The Student Room Group

Queens University Medicine applicants 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by miklc
Are you a school leaver/ gap year? Go to elms, you'll have a blast. I might just move in with some randoms, as close to the MBC as possible.

What does MBC stand for? :smile:

Won't everyone be moving in with randomers though?
Original post by emzaz
What does MBC stand for? :smile:

Won't everyone be moving in with randomers though?

Medical Biology Centre. It's on the Lisburn Road in Belfast (for reference). Just FYI, Elms is literally AS FAR AWAY FROM THE MBC AS IS POSSIBLE IN UNI HALLS.....to my knowledge anyway.
Reply 182
Original post by ringham33170
Medical Biology Centre. It's on the Lisburn Road in Belfast (for reference). Just FYI, Elms is literally AS FAR AWAY FROM THE MBC AS IS POSSIBLE IN UNI HALLS.....to my knowledge anyway.

Really? Arrgh >_< I didn't know that! Is it literally an hours walk or something or is it maybe 20minutes or something? Also, is there any halls you can go to that are closer that would still have school leaver type age in? I though Elms was the only option.
Original post by emzaz
Really? Arrgh >_< I didn't know that! Is it literally an hours walk or something or is it maybe 20minutes or something? Also, is there any halls you can go to that are closer that would still have school leaver type age in? I though Elms was the only option.

Its probably......25/30minutes away. Erm, Guthrie house is right smack in the middle of campus. Less high-end than Elms, but certainly closer (5-10 to MBC depending on walking speed, 2 mins to SU). Also, Elms has rather strict rules regarding visitors. I think you have a set amount of 'visitor overnights' allowed, and have to give them notice of the stay also.

This is info from other people I know, I haven't personally stayed in Elms
Reply 184
Its probably......25/30minutes away. Erm, Guthrie house is right smack in the middle of campus. Less high-end than Elms, but certainly closer (5-10 to MBC depending on walking speed, 2 mins to SU). Also, Elms has rather strict rules regarding visitors. I think you have a set amount of 'visitor overnights' allowed, and have to give them notice of the stay also.

That's interesting info - quite useful! I'll have to have a look into it. 25mins isn't too bad but I'd rather be closer if possible. Thanks! ^_^

Nope im in my 2nd year but leaving to come do medicine. What about college halls? The big houses of 10?thanks
Original post by emzaz
That's interesting info - quite useful! I'll have to have a look into it. 25mins isn't too bad but I'd rather be closer if possible. Thanks! ^_^

No problem. Although I don't know where you're from, but 25mins in baltic N.I. wind can be torture :P
I'm a first yr medic living in Elms. The MBC is only 20mins walk away max-15mins if ur in a hurry. They do have some rules but theyr not too bad, like for guests, you just go and give the guests details before 7pm, then when they arrive they sign a sheet and thats all ya need to do. You are usually allowed 3 guests a month. Definitely go to Elms! The accommodation is a great standard, you will meet loads more people (not to mention the vast majority of school leavers in your year will no doubt live there)....my only problem is that the nearest off license is 15mins away-but its on the way to class so I can adapt! :-D
I was at Queens last year and I lived in Elms. The walk is not that bad, and most first years will live there so you won't be walking alone.

I'm going back to Queens to start medicine and personally I won't live in elms again, but I will be 23 so I think I will probably go for living with some older students. Besides that I am way excited to start medicine! Anyone else dying that we have to wait 7 months?
Reply 189
No problem. Although I don't know where you're from, but 25mins in baltic N.I. wind can be torture :P

I live in newcastle so pretty much the same weather wise I think hahah! We get way more snow though ^_^ (I like snow) I go to NI at least twice a year though because my mum's from there so I go to see all my family. I've not been to Belfast properly though - I've probably been when I was younger but I can't remember. >_<

That sounds about the distance I walk to school so I reckon I should be alright in that case - also if most other people will live there then I think I'd rather live there too.
Original post by emzaz
I live in newcastle so pretty much the same weather wise I think hahah! We get way more snow though ^_^ (I like snow) I go to NI at least twice a year though because my mum's from there so I go to see all my family. I've not been to Belfast properly though - I've probably been when I was younger but I can't remember. >_<

That sounds about the distance I walk to school so I reckon I should be alright in that case - also if most other people will live there then I think I'd rather live there too.

Cool Cool. I live at home currently, in Bangor, a town not far from Belfast (30/35min train journey) and will do for first year, and then am moving out. So though I wont be in accommo or halls, I'm sure I'll see you around at freshers and what not, whilst wading through the 300some new medics and dentists :P
Reply 191
Cool Cool. I live at home currently, in Bangor, a town not far from Belfast (30/35min train journey) and will do for first year, and then am moving out. So though I wont be in accommo or halls, I'm sure I'll see you around at freshers and what not, whilst wading through the 300some new medics and dentists :P

Hopefully! ^_^ So long as I work hard. I'm just waiting to hear back from Aberdeen and then I can firm Queen's! :biggrin:
Reply 192
Original post by The International
I was at Queens last year and I lived in Elms. The walk is not that bad, and most first years will live there so you won't be walking alone.

I'm going back to Queens to start medicine and personally I won't live in elms again, but I will be 23 so I think I will probably go for living with some older students. Besides that I am way excited to start medicine! Anyone else dying that we have to wait 7 months?

Hello, you're in the same boat as me, except I'm not international. Are you currently in Belfast? Where abouts in the US are you from?
Original post by emzaz

OMG im from Newcastle too!!! Have you firmed queens? Where abouts in Newcastle are you from? Xx
Original post by miklc
Hello, you're in the same boat as me, except I'm not international. Are you currently in Belfast? Where abouts in the US are you from?

I'm not in Belfast yet, but I wish I was. I'm from Montana, so pretty much the middle of nowhere. Are you a graduate then?
I'm not in Belfast yet, but I wish I was. I'm from Montana, so pretty much the middle of nowhere. Are you a graduate then?

Montana! wow thats far away, can I be nosey and ask what made you choose Belfast?
Original post by phill232
Montana! wow thats far away, can I be nosey and ask what made you choose Belfast?

Nosy is fine. During my undergrad i really wanted to do a study abroad and I got into a program to go to Queens for free so I took it. I loved it so much that I extended my stay from one semester to the whole year. Then I really wanted to go back and as it turns out the medicine program there is very good for me.
Nosy is fine. During my undergrad i really wanted to do a study abroad and I got into a program to go to Queens for free so I took it. I loved it so much that I extended my stay from one semester to the whole year. Then I really wanted to go back and as it turns out the medicine program there is very good for me.

That's great, I hope there are lots of interesting internationals. Why is the med course good for you? Im not sure I'd want to study medicine in the US system, I'm already too impatient to get started and the thought of having to study for an undergrad first just seems like it would take forever.
Reply 198

Yep I am. What did you study before? It's weird how many international people absolutely love Belfast, while most of the locals hate it, haha.
Original post by phill232
That's great, I hope there are lots of interesting internationals. Why is the med course good for you? Im not sure I'd want to study medicine in the US system, I'm already too impatient to get started and the thought of having to study for an undergrad first just seems like it would take forever.

Well its good for me because in the US system I wouldn't be able to start med school until 2013 at the earliest. I have a BS already, but I don't have all the premed courses you need to get in, so I would have to get them all done before applying. (I decided a little late that medicine was for me.) Plus I really like the way clinical is integrated with lecture at Queens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending