The Student Room Group

drugs and my sister

I'm not really sure what to do about this, it's really concerning me. I've known for years that my sister does drugs, I thought it was just weed, then found out it was harder drugs too. She told me a couple of weeks about this drug she was taking and I did a bit of googling and found that even though it's legal (though illegal in a lot of countries) people have died from taking it. Of course this has made me very worried. About 5 years ago my best friend was murdered, I haven't really got over it, I cry everytime I think about him or see pictures of him or anything, I even partly blame myself for not calling him that night because things could have been so different. But now I'm worried I might lose my sister too and it would crush me. I love her of course, she made my childhood bareable, and I know it's her life she can do what she wants but I don't want to lose her or for her to get ill from all the drugs. I'm not sure what I should do.
Reply 1
Buy her a lovely handbag (to soften her up) and sit her down with a nice cup of tea and a Jaffa cake. Just tell her how you feel and explain how much you love her, and to stop this drugs piffle.
Reply 2
Anonymous
I'm not really sure what to do about this, it's really concerning me. I've known for years that my sister does drugs, I thought it was just weed, then found out it was harder drugs too. She told me a couple of weeks about this drug she was taking and I did a bit of googling and found that even though it's legal (though illegal in a lot of countries) people have died from taking it. Of course this has made me very worried. About 5 years ago my best friend was murdered, I haven't really got over it, I cry everytime I think about him or see pictures of him or anything, I even partly blame myself for not calling him that night because things could have been so different. But now I'm worried I might lose my sister too and it would crush me. I love her of course, she made my childhood bareable, and I know it's her life she can do what she wants but I don't want to lose her or for her to get ill from all the drugs. I'm not sure what I should do.

Let her make her own mistakes? There is a lot of misinformation and stigma surrounding drug use, when most drugs are less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. If you're concerned, then let her know that you are worried about her because you are her brother and it's your place to be concerned, but I certainly wouldn't lecture them or tell them to stop.

EDIT: as above a cup of tea and a jaffa cake would help too. Great suggestion!
Reply 3
.. when I read the title I planned on barging in and leaving a "I did them both" post, but when I read the OP I changed my mind. :frown:

Sorry to hear that, man. I hope it'll work out alright for you.
Reply 4
Your friend was murdered over drugs?
Reply 5
LulaMinnick
Buy her a lovely handbag (to soften her up) and sit her down with a nice cup of tea and a Jaffa cake. Just tell her how you feel and explain how much you love her, and to stop this drugs piffle.

We live on opposite sides of the country, I only really talk to her via facebook, very occasionally we'll meet up (like the other week but when she told me about this new drug I knew nothing about it so I just assumed it was as safe as weed).

Volta82
I assume you're talking about mephedrone. It is a very, very dangerous drug. It has structural similarities to other substances which cause cardiac fibrosis, as it is a 5HT2B agonist. It is highly likely that if it is used excessively, it will cause serious heart problems in quite few users. Due to the extremely moreish nature of it, it is likely that large quantities will be used. I know people taking multiple grams in an evening. You need to make her aware of the dangers in a calm, and non patronising way. I would concentrate on emphasising these dangers, as it is a very nasty drug indeed.

Yeah mephedrone. "plant food".

Anoneemous
Your friend was murdered over drugs?

no.

Carl
Let her make her own mistakes? There is a lot of misinformation and stigma surrounding drug use, when most drugs are less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. If you're concerned, then let her know that you are worried about her because you are her brother and it's your place to be concerned, but I certainly wouldn't lecture them or tell them to stop.

EDIT: as above a cup of tea and a jaffa cake would help too. Great suggestion!

That's the problem. I didn't want to lecture and like I said in the OP, it is her choice, I'm also well aware a lot of drugs are less harmful than alcohol and tobacco (which she does a lot of too). I don't want her to think 'I'm overreacting or being stupid and I don't want to lose my place as someone who she can trust but then again I don't want something to happen either.

There's also the fact, I know from my dad, that she saw a psychiatrist when she was about 15. Given what I've read about these drugs they can often be more harmful to people who are already as risk which makes me worry even more.
Honestly I think you just have to let her go through her phase. A good majority of my uni friends take mephedrone, MDMA and ket and there's only so much I can do...they don't give me a hard time about not taking it so I try to not give them a hard time about doing it. My sister went through a phase of doing pills when she was younger for about two years, these days she's the complete opposite - she's a teacher and is so anti-drugs it's ridiculous. I know how you mean though, when I found out my (very naive) best friend was trying a whole bunch of Class A's I was pretty upset, mainly because she didn't have a clue and neither did the people around her.
Reply 7
Why don't you just tell her what you put in your post? Then at least you'll have put your side of the story and told her of your concerns.

As to your friend, you need help to get over something like this. After 5 years it's not going to go away on its own. I urge you to get counselling, please.

Latest

Trending

Trending