The Student Room Group

Too early to propose?

Anon for obvious reasons...

Me and my girlfriend have been together over 2 years now, and I'm starting to think about if it might be time to pop the question. We've both talked about this sort of thing, and it really seems like we have a good future together.

We're both at uni, and only see each other about 4/5 times during each term, and holidays back home too. We're also both 19, and we probably wouldn't get married until we're out of uni, 3 or 4 years away. I wonder if it's too early? A few people we know with slightly shorter relationships have got engaged too, and we're always seen as "The Couple".

I hadn't been with anyone else properly before, and at times I think I'll miss out on that, but I guess it's a small price to pay for a relationship like this :smile:

Any thoughts? Thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What's the rush? If you're not going to get married for 3 to 4 years, what's the point in being engaged now? :s-smilie: 2 years is really hardly anything when you're still a teenager.
i dunno maybe it is a little to early..wait a bit..especially after uni and see what happens
My friends have just got married at 19, if its right, I don't think you can be too young... but you only see each other 4 or 5 times a term.... did you see a lot of each other before uni??
Pink Bullets
What's the rush? If you're not going to get married for 3 to 4 years, what's the point in being engaged now? :s-smilie: 2 years is really hardly anything when you're still a teenager.

This.

The way I see it, engagement is a time in which to plan the wedding tbh, so what's the point in being engaged for ages? :s-smilie:
If you think it's the right time, then it's not too early. It's not really for us to say :h:
Reply 6
I agree, why do you need to propose now if you cant get married for years? Its unnecessary.
Reply 7
Anonymous
Anon for obvious reasons...

Me and my girlfriend have been together over 2 years now, and I'm starting to think about if it might be time to pop the question. We've both talked about this sort of thing, and it really seems like we have a good future together.

We're both at uni, and only see each other about 4/5 times during each term, and holidays back home too. We're also both 19, and we probably wouldn't get married until we're out of uni, 3 or 4 years away. I wonder if it's too early? A few people we know with slightly shorter relationships have got engaged too, and we're always seen as "The Couple".

I hadn't been with anyone else properly before, and at times I think I'll miss out on that, but I guess it's a small price to pay for a relationship like this :smile:

Any thoughts? Thanks guys :smile:

well i dont think its too soon or anything but i think if you wouldnt get married until after you finished uni i think you should wait to get engaged. It might just be me but i would never want to have a really long engagement. i think it could be a little disheartening. you want your engagement to be really exciting planning the wedding etc, and you cannot keep this up for 3 - 4 years.

This is just me though, but it might be a bit of a female thing :smile: i obviously dont know your girlfriend but if it was me i would prefer to hold off getting engaged until the wedding was a little more iminent than 4 years off :smile:
Reply 8
depends how you view engagement, some people, as said above, view it as a time to plan the wedding, others, myself included, see it as the next stage in a relationship when you're showing you're both serious and do want to be married eventually.

Me and my boyfriend are both at uni, been together 4 years and aren't engaged, we've spoke about getting married though but no engagement or anything until after uni.
My parents were engaged for about 14 years lol.

There's no rush!
If you're asking on an internet forum; don't do it, for the love of God.
Enagagements can last ages, years, months there's no restriction on it and traditionally people used to be engaged for years before they got married. Go for it.
Propose and get married after uni. she will feel so special and loved and want to commit to you. If you dont do it now and you just leave it then anything can happen in 2 years. I think propse now, marry in a few years. :smile: Good luck with your decision.
If you're dead certain your relationship can last for a lifetime then I don't see the problem with waiting another few years before popping the question :h:
Reply 14
get her a promise ring or something...it's like being engaged to be engaged
Reply 15
sofee
get her a promise ring or something...it's like being engaged to be engaged

^ that's quite a nice idea :smile:

OP tbh it depends on how you look at engagement. if you see it as just a time to plan a wedding, now is too early, if you see it as you and your gf making it clear to the world that you are commited to each other, then now isn't too early.

I don't think there is anythign wrong with having a long engagement, my brother and his wife were engaged for 6 years, simply because they wanted to get married and show they were commited, but couldn't afford the actual wedding.

it's really just about what you think is right :smile: good luck either way
Reply 16
Afrotortina
My friends have just got married at 19, if its right, I don't think you can be too young... but you only see each other 4 or 5 times a term.... did you see a lot of each other before uni??

Yep we pretty much lived round each others' houses, and she did her first year whilst i stayed at home, and that working helped me think this could really go the distance.

Cheers guys for what you've said :smile:
I know you probably don't want to think like this, but if you were to break up before the end of uni, the presence of an engagement ring would probably make the the whole thing a lot more painful for you both!
Reply 18
arent you scared of missing out on life? meeting other people? youre 19 years old! There is so much you wont experience if you marry this young! x
Reply 19
Really really too young, too soon!! I had what i thought was THE perfect relationship, was with my boyfriend for 6 years and thought we would get married after uni, we had even lived together for 3 years.

He ended it with me.

Do not rush into this, if she is the one for you she will still be the one for you in 3/4 years time.

Also i know a few people who were engaged young and now split up, one couple are 22 are divorced!!

If it is meant to be she will say yes AFTER uni, seriously WHERE is the rush? It is not a big gesture, it is stupid and way too prmature. If you are in love what's the point in rushing this?

Latest

Trending

Trending