The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im starting in September. I cnt wait its going to be a whole new start and i'l get to meet new people, im gonig to put more effort in and get the grades i know i can achieve
Well, from my own experience, the first few weeks were quite strange, yes. The teachers treat you with a lot more respect, its much more relaxed, and very hard to adapt to the workload... To succeed at A-level you undoubtedly need to work for it.... GCSE's were simple, you only needed to remember facts and figures.... in A-level you must learn and understand things, then apply them to other situations.

But in all, the atmosphere has been great, we've had a great laugh in some of the lessons, and we are usually (within reason) allowed to do whatever we like... (we held numerous competitions throughout the year! [in which i played with a 3 man team in 5 a side :rolleyes: ])
Reply 3
it sounds great. I'm really looking forward to it. I went to an all girls convent school and found it got quite boring. I'm looking forward it very much! I ahve my induction day thing on thursday!
I'm starting in September and I really can't wait to get rid of subjects I don't like and do the ones I do like to a higher level.. not worried about it at all, I'm going to some sample lessons on the 28th..
Reply 5
i start sometime in september...cant wait for it.
their some real dkheads @ my old school so its gonna be fun 2 get rid of them and meet new ppl...:p:

i wud be scared if a load of my friends werent going 2 the same college
Reply 6
Yeh its good to get away from people you dont get on with and subjects you dont like. I wont know anyone at college because we live about 45mins away - we're moving house this summer tho. So it will be a little scarry - But I'm sure there will be laods of other people in my position!

What courses are you taking? I'm doing biology, theatre studies and music tec (with physics from home)
If anyone would like some information relating to Maths, Physics, ICT, Psychology or GS at AS, then feel free to ask :smile:
saiyamana
If anyone would like some information relating to Maths, Physics, ICT, Psychology or GS at AS, then feel free to ask :smile:

is psychology good?
HearTheThunder
is psychology good?

:eek: Is psychology good?!

Psychology is a remarkable subject which investigates human behaviour under 5 main areas. It is a wonderful subject which helps you understand why people do things, and it really helps you develop good social and personal skills. It looks at some remarkable studies, which show the extreme behaviours people can be observed performing... for example, will people shock other people if told to? [relates to the Nazi's]. It is a great subject which gives you wider knowledge and understanding of different cultures around the world. There are even possible chances of conducting your own research, for example, we are researching Why football teams play better at home than away. It will be very interesting if you do not take people at face value, and think there are meanings to why people behave as they do... :smile:

Last year, i was hoping to take ICT or Maths at University, but just in the space of one year i've changed my mind, as a lot of the information and studies can be related to my own experiences! It is a great subject which i would highly recommend to any pupil thinking about taking the subject! :biggrin:
GiBB*

i wud be scared if a load of my friends werent going 2 the same college

I am :frown: I'm moving from Lancashire to Hampshire :redface: .

Michael
saiyamana
:eek: Is psychology good?!

Psychology is a remarkable subject which investigates human behaviour under 5 main areas. It is a wonderful subject which helps you understand why people do things, and it really helps you develop good social and personal skills. It looks at some remarkable studies, which show the extreme behaviours people can be observed performing... for example, will people shock other people if told to? [relates to the Nazi's]. It is a great subject which gives you wider knowledge and understanding of different cultures around the world. There are even possible chances of conducting your own research, for example, we are researching Why football teams play better at home than away. It will be very interesting if you do not take people at face value, and think there are meanings to why people behave as they do... :smile:

Last year, i was hoping to take ICT or Maths at University, but just in the space of one year i've changed my mind, as a lot of the information and studies can be related to my own experiences! It is a great subject which i would highly recommend to any pupil thinking about taking the subject! :biggrin:

Yeah I've applied to take it.. to A2 level along with all my others, lookings really interesting.. I've got a sample lesson of it on the 28th this month so I'll tell you how it goes
General Studies

General studies involves brief knowledge of mathematics, Science, and Politics (depending on your exam board). The course content is basic concepts in each of these fields, and is at times quite interesting. It is a very good way of raising political awareness, and to make sure everyone can add up. :biggrin: Some simply use it as a doss, but it is worthwile, as 1. You only need to go to a few lessons a week, and 2. Its an extra (rather easy) qualification.

Physics

Physics explores basic ideas you learned in GCSE, and applies them to realistic situations. It looks at the interesting side of physics, such as the elusive 'Quarks' and many other particles... It also takes a look at how waves travel, and extends your prior knowledge of GCSE Physics. It is particularly useful with an engineering course/job, as it looks at how circuits work, and how to determine things like the Total resistance in a parallel circuit. The first paper is relatively simple, provided you do M1 Mathematics, as it is very similar. It is a rather easy subject, provided you are either good at maths, or with mechanics (making things work) or both! Its is an interesting subject, which looks at experiments such as Vibrations in a String -- in which our class used a guitar! The physics practical exam (check your exam board) is particularly fun, and very easy to score high marks on... It is a wonderfuly step up from GCSE, gradually introducing ideas so that you get used to them and can apply them to real life situations.. Highly recommended for someone interested in Engineering, regardless of 'intelligence' :smile:
Don't worry about not knowing people, there are loads of people at my college who started off not knowing anyone, the best thing is just to get talking to random people as soon as possible. Most people are in the same boat. I found that at school I was basically just friends with the people around me, but at college I made some really great friends I had loads in common with :smile:
I love college so much more than I did school, the fact that you have free periods in which you can do anything you want, there's more inidividual study, the teachers see you as equals and no uniform are all great benefits. And the timetable's much more flexible and you're more likely to get to do the exact subjects you want, being taught by experts (one teacher at my college has written textbooks for A level Biology, and one of my English teachers wriites for Peter Kay). Plus of course, the benefits of being with more people your own age and having hot drinks machines! Hehe. I can honestly say that I'm actually quite good friends with some of my teachers (although that sounds so sad!!!) - gone out and got pissed with them before and I've got a couple of their phone numbers.
But yeah, the freedom and feeling of a new start is fantastic :smile:
Reply 14
Starsailor
I am :frown: I'm moving from Lancashire to Hampshire :redface: .

Michael

where abouts in hampsire wot college?
Reply 15
Going to college is the best thing I ever did.
Niaya
where abouts in hampsire wot college?

Farnborough Sixth Form.

A village called Hartley Wintney. It's about 20 minutes away from Basingstoke but still nice and quiet :smile:

Michael
Reply 17
i m going to a completely new school for 6th form and plus it is boarding grammar school.lol. I m scared.lol.It can be creepy.
Reply 18
IZZY!
i m going to a completely new school for 6th form and plus it is boarding grammar school.lol. I m scared.lol.It can be creepy.

Why are you going to boarding school? :confused:
I can't wait to start college in september!

Latest

Trending

Trending