The Student Room Group

In Year 11, choosing A levels!

Heya

Im currently in year 11 and am choosing my AS levels before the 8th of Feb.

Im predicted A/A* in all of my subjects and wish to work for a career in either medicine or a branch of science such as ecology

At the moment I KNOW i want to do Chem, Biology and Geography for AS but i need to pick another.

My other strengths are History, English and Physics (but I dont know whether i'd be bogged down doing all 3 sciences??)

Thanks!!

P.s. I know maths would be great but i HATE it :biggrin:
Reply 1
Where's the maths love? :wink:
I agree with Keoje, maths would be a decent choice.
Reply 3
good choices so far, maths would make a good set, but basicaly choose the ones you like and are good at.
Reply 4
I'd say English - it makes a very well-rounded set of AS levels, plus it's AMAZING :biggrin: (if you have the right exam board and get to do the same sort of stuff I did when I did it).
Reply 5
If you really don't want to do maths then take up physics. It is far more desirable than the other subjects you have listed.
I say the best bet is, Travel and Tourism.
Reply 7
definately maths, having physics would look really good but like you say it may bog you down... don't just choose your subjects because they 'look good' though, choose them because you enjoy them..
Reply 8
To be honest For medicine you cant go far wrong with any of those (after chemistry and biology). The people i know who are doing medicine all do chemistry biology and maths. id personally go for physics but its entirely up to you. I think they'll be more fussed about the grade you get than the subject you get it in.
Reply 9
morg
definitely maths, having physics would look really good but like you say it may bog you down

Im not sure Physics would bog you down any more than maths would. I don't do physics so i cant really tell but people seem to struggle as much if not more with maths at A level.

I'm agreeing with the general consensus of "do what you enjoy" though.
Reply 10
If you really hate maths I'm not sure you'd like physics as-level as that contains quite a lot of maths. Mostly just putting numbers into formulae, but it's maths nonetheless. :p:

Between History and English, I don't really know what you'd prefer. Both are equally respected and would make good contrasting AS levels. If it was me I'd choose History as I prefer learning facts and writing waffly essays in not-so-perfect English. In English you have to be better at writing well, but there's less memorisation as you analyse stuff.
Reply 11
I agree with Tetra3, if you're not doing Maths/don't like Maths then you might not like Physics so much, and it will be a bit harder without Maths

If you don't mind Maths, most 'medics' usually take 'BCM', Biology, Chemistry, Maths, so I'd say do BCM + Geography, then you can pretty much go anywhere within your interests...
English or Maths definitely.
Both are good on any course.
Reply 13
Thanks everyone, this is veryy useful
As i said, im not particularly a mathsy person so im really leaning towards adding history to my list :smile:
Cheers!
I am also in Year 11 and just chose my A-level choices :smile:

In the future I would like to study psychology, or maybe - more relevant to your choices - Biological Sciences.

For my A-levels I choose;

Biology
Chemistry
History
English Literature

Biology & Chemistry are must-haves, History is well-respected, research based (as I'd expect is Geography) and English lit. is great for analysing materials and extensive essay writing - I, like you, don't like maths and so don't think I'd cope with AS physics, I can barely calculate resistance, lol.

In conclusion you are right to go with Biology and Chemistry, I then suggest a humanity and an art or two humaities to go with, all biology, Biological sciences (which Ecology comes under) courses I have looked at, require Biology/Chemistry and some "recommend" a third science or maths to atleast AS.

To be honest they'd rather you got AAA in something you like + Biology and Chemistry rather than AAC with the C in maths or physics, if you know what I mean!

As long as you pick those two to A2 and can justify your other choices (like I have) I see no reason why you couldn't study ecology at any university - be careful if you want to change to Biochemistry though, they normally want maths or physics!
do maths it opens many opportunites 4 u
Reply 16
Im in the exact same position,
Year 11, A/A* grades, and wanting to go on to study medicine.
I chose:
Chemistry, Biology, Maths, History

I've looked at uni requirements for medicine, and loads want to have Maths for at least AS level, so i'd recommend doing it. :smile:
Reply 17
Lizzieeee

My other strengths are History, English and Physics (but I dont know whether i'd be bogged down doing all 3 sciences??)

Thanks!!

P.s. I know maths would be great but i HATE it :biggrin:

I'd suggest going for English.

Latest