The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mobb_theprequel
I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:

well.... i don't know, but does anyone else get stuck on one word so you end up using the word 'originally' about 500 times?
I tihnk i quoted literally every poet and author i knew of lol, however don't know how much use it was. I think quality is a lot better than quality, so i really wouldn't worry!
Reply 42
That tennyson poem was the worst possible thing they could EVER give us, it was beyond rubbish and was waaay to long!!! I was so excited when I saw his name, thought it'd b the charge of the light brigade.... how wrong was I? And question a? omg.... how they present funerals, think of s.thing more original AQA. The whole point in the owen one is they don't HAVE FUNERALS.... AAAAAAAAAARG. Q2 was ok bcoz i got all feminist and stressy and started to slate sassoon etc for being sexist pigs... probs not what they're after but oh well! Probably the most boring paper i've done in english so far. Worse ever attempt at the synoptic paper, all my previous practices were better. GRRRR. But liked Vera B and the Anthem for Doomed Youth, lushy!!!!! Still could've been better.
ditto Yuki
Reply 44
Omg I don't want to look at this thread anymore it's making me feel even worse. Everyone sounds like they did really well. :frown: :frown: :frown:
Don;t be so sure mxox. I fluffed it completely then word vomited over it just to be sure it was dead.
Trust me , a lot of people found that one hard.
My whole class left the hall looking dazed and confused.. choruses of "god that was hard" where heard across the college.
Reply 46
I found it really hard coming up with links. All I kept saying was that each extract showed the destructive nature of war and that the extracts were by women and so couldn't be 'typical'. I hated the fact that the exam was three hours, it just went on for ever!
My school found it very hard too, one girl even left crying :frown: I think the theme of 'ceremonial funerals' or whatever it was threw everyone a bit and then the second part gave no scope to anyone who had focused on patriotism / men in war etc:
Meh, I'm trying to sound optimistic but that was a real bitch!
yuki
How did everyone do?
I found it really hard, :frown: and didn't help that my hands were frozen as the temperature in the exam hall was at near sub zero temperatures.
Anyway what did everyone else think?

I thought it went pretty well - although I panicked when I saw Tennyson! Really relieved to see Anthem for Doomed Youth and the Vera Brittain though. Didn't think much of the last poem though, and The Accrington Pals was a bit strange too, I just talked about the effects on women in the war, compared the psychological effects portrayed with those in Regeneration, and made some tenuous link where someone says "Oh God... don't... don't" or something to the loss of faith at the front, and the bit in Birdsong where the padre hurls his cross away.

My hand feels as though it's about to fall off now! :s:
Reply 49
mxox
Omg I don't want to look at this thread anymore it's making me feel even worse. Everyone sounds like they did really well. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Don't worry about it, I think everyone just trying to be optimistic, even my mate who is like a straigh A student stuggled like hell on that paper.
And oh f***, was going to mention Sassoon's "Glory of Women" but only just remembered this very second :mad:
Neitzhschezehcz
My conclusion to Q2 was literally nonexistant. I ran out of time before I could make it.

EXACTLY my problem!! I think my conclusion was about 2 lines long (in massive scribbly writing) so i defo lost marks there!!
I need a D in this unit to get a B overall, and before, i thought i'd got that. But my friend just told me last year the majority of people at my school 'failed' (not sure if she means got Us or lower than they got in everything else) and i'm really scared now that i haven't got my B :frown:

My wider reading basically consisted of poetry by Rupert Brooke, Siegfried Sassoon and Vera Brittain, and i used one famous quote and one from Journey's End. The majority of this answer (part B) revolved around women, with some references to general points too, but i'm worried that I didn't use regeneration, birdsong or blackadder, the mainpart of my reading. I did use examples of titles of novels as examples of form, but does the range of wider reading that i used in the exam suggest to anyone i've done badly? :frown:
Eeyore
And oh f***, was going to mention Sassoon's "Glory of Women" but only just remembered this very second :mad:

i used that poem :biggrin: i've just remembered a Regeneration quote i could have used with Extract A, and i didn't quote from Regeneration at all :mad:
caffecooki
i used that poem :biggrin: i've just remembered a Regeneration quote i could have used with Extract A, and i didn't quote from Regeneration at all :mad:

I hate it when you only remember stuff you could have included after the exam!! :frown: I tend to find that I come out of an exam thinking it went well, but very rapidly I begin to have major doubts, the more stuff I think of that I should have written!
Reply 54
Hmmm it went better than my mock, but to be fair didn't do too great on my mock!
Yep, Anthem for Doomed Youth was pretty good, as was good old Vera, but the bloody Acrington Pals annoyed the hell out of me, and the Tynan poem was so weird. I put in some pretty random links to wider reading. And I think I name dropped too much? And put too much Birdsong in. Oh well. But overall I didn't think it went that badly. I was more annoyed at this fat old women we had as our invijulator (obviously going to do well in english as I can't actually spell) who kep squeezing past chairs. Grrr.
1a went much better than 1b, but my timing was out the window really! I spent about the same amount of time on 1a as I did 1b - not good. And spent loads of time on the 1b question drawing up a massive grid with all the AOs along the side and extracts up the top. At least my planning was good for once! (won't help my mark but heyho...)

Is it definately true that 1a and 1b are worth the same amount of marks?
Eeyore
I hate it when you only remember stuff you could have included after the exam!! :frown: I tend to find that I come out of an exam thinking it went well, but very rapidly I begin to have major doubts, the more stuff I think of that I should have written!

yep! i'm exactly the same!! i thought i'd got what i needed in that exam but after talking to people who were a bit insure it's made me paranoid!! if only we didn't have to wait 2 months for the results!! :mad:
Reply 56
Sian01
At least my planning was good for once! (won't help my mark but heyho...)

Is it definately true that 1a and 1b are worth the same amount of marks?

yes your planning will help your mark, and the markers tend to put more to q1b, but they are worth the same amount, it should have said so on the paper
Sian01
I think I name dropped too much?

We've established you cant name drop too much! You see that model answer where the person just listed poems with matching themes?
I thought the funeral question was a bit pants too but the extracts for part b weren't too bad, I managed to remember to mention Glory of women but I don't think I had enough references for a very good mark. Overall the exam was pretty difficult, a lot of what I was writing for (a) particularly was kinda b/s :frown: I can never tell how my exams went though, I don't think I failed or anything (hopefully)....
Reply 59
OpressedMass
We've established you cant name drop too much! You see that model answer where the person just listed poems with matching themes?

Nope...does it name drop a lot then? Thats good!

Latest

Trending

Trending