The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
is the thing asking you about the sportrec and artpass the fresher's pack? or is that sent seperately?

i will get both sportrec and artpass. had alwasy intended on getting the sportrec and would quite like to see some comedy or theatre especially for £5! but only if others want to come....?

also....there was something else.....ohh yes.

on you go under "people doing the same course as you" does it include everyone at your uni doing your course. it is just there are only 12 people on mine?! and 2 of them must have already replied to me on here!!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 401
v12dude
is the thing asking you about the sportrec and artpass the fresher's pack? or is that sent seperately?

i will get both sportrec and artpass. had alwasy intended on getting the sportrec and would quite like to see some comedy or theatre especially for £5! but only if others want to come....?

also....there was something else.....ohh yes.

on you go under "people doing the same course as you" does it include everyone at your uni doing your course. it is just there are only 12 people on mine?! and 2 of them must have already replied to me on here!!

I'm picking both too, I'm sure there'll be people willing to go to the theatres and the like :smile:

Their social networking rip-off is opt-in only. You have to create an account on it (using your UCAS information). So it's fair to say that those 12 people are not the only people!
Alastor
Yeah I imagine so, not like they would be able to tell if the photo is not from a booth either (usually white back). Perhaps there's a distinct smell to booth photos? Not like I can see the ID people sniffing our photos... A relatively-decent photo and print on maximum settings on an inkjet with photo paper and it should be ok.

What are you studying this year?

I printed my own when I started two years ago! Just do it on photo paper and make sure it's decent, they're really not going to care... besides, when you get your ID card, the photo doesn't look great once they've transferred it... mine's really dark!
Two questions because I'm useless at forms :p:

Year of degree: - start year or end year?

And "student ID number" - is that just the 8 digit number or do we put the undergrad code (is it 4?) in front of it as well?!
Reply 404
lozz2601
Two questions because I'm useless at forms :p:

Year of degree: - start year or end year?

And "student ID number" - is that just the 8 digit number or do we put the undergrad code (is it 4?) in front of it as well?!

8 Digit.

:h:
:facepalm: I sent my forms of yesterday but just realised I left the start date of my course blank :frown:
Woo... I just checked my emails and I'm working at Wessex lane moving all the freshers in on move in weekend! Hope you're all excited!
Reply 407
Does anyone know how much the tickets are for freshers when they go on sale the 6th? I went on the student's union website and it didn't say.
razz24
Does anyone know how much the tickets are for freshers when they go on sale the 6th? I went on the student's union website and it didn't say.

Depends what for - Usually the Friday/Saturday night Cube events will be about £3.
marcusmerehay
Depends what for - Usually the Friday/Saturday night Cube events will be about £3.

whats the max the freshers event tickets will cost?
and also how do people dress for freshers ball? like OTT?
Resourceful
whats the max the freshers event tickets will cost?
and also how do people dress for freshers ball? like OTT?

Depends where the event is and what it is.

Same goes for Freshers Ball really. There's an official one with Calvin Harris I think in town, which I imagine would be black tie, however I think the one in the Cube isn't that expensive. In my first year we had The Saturdays (before they became overly famous).

Even if you can't make the events, your Halls JCR (the guys in charge of bars and stuff) will have alternative events running. One of my best mates Shane is the president of the Glen Eyre JCR for this year, and I know for a fact that he's got a packed first couple of weeks for the guys staying there. You may well even end up seeing me at an event or two, given that I'll be living right next to the campus this year.
Reply 411
Does anyone have their university welcome pack yet? I'm still waiting on mine :s-smilie:.
Is it necessary to buy tickets for events before arriving ??? Can you buy then there (around the 26th, 27th) ???
At the moment I'm not sure which events i would want to attend, but if i don't buy tickets when they come out (monday) will i be left alone with nothing to do during freshers ? etc...
Will i be seen as an outcast if i don't attend every event etc...
:/
Reply 413
grabattack
Is it necessary to buy tickets for events before arriving ??? Can you buy then there (around the 26th, 27th) ???
At the moment I'm not sure which events i would want to attend, but if i don't buy tickets when they come out (monday) will i be left alone with nothing to do during freshers ? etc...
Will i be seen as an outcast if i don't attend every event etc...
:/

From what I've read on the SUSU website, it's just cheaper to buy them online and in advance.. I think I remember seeing that one event was £2 online, and then £3 on the door.
I only went to about half of the events during Freshers week.

If you go to the Oceana one though, make sure you go early/get a taxi in advance. The Unilink bus will not be able to deal with the massive amount of people going from Halls!
Reply 415
Just a bit of a problem, and I don't know if I'm just being retarded or something. But anyway, I accepted my accommodation offer but can't remember whether I've put in the correct direct debit information (I have two). I have logged on to the online accommodation thing and it shows everything apart from the direct debit information!? Am I missing something?
Reply 416
Deshi
Just a bit of a problem, and I don't know if I'm just being retarded or something. But anyway, I accepted my accommodation offer but can't remember whether I've put in the correct direct debit information (I have two). I have logged on to the online accommodation thing and it shows everything apart from the direct debit information!? Am I missing something?

Yeah, they don't show your direct debit information online, nor allow you to modify your direct debit details. I recently changed banks and had to request a special form and post it to them to change my direct debit details.
Reply 417
Has anyone done any research into insurance? The University's underwriters do not cover theft/fire/damage whatever of any personal possessions in the university halls. That gives three options: don't get insurance (risky), scrounge off parent's house plan (if their plan supports it) or else get private insurance.

My parents don't want me to lumber all my risk onto their plan (hah!), so it looks like I'll have to get some private cover. I'm currently looking at Ensleigh - the current price for me is £137 (gulp). This is quite high but it covers accidental loss/damage anywhere in the UK for my macbook pro and iphone. A lot of other insurers will not cover mobiles, particularly smart phones like the iphone.

Considering my needs is £137 reasonable? Anyone in a similar situation?
Reply 418
Alastor
Has anyone done any research into insurance? The University's underwriters do not cover theft/fire/damage whatever of any personal possessions in the university halls. That gives three options: don't get insurance (risky), scrounge off parent's house plan (if their plan supports it) or else get private insurance.

My parents don't want me to lumber all my risk onto their plan (hah!), so it looks like I'll have to get some private cover. I'm currently looking at Ensleigh - the current price for me is £137 (gulp). This is quite high but it covers accidental loss/damage anywhere in the UK for my macbook pro and iphone. A lot of other insurers will not cover mobiles, particularly smart phones like the iphone.

Considering my needs is £137 reasonable? Anyone in a similar situation?

Literally no one I knew at university bothered taking out insurance. It's expensive, and unless you're stupid, you won't need it. One person I knew had his iPod stolen a few times, but he would often just leave his room unlocked or his possessions laying about in the midst of a busy flat/house party. The reality is, it's not a clever thing to do, and so you should expect your things to go missing if you do that.

If you have your wits about you, don't leave your room unlocked, and know where your possessions are at all times, you'll be fine.
Reply 419
Alastor
Yeah, they don't show your direct debit information online, nor allow you to modify your direct debit details. I recently changed banks and had to request a special form and post it to them to change my direct debit details.

Cheers for the reply but I phoned up and they told me to not worry as you get a chance to change it when you get to the university as the first payment comes out like mid October :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending