The Student Room Group

That "I'll always be single for the rest of my life" feeling

Does anyone here get this feeling that they will never have a partner for the rest of their life? I am interested how this is overcome.

In my case, I feel exactly this. Perhaps because I have always been single and I am 24 in a few weeks.

It is one thing to want a girlfriend but then another to think you'll always be single. :frown:

Having crushes with girls I might see in the place like once a month (eg a packed bus or walking to work) doesn't really help or give me the chance to change everything. I have decent friendships with some girls at my work but then the conversations are always boring because of lack of common ground (the same profession/job is not a factor that helps), of course amongst guys I have much more in common but a girl's company/listening skills is much better (and I'm a guy so that says a lot - I bet some of the guys who read this will slate me on this thread lol).

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well the only man I had sex with raped me, dumped me and used me. I don't want to be single, but I'm afraid to be in a relationship. I'm 22. Beat that. I wish I had a clean slate so I'd be ignorant and think everyone is sweet and happy :smile:
Reply 2
I want to be single for the rest of my life.

Being in a relationship is over-rated. I like my space, I love my time and I am my energy.
I get this feeling like..atleast once a day, usually during the morning when I wake up alone, and want a cuddle..

then it passes during the day, when i can do all the fab things i couldn't do in a relationship!
Reply 4
I got messed around by a guy recently and the feeling has once again returned...
Reply 5
I have that sometimes, though for entirely different reasons.
I don't care as long as I get to reproduce. <3
I'm subscribing because I've had this feeling for a good few years.
Reply 8
I think I'm heading that way, but it's not going to kill me is it? I just have to get on with life and either go through the long process of adopting or visit a sperm bank.
Often you will find someone when you aren't looking too hard OP.
Awww I totally feel like this at the moment :frown:. One of my housemates is really close to her boyfriend and they're always around the house giggling away to each other and my other housemate just got back with her boyfriend and they're ALWAYS cuddled up on the sofa. I'm the ony single one and it makes me feel really lonely.
I've had that feeling... for a good 21.5 years, couldn't care less tbh. I'm not looking for love, i'm waiting for it to find me.
yeeh lol!! the minute u stop caring someone comes along...
issih

That is actually sooo true :smile:
Yes, but I don't really care anymore.

I just see people falling out of 'love' and getting hurt all around me so I don't see why I should believe that it would be any different for me. Just because I'd like it to be different doesn't mean it will. Plus I always seem to be drawn towards dickheads in my life. I don't want to put myself through heartache, so I've made absolutely no effort to get involved with anybody. My parents' divorce pretty much cemented my mindset on the matter tbh.
Reply 15
Yeah. I'm shy, awkward, and not very pretty. I'm also blunt, opinionated and lazy. I don't really see why anyone would want to go out with me.
It's not just a feeling for some of us, it's a fact of life.
Reply 17
issih

Hmm, not truth in my case I stopped caring about girls like a year ago and nobody came along :biggrin: :p:
But whatever, I am happy the way I am, if I meet somebody, OK, if not I am happy anyway..
Love often brings much more bother and sadness than happiness, so what's the point to chase it?
Reply 18
Always have.... and always will (until I get forced to marry someone by my parents because they don't like me being a loner)

This may partially be caused by the fact that I have always been single... and no one has actually liked me enough to tell me... so I have the feeling that I'll always be so and it's just how my life is supposed to be.

Sounds sad I know... but I thought I'd let my feelings be heard :frown:
Reply 19
Read My Mind
Awww I totally feel like this at the moment :frown:. One of my housemates is really close to her boyfriend and they're always around the house giggling away to each other and my other housemate just got back with her boyfriend and they're ALWAYS cuddled up on the sofa. I'm the ony single one and it makes me feel really lonely.

me too! aaaall my friends have recently got into relationships. feel like such an outsider now, dont get invited to things and they never want to go out to clubs and stuff now they have boyfriends.
currently throwing myself into work, eating chocolate and trying to ignore the loneliness. and of course avoiding couples at all costs lol.

i feel like i never meet anyone that i really connect to physically or personality-wise. its difficult just meeting people, let alone meeting people you are attracted to and have chemistry with.

Latest

Trending

Trending