The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TwirlGirl
Dentistry is great :yep:

Not as great as medicine :teehee:
Reply 21
polkmn
You studied both medicine and dentistry?

No I haven't.. I'm talking from both medics and dentists I've spoken to.. The dentists have even said its easier than medicine, and that the pay is better considering the relative workload..
Reply 22
polkmn
You studied both medicine and dentistry?

My brother is a dentist and he is minted (however, he did not enter the profession to become minted, he wanted to be a dentist first and foremost). Doubtless he worked hard for his degree, but he is really enjoying himself. He has a fair amount of holiday and isn't too overworked (Again, no doubt he is stressed day to day but he's always happy and never down around us), assuming I get into medicine, he will be earning a heck of a lot more than I will/probably ever will as a doctor.
Reply 23
sidrah
No I haven't.. I'm talking from both medics and dentists I've spoken to.. The dentists have even said its easier than medicine, and that the pay is better considering the relative workload..

I don't think you're in a position to say which one is easier or harder until you actually do both. :smile: Opinions from your friends are subjective, what one may find hard, others may find easy.
Reply 24
polkmn
I don't think you're in a position to say which one is easier or harder until you actually do both. :smile: Opinions from your friends are subjective, what one may find hard, others may find easy.

Well yeah, but I can only really speak from their experiences lol...
Otherwise it'd be an awfully long wait..
Reply 25
Woody.
My brother is a dentist and he is minted (however, he did not enter the profession to become minted, he wanted to be a dentist first and foremost). Doubtless he worked hard for his degree, but he is really enjoying himself. He has a fair amount of holiday and isn't too overworked (Again, no doubt he is stressed day to day but he's always happy and never down around us), assuming I get into medicine, he will be earning a heck of a lot more than I will/probably ever will as a doctor.

Not necessarily - dentists earn their peak wage when they reach 30, then it levels off/declines. A doctors wage can raise indefinitely as they climb the ladder or whatever it is you crazy kids do :p:
Reply 26
Mushaboom
Not necessarily - dentists earn their peak wage when they reach 30, then it levels off/declines. A doctors wage can raise indefinitely as they climb the ladder or whatever it is you crazy kids do :p:

Nah, he's in the forces so that's not going to be happening to him.
Reply 27
Woody.

Oooh I was considering that path, does he enjoy it? I'm worried about the whole dangerous war torn countries aspect of it :s-smilie:
Reply 28
Woody.

i'm guessing a doctors salary in the forces would be very high too
Reply 29
Mushaboom
Oooh I was considering that path, does he enjoy it? I'm worried about the whole dangerous war torn countries aspect of it :s-smilie:

Yeah he really enjoys it. He lives a fantastic lifestyle. He has a fair chunk of time off (or so it seems to me anyway!) and yeah, he does go to war torn countries (not that regularly tbh) but as a dentist he's hardly front line. Normally in the camps treating soldiers. Don't get me wrong, if you are not suited to that kind of lifestyle you would probably hate it but for him it's great, I think he really enjoys his job.

cgpas
i'm guessing a doctors salary in the forces would be very high too

Quite possibly. I still believe dentists earn more, but don't quote me on that.
Woody.
Yeah he really enjoys it. He lives a fantastic lifestyle. He has a fair chunk of time off (or so it seems to me anyway!) and yeah, he does go to war torn countries (not that regularly tbh) but as a dentist he's hardly front line. Normally in the camps treating soldiers. Don't get me wrong, if you are not suited to that kind of lifestyle you would probably hate it but for him it's great, I think he really enjoys his job.

I'd love to work as a dentist in the forces :yep:
Definitely something to look into.
3 dentists in my family, I say it's time for change
Reply 32
ChilliChickenWings
3 dentists in my family, I say it's time for change

haha same....but im sticking with dentistry ... call me original!
Reply 33
klbj
Reply 34
Is it bad that my main answer why I wouldn't do it is because I hate icky teeth?
why do dentists have to go to uni for 5 years to learn about the mouth yet doctors learn about the whole body in the same time?

not having a dig at dentists its just somthing i have no understanding of :smile:
Reply 36
T-Reks
Snap...going to do same A levels as you...although i hate maths!...How have you found ur subjects?

:five: on the subjects
Reply 37
Helenia
Is it bad that my main answer why I wouldn't do it is because I hate icky teeth?

lol, no, but it's funny considering you'll probably be dealing with other parts of the anatomy that have become 'icky'. *cough* :p:
Reply 38
cgpas
any medics regret doing medicine and wish they had done dentistry?

well er no... what the hell do dentists do?? 'and this terms anatomy module is er.. the teeth..' seriously it baffles me what they spend their 5 years doing apart from learning how to inflict maximum discomfort and pain.
Reply 39
ballerinabetty
why do dentists have to go to uni for 5 years to learn about the mouth yet doctors learn about the whole body in the same time?

exactly.. but then I guess vets probably say the same about us..

Latest