
Reply 6
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK
ye the reqirements have rocketed, it is now AAA and AAB with further maths. Im looking to apply for your course this year. Do you know if it is a very competitive course and also is the maths hard to get to grips with if you havent done a full further maths a level

I heard that we stopped taking applicants on as a whole for Maths. I guess thats why they have rocketed.

If you haven't done further maths its not too difficult to get to grips with concepts. The lectures are more than happy to explain concepts to you one on one. Also you can ask in tutorials.

I would say that Actuarial is more competitive than Maths with Economics, but there are always alot of people doing the course. The first year is the same across Actuarial, Economics and Finance.

Latest

Trending

Trending