The Student Room Group

AQA A2 ict coursework anyone?

omygosh, i am so stuck :|

i need serious helppp

for my coursework im having to design a database, with all the different sections of coursework, analysis etc.

okay im on the design and i dont know what to write at all, im not sure how to justify the different solution available and what else to write about

help? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Imagine how I feel, we have only just started the coursework today...and we've got till easter half term to do it!
Reply 2
Thats a really easy deadline to meet to be fair.

Our deadline is March 25th
Reply 3
our deadline is early march.
should be alright.

how many pages are people looking to do?

My background and invest is just over 20. Just starting to re do analysis because first time it was ****.

looking for around 80-100 pages im thinking.
Reply 4
I reckon around 150-170 easy

80-100 was GCSE projects :P
Reply 5
How much has everyone done then? Ive done about 12 pages for background and halfway through analysis (our teacher only set this coursework around 2 weeks ago :s-smilie: )
Reply 6
OrangeStu
I reckon around 150-170 easy

80-100 was GCSE projects :P

Haha yeah same, so far I've done Background, Analysis and Design which gets me to around 130 pages.

This is our only chance to punish the teacher by making them read 100's of pages of jibberish.
Reply 7
Estimate was miles off.
Currently 210 with testing still be completed, user acceptance needs doing and then Evaluation.
230 should do it i think.
Reply 8
I'm finishing off design and I'm only on about 80 :|.

How the hell are you guys getting to 200+?

Tell me your layout? (Your contents?)
Reply 9
What types of businesses is everyone basing their databases on? Anyone doing hairdressers by any chance? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Ali_c9
I'm finishing off design and I'm only on about 80 :|.

How the hell are you guys getting to 200+?

Tell me your layout? (Your contents?)

Background and invest is about 28
Analysis runs to 60 ish
designs is to about 120
testing is huge to about 200 because of all the screen shots
and about 25 of evaluation
Reply 11
Ok had this Database project since September so feel sorry for you guys who got in Jan. At the same time, absolutely useless teacher, marks work at A's and after moderation come back as C's and D's. Does anyone know if you need an Installation Guide in your Documenting and Testing your solution section?
Reply 12
bogooner
What types of businesses is everyone basing their databases on? Anyone doing hairdressers by any chance? :biggrin:

T-shirt design shops, bridal shops, milkshape shops, florests, guitar shops (2nd hand and new to make it more complex)
Reply 13
jaknffc
Background and invest is about 28
Analysis runs to 60 ish
designs is to about 120
testing is huge to about 200 because of all the screen shots
and about 25 of evaluation

I still don't understand how you can do 120 pages on Design..

Mine is about 30 pages. How on earth do you manage 120.. :|

Plus, for testing, I was under the impression we don't need to screenshot absolutely everything..
Reply 14
Ali_c9
I still don't understand how you can do 120 pages on Design..

Mine is about 30 pages. How on earth do you manage 120.. :|

Plus, for testing, I was under the impression we don't need to screenshot absolutely everything..

I did like 70 (or something) pages for design and it's mostly pictures of form and report designs, and tables for things like queries and normalisation.
Reply 15
Pictures which you have designed, I assume yes? I only needed one per form and I only did 3 forms. 4 Queries which I can't really.. have a design picture for, 4 tables, which are designed in Word Tables.. Macro Designs just talking about them.. But still, only 30 pages. Quite confused how you guys got to 70-120.

What's 'Normalisation'?
Normalisation isn't in the new spec don't worry :smile:
Reply 17
Ali_c9
Pictures which you have designed, I assume yes? I only needed one per form and I only did 3 forms. 4 Queries which I can't really.. have a design picture for, 4 tables, which are designed in Word Tables.. Macro Designs just talking about them.. But still, only 30 pages. Quite confused how you guys got to 70-120.

What's 'Normalisation'?

Yes they're all pictures I designed, but I'm making a massive system and each form takes up at least half a page with some reports taking up to 5 pages.

I also have a LOT of queries, because in my system I have to write queries for everything while in Access it tends to do queries in the background so you don't even know. I'm probably not going to gain any extra credit for doing this though (I thought I would at first), so don't worry..

OrangeStu
Normalisation isn't in the new spec don't worry :smile:

Our teacher told us to do it, but you're right it isn't on the spec. Maybe it's just for extra evidence and planning or something?
Ok I think its irrelevant that we should be arguing about how many pages we got because its always quality over quantity. Our teacher said that it's possible to get the whole thing done in somewhat 70 pages and still get an A so I doubt quantity really matters.

I have a question though..

I'm on the Analysis/deliverables stage and don't know what to include at all. Also, what are the 'scopes' for my business and what are the internal/externail constraints. :s-smilie:
Reply 19
I actually hate this CW its going to be the death of me. Its so rediculous. I've got Analysis and Design in for tomorrow. I still don't even know what a database does. =/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending