The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
letsdothetimewarpagain
I do History, eng lit, psychology and maths so virtually the same. I find the workload isn't excessive, I get an essay every few weeks in eng lit and at my school a lot of the work for History outside of school is reading. I'm managing it alright ATM so I think it's doable :biggrin:

Thanks for the info. To be honest, I think I'm leaning towards doing History, Lit., Psychology and AS English Language or something.
Reply 21
Maxine_johson
I wouldnt recommend economics

Thanks!:smile: Yes I think I might not take it after all. Not really my cup of tea.
Reply 22
if your the kind of person who thinks it's okay to apply for sixth form this late then yes, you probably will struggle. As for english lit and sociology they're both around the same workload but english is more respected. though you might have an easier time with sociology because of it's slightly technical nature which i assume must appeal to you more because your taking history and economics.

p.s just read you wanna do law at uni. in that case take out psychology and have maths. and i'd say you have an awesome set right there. also keep english lit and DO NOT change this into english lang (it's not all that bad but english lit will serve you better).
Vampire90210
Did you find Economics very mathematical at A level?:smile:

Nope, hardly at all. Only maths I have to do is very simple.
Vampire90210
2 to 3 essays sounds manageable enough to me. Were there a lot of people in your class who managed A grades?:smile:

Well I am currently doing AS and in the first module no one got an A, 3 of us were predicted an A but we all ended up with Bs. There has been predicted 3As and 4Bs for the June exam, we are only 7 in the class.
Reply 25
Vampire90210
:smile:

Thanks! Do you think AS English Language or Thinking Skills will be good?:smile:

I'd say steer clear of thinking skills, never heard of it and it really doesn't sound particularly great :s:

English language is much less respected than English lit. so it depends on your combination...personally I think English Lit. & History are your essential ones but as an AS accompanying a strong combination at A2 level it would be ok, For example A2's in English Lit, History & Psychology + AS English Language would probably be ok but....

As others have said a lot of the time Economics &/or Maths are taken by prospective Law students, and it might be something to consider instead of Psychology at A2 or English Language at AS in the scenario I set out...but depends how mathematically minded you are, and whether you decide you want to do economics...a strong alternative that might work for you is:

A2 English Lit, History & Economics + AS Psychology
A2 English Lit, History & Economics + AS English Language

For example if you took the first of those options you could do English Lit, History, Economics & Psychology at AS in year 12 & if you found that you were struggling with Economics you could always choose to continue Psychology to AS instead leaving you with:

A2 English Lit, History & Psychology + AS Economics
Vampire90210
Do you mind my asking what the others were?:smile:

My AS Levels were:

English Literature (obviously :love:)
Philosophy and Ethics
Drama and Theatre Studies
French
Russian
General Studies

I got 5 As and a B, so I didn't do too badly with all of that either. :wink:
Reply 27
MarinaM
My AS Levels were:

English Literature (obviously :love:)
Philosophy and Ethics
Drama and Theatre Studies
French
Russian
General Studies

I got 5 As and a B, so I didn't do too badly with all of that either. :wink:

I feel the same way about Literature.:yes: . Thanks again!:biggrin:
Reply 28
I like history
Reply 29
sara.wang
I like history

Have you found it difficult? Like in terms of essays and managing your other subjects? Any one in your class getting A's?
Both Psychology and English Literature are fine on the workload front. Psychology is just about memorizing large amounts of info and being aware of the essay technique. English lit obviously requires a lot of reading (but if you are considering the subject then you should be the type of person who would find that enjoyable anyway) and again awareness of the assessment objectives and required essay technique. Lit is 50% coursework for me anyway, so it's pretty laid-back.
Reply 31
Antifazian
Both Psychology and English Literature are fine on the workload front. Psychology is just about memorizing large amounts of info and being aware of the essay technique. English lit obviously requires a lot of reading (but if you are considering the subject then you should be the type of person who would find that enjoyable anyway) and again awareness of the assessment objectives and required essay technique. Lit is 50% coursework for me anyway, so it's pretty laid-back.

Thank you for that.:smile:Yes, I do enjoy reading anyway. And do you find Psychology has a lot of maths in it?
They are fine. The workload in any A level is not huge. You are only doing 4 - it will be fine.

Ignore scares stories.
Vampire90210
Thank you for that.:smile:Yes, I do enjoy reading anyway. And do you find Psychology has a lot of maths in it?

Not at all, I suck at maths but I have no problem with the maths in Psychology - It's just stuff like mean, median & mode, Spearman's Rank etc. it's all very basic and i've not yet had to answer any math-related questions in any of the actual exams. :smile:
stick maths in there.
no essays and lower workload than others. :yes:

do not resort to mickey mouse subjects like sociology. theres no point, you may as well just have an extra free unless you are doing it at uni.
Reply 35
Vampire90210

Just a little bit on statistics, such as descriptive stats and statistical tests using rank data or interval/ratio data (independent t test, Spearman's rank, Wilcoxon's rank). It's not overly complicated.

As for your subject choices, they are fine for pursuing a Law degree. I know that you are worried about the workload but if you work hard then there should be no real problems. Out of English Lit and Sociology, I would personally choose the latter as it's more relevant to Law, but tbh it's up to you. If you still can't decide what to choose then I would advise you to talk to a careers counsellor.

Edit: Oh one more thing, Sociology is quite an easy A-level. You will be expected to answer 20 mark questions in AS and 40 marks in A2 so it's an essay-based subject, but if you can memorise the theories and the more important studies then it won't be a problem.
Reply 36
DJ AgnieszkaA
stick maths in there.
no essays and lower workload than others. :yes:

do not resort to mickey mouse subjects like sociology. theres no point, you may as well just have an extra free unless you are doing it at uni.

I would have taken maths, it's very useful, but I'm horrendous at it. And yes I think I'll choose Literature instead of Sociology. It's much more respected I've heard.
Reply 37
bruce_t89
Just a little bit on statistics, such as descriptive stats and statistical tests using rank data or interval/ratio data (independent t test, Spearman's rank, Wilcoxon's rank). It's not overly complicated.

As for your subject choices, they are fine for pursuing a Law degree. I know that you are worried about the workload but if you work hard then there should be no real problems. Out of English Lit and Sociology, I would personally choose the latter as it's more relevant to Law, but tbh it's up to you. If you still can't decide what to choose then I would advise you to talk to a careers counsellor.

Edit: Oh one more thing, Sociology is quite an easy A-level. You will be expected to answer 20 mark questions in AS and 40 marks in A2 so it's an essay-based subject, but if you can memorise the theories and the more important studies then it won't be a problem.

Thank you so much!:biggrin: But I think on the Lit. vs. Sociology front I'm leaning more towards Lit. now.
Your choices sound good. :wink: History's hardest, but you sound amazing at it, and English literature shouldn't be bad since you seem good at both it and history. Just try, you can always drop one. :smile:
Reply 39
paddy__power
They are fine. The workload in any A level is not huge. You are only doing 4 - it will be fine.

Ignore scares stories.

Thank you so much.:smile: But I am also doing AS General Studies. It's compulsory unfortunately.:frown:

Latest