The Student Room Group

A2 geography unit 4 Tectonic Activity pre-release january 2010

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone one have a good geographical definition of vulnerability? Can't find a good one :/
Hey :smile:

ive only just found this thread, but yeh i have the same exam....

with including the varying forms, i think ill do that within headings on the different effects cos i find if i split my report into eq, volcanoes etc, then i just tend to regurgitate case studies.....so we were told as long as we mention case studies on all types etc....it doesnt have to be clearly labelled, what do you think?

also, with references, how often were you told to do them? i know theyre important but im not doing them after like every few sentences!!
Reply 42
hi im sitting this exam aswell i thought the case studies can only be up 6 years old thats what my techer says anyways my case studies are

2009 L'aquila earthquake
2008 Sichuan earthquake
2005 Kashmir earthquake
2006 Japanese tsunami
2004 Asian Tsunami
Mt Merapi
Sakurajima
Reply 43
Bleached
hi im sitting this exam aswell i thought the case studies can only be up 6 years old thats what my techer says anyways my case studies are

2009 L'aquila earthquake
2008 Sichuan earthquake
2005 Kashmir earthquake
2006 Japanese tsunami
2004 Asian Tsunami
Mt Merapi
Sakurajima

You'll definitely get marked down if you don't include Haiti, as this is a research unit.
Reply 44
saraabukar
You'll definitely get marked down if you don't include Haiti, as this is a research unit.

highest research marks going to those picking on unusual or uncommonly used cases.

though im surprised so many are unaware of montserrat
alex p
highest research marks going to those picking on unusual or uncommonly used cases.

though im surprised so many are unaware of montserrat

We did Montserrat and it was mentioned quite a few times on resources my teachers found between schools but its not one of my favourite case studies =/
Bleached

An absolute lie.
Reply 47
She`Appears
We did Montserrat and it was mentioned quite a few times on resources my teachers found between schools but its not one of my favourite case studies =/

as in the eruptions within the last few weeks? seriously, sooo many people seem blissfully unaware

and yes, its bs that they must be in the last 6 years, alot of mine were pree 1900 and i got 100% :biggrin:
as long as you justify why youre using your case studies surely you can use whatever you want? if you mention that they're not as reliable because they're 50 years old, then you'll still get good marks?
Reply 49
Humanitiesboy123
An absolute lie.

well my teacher went on a course about it and thats what she said although it doesnt specifically say it in the syballus we could both be right..
You won't get marked down for any case study you used.

Haiti is just as relevent as Northridge.
Kobe/Kashmir is just as relevent as Kilaeua in hawaii.

Every case study shows research. There is no "unusual case studies". A case study is a case study. It's not exactly like they take certain cases and hide them in the internet, highest scores for those who found those.

EDIT: Lmao, who negged me for that? At least leave a reason/Name. That doesn't even make any sense. There was nothing offensive in my post, nor anything incorrect.
Reply 51
saraabukar

Dont be silly you winnet, course he wont get marked down. Your just scaremongering him and everyone else. :/
Reply 52
redporshe
Dont be silly you winnet, course he wont get marked down. Your just scaremongering him and everyone else. :/

Haha. Do what you like. I was just giving some advise. Seeing as when my teacher went on the conference before the Haiti disaster that marks will be knocked if either Sichuan or Kashmir wasn't used. But know that a more resent earthquake has occurred and the mark scheme clearly saying that you get marks awarded for up to date research.

Also previous years in the old syllabus. There was a similar research unit and this was in January 2005 after the Asian tsunami and the people who didn't include this were penalized.
saraabukar
Haha. Do what you like. I was just giving some advise. Seeing as when my teacher went on the conference before the Haiti disaster that marks will be knocked if either Sichuan or Kashmir wasn't used. But know that a more resent earthquake has occurred and the mark scheme clearly saying that you get marks awarded for up to date research.

Also previous years in the old syllabus. There was a similar research unit and this was in January 2005 after the Asian tsunami and the people who didn't include this were penalized.

Have you actualy seen the *generic* mark scheme the markers are given?

/Facepalm.
Reply 54
RollerBall
Have you actualy seen the *generic* mark scheme the markers are given?

/Facepalm.

WIN :-D
Reply 55
I am not doing tectonics - (Life on the margins), so I don't know what your research focus is; but certainly for what I am doing it stresses the fact that case studies should be contemporary - (10-20 years or so).

So there may be an element of truth, but you can't get marked down for it - can't get marked down for anything. Examiners are there to give marks for knowledge.
Reply 56
how did everyone find the tectonics paper todai?!
drizzle1
how did everyone find the tectonics paper todai?!

I don't know... It was a good question but I keep thinking 'I wish I wrote this and oh no, I forgot to write about that'
Painfull. Writing 19 and a half pages in one hour and 15 minutes is not cool.

My right hand now has a permanent claw.
She`Appears
I don't know... It was a good question but I keep thinking 'I wish I wrote this and oh no, I forgot to write about that'

Yeah i thought the question was ok, but it was extremely vague and you could have spoken about responses even though the pre-released material was mainly on impacts. I have the same feeling as you though there are a lot more relevant things i could have included however it was quite short. What case studies did you use? And how much did you write?
Do you think it matters whether you do not include what plate boundary each case study is, as i mentioned only on a a couple that it was on convergent for example or transform? Like will i loose a lot of marks? As i did in my introduction mention each one in detail and what hazards occur on them and hotspots as well. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending