The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Huge generalisation...

...Besides; Indians tend to achieve more highly academically (one of the only ethnic minorities to achieve higher than Whites in education) than Whites, so perhaps are more likey to wish to be a doctor or a lawyer... this could be for the reason you set, it could be for aspiratins due to being a minority, it could be a wish to do a job where many of their own kind where racism will not be encountered (an attraction of the medical profession) or whatever. Saying there is a whip from pushy parents is far too much a generalisation: at my school with a very high % of all sorts of ethnic minorities; whilst many Asians have had the whip from pushy parents; this applies equally to White people... but what I do know is they try harder at their work often.
Reply 2
yep, it's a generalisation, but it is one that seems to pretty much apply in my learning centre (school)
Potjaz
Before i start, all stupid people read the following. All clever folk move on to the second paragraph. IT IS NOT RASCIST TO COMMENT ON OBSERVATIONS?YEH??

Is it just at my school, or do 99% of asians want to do medecin or be a lawyer..

I suspect the metaphorical whip from pushy parents...

same here
most asians want 2 do medicine- i think its probably parent pressure, cos they make out that being a Dr is a good job. but other jobs are equally good
Reply 4
I'm asian and I want to be neither a doctor or a lawyer, I want an international pop career (no im joking :smile: ) But I can see where you could come up with such a generalisation, however, it is just that - a generalisation. My parents are very lenient and although they stress for me to do well, they have never told me which profession to go into. And anyway I thought Asian people study business, even when their not very good at it :/ O well !!
Reply 5
Yeah, asians want their kids to have "bright" future, I understand..
I wanna be an accountant lol (like anywayone cares) hehe
Reply 6
Unfortunately, it is true in many many cases. And normally because of parental persuasion/tradition.
lmao.

erm, no. not ALL asians want to become doctors/lawyers.
Reply 8
Potjaz
Before i start, all stupid people read the following. All clever folk move on to the second paragraph. IT IS NOT RASCIST TO COMMENT ON OBSERVATIONS?YEH??

Is it just at my school, or do 99% of asians want to do medecin or be a lawyer..

I suspect the metaphorical whip from pushy parents...

SO very true.. im asian! And my sis just qualified as a doctor..

My mum's words..."Anneka..i have given u the choice..its either a doctor or a lawyer"... I picked the latter coz im scared of blood!
Reply 9
and I think they actually enjoy working too!

gud analysis though the quote above is not true... they have to work harder because as the citizens of a developing country, it is a necessity for them if they want to compete in a world where unfair trade rules are set out by developed nations like the UK...

also i'm outraged by ppl here who think there r no asians in any other fields... just name one right? bet u wont be able to
Reply 10
I think this is because most asian kids living in the UK have one/both parent who is a doctor.
Reply 11
Adhsur
Unfortunately, it is true in many many cases. And normally because of parental persuasion/tradition.

Why is it unfortunate that they want to go into medicine?

It basically just their culture, and we really shouldn't be judging them. They gernally work harder and achieve higher acadiemically. I know there are few stories of some students being pushed so hard they want to/have commit suicide, but that is very few.

I wasn't really sure why you put it was unforutunate and in what sense, is it unfortunate we have Asian doctors or unforutnate that they may be being pushed into it?
Reply 12
midzt
Why is it unfortunate that they want to go into medicine?

It basically just their culture, and we really shouldn't be judging them. They gernally work harder and achieve higher acadiemically. I know there are few stories of some students being pushed so hard they want to/have commit suicide, but that is very few.

I wasn't really sure why you put it was unforutunate and in what sense, is it unfortunate we have Asian doctors or unforutnate that they may be being pushed into it?

i think its very unfortunate that they are pushed into it.. without a desire, will they actually make a good doctor?
Reply 13
The reason I personally want to try for medicine is because I excel at Sciences(never been pushed in that direction by my parents) and, even though it sounds cheesy I think being a doctor is one of the most worthwhile jobs you can do which includes science, specifically chemistry/biology.

However, at my college, there are a few asians (Indian, Pakistani, Bangledeshi etc) that want to do medicine but really haven't thought it through, they don't have the minimum requirements in terms of grades but still choose that path is for them. I suspect these people are going in that general direction because of pressure at home.

The reason asian parents push their children into careers like law/medicine is because (as Oliver stated) they're high, prestigous postions in society. Generally speaking when first generation asians arrived in the UK they were treated like crap initially, had no chance of a proper education and had to work from the bottom up. They don't want the same for their children so they push them to do better and take the oppurtunities that they didn't get.
w8wizz
I think this is because most asian kids living in the UK have one/both parent who is a doctor.

yeah i think that is true. my dad is a doctor. and since i grew up in india my dad had this whole circle of doctor friends so i had friends who were like this brainy kind and we always had competitions on who gets higher marks and every1 wanted to become doctor. so, yeah, i think that greatly affects your way of thinking.
Reply 15
fairygirl21
lmao.

erm, no. not ALL asians want to become doctors/lawyers.

yeh, that's kinda why i didn't say "all"...
Reply 16
I am asian, and my dad is a doctor too. I am not pushed to do medicine, I dont want to do it
Reply 17
I would just like to clarify that me applying for and getting into medical school was my choice, and not my parents', despite me being of Asian origin. I do agree that in some cases, parents play a HUGE part in "helping their kids decide" what to do at uni.
Reply 18
w8wizz

I doubt its 'most' asian parents. More like 5%?
I personally believe that there WAS a metaphorical whip, as the thread starter put it of parents pushing Indian kids into medicine or law. That said if any of you have applied for any of these courses (particularly medicine where you have to have an interview) you really do have to come off as completely enthusiastic about your career becasue its such a competitive world out there - the only way that this is going to be achieved is if you want to do the subject your self.

Also particularly amongst 2nd or 3rd generation indians and asian, parent are getting more exposure to other careers, particularly accountancy and IB etc etc. Basically i think Asian parents are becoming increasingly more cosmopolitan in their outlook. That said i still believe that parents want there kids to go into a profession as opposed to doing a subject based degree at University because of enhanced job prospects.

As an british indian myself i have experianced this increasingly growing hostility towards medicine in particular of doctors working stupid hours for comparitively little reward.

Latest

Trending

Trending