The Student Room Group

MSc Finance: Cass vs SSE

Hi there,

and sorry for yet another tread on what school to choose. I've been admitted to the MSc Finance programs at Cass and SSE, and now I would appreciate your input. I've done some research on both unis and their postgrad MSc Finance programs. This is what I've come up with:

SSE:
+ Free of charge
+ Good (great?) rep in IB and solid placements in Sweden and also in London
+ Somewhat wider program, does not limit one to banking
+ Unis rep is overall better than Cass'
+/- Two years, with the possibility of another internship and another exchange, but what grinds my gears is to have to write another thesis
Cass:
+ Location (London feels more appealing than Stockholm - yes, I am Swedish)
+ The practical approach of the program attracts me, I do not mind being niched
+ Language skills
+ One year
+ Supposedly great Careers Centre and links to the IB scene in London (strong alumni network)
+/- Good rep in London, but relatively unknown outside (hardly known of at all in Sweden from what I have heard)
-20.5K and living costs for the one year in London will easily outweigh the two years of living costs in Stockholm

I want to work in IB, preferably in London, second choice Stockholm (or the Nordic region). Accommodation will not be a problem in Stockholm.

I have up until monday (Cass deposit due) to decide so fire away :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am sorry but I wont be able to comment on SSE, as most of us TSR member only have thorough knowledge of UK Universities.

What I could surely say about Cass is that its a brilliant University, one of the top universities for Finance and you wont be disappointed.
Reply 2
cass has a good program, but SSE is right on par as well. I think it's a matter of fit, location and money. In your case, SSE seems like a more convenient and safer choice given you're from there and that the program is absolutely free. But Cass is also a great option. But quite an expensive one.
Reply 3
Thanks for the input. As someone mentioned in another thread, the opportunity cost (lost wages) of the second year at SSE compensates for the tuition fee at Cass.

What would you guys say about the different and deviating views people seem to have on Cass?

This is really quite a dilemma. The curriculum at Cass feels more appealing to me, but I am somewhat unsure about whether I will be able to land a good job in London after my degree. If I was to choose SSE I would definitely be able to get a good job in Sweden.

My professional experience from banking consists of one employer (a Swedish bank) where I have been working myself up over the last three years (part time, summer internships). I began in cash desk/customer service and now, after couple of financial certifications and a lot of backbreaking, work in asset management. I don't know how much this is worth in the London market, but I fear the competition to be very high. I might not get anywhere.

SSE is indeed the safer option. Their placement report for 2009 shows that 94% of the students are employed within 3 months after graduation. Cass doesn't seem to have a placement report, but I find it hard to imagine a good finance degree from the UK would be a disadvantage in Sweden, even if the university itself is not very well known. Hard to say which option adds more value.
Reply 4
Hi Cheval,

Just as a quick aside, apologies for deviating from the topic slightly, but how reputable exactly is SSE in Sweden, is it considered a v.elite school (perhaps comparable to what the LSE is in the UK?). Many thanks!
Reply 5
unilever03
Hi Cheval,

Just as a quick aside, apologies for deviating from the topic slightly, but how reputable exactly is SSE in Sweden, is it considered a v.elite school (perhaps comparable to what the LSE is in the UK?). Many thanks!

SSE is extremely reputable in Sweden, way ahead of all competition when it comes to business, economics and management. I would say it is also the only Swedish business school that is reputable abroad. To get into the undergrad program at SSE you need top grades in all courses with no exceptions.
Reply 6
I would advice you to choose SSE, if you would like to work in Sweden at the end of the day.
You might want t consider CASS if your planning to work abroad.
I'm breaking my head over LSE MSc Finance vs. SSE MSc Finance. Heck, Cass vs. SSE is a no-brainer: SSE.
Reply 8
BuffettIsRight
I'm breaking my head over LSE MSc Finance vs. SSE MSc Finance. Heck, Cass vs. SSE is a no-brainer: SSE.

A no-brainer you say? Even if I want to work in London after graduation?
Reply 9
SSE. I've noticed a significant amount of SSE students at Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs.
ChevalBlanc

Think about it, if you go to Cass, you are always second-rate to Oxbridge/LSE for London jobs. SSE is a target school with good representation in London IB.
LSE hands down. Nothing else comes close, except LBS.
Hi All!

How would you rate/rank the following programmes?

City University - Cass Business School - Msc in Finance (I have got an uncond offer)
University of Bristol - Msc Finance and Investment (waiting for reply)
University of Bath - Msc Accounting and Finance (waiting for reply)
Nottingham University Business School - Msc Finance and Investment (waiting for reply)

Does Cass worth the extra 10,000? Does the programme of Bristol have the same reputation as the uni does?

I already examined the rankings, I am asking for additional infos, preferably based on personal experiences. Please provide information about the job prospects and quality of teaching in these institutions.

Thanks for the comments in advance, I would appreciate any of them.
Cass in Finance courses is second only to LSE. Its worth the money considering the ROI. - Based on my research and my friends who were at CASS...
Reply 14
Well guys, I made my choice yesterday and it fell on SSE. Maybe I'll see couple of you there in September. Thanks for sharing your opinions!
Good, I might be there as well. You gotta give me tips on how to hook up with Swedish girls. :lol:
ChevalBlanc

Don't listen to"BuffetIsRight", he just did not get into Cass and is upset about it. If you want to work in London Cass is a great option.
Yeah, I didn't get into Cass, because I never applied. I don't apply to 2nd tier schools. I got into LSE MSc Finance which has a 3% admission rate and I'm still choosing between LSE and SSE. Cass is a joke.
BuffettIsRight
Yeah, I didn't get into Cass, because I never applied. I don't apply to 2nd tier schools. I got into LSE MSc Finance which has a 3% admission rate and I'm still choosing between LSE and SSE. Cass is a joke.

Hahah sure you did, the same way you studied at Princeton, right? (in case you wonder why I suggest this, double check your public profile :wink: )

And the worst of all is that if it is indeed true you got into LSE, then good luck because you just started off by creating negative harm on the school's brand. I really would not want to be in the same classroom with anyone having your level of maturity :smile: The only "joke" around is you mate. Success with your studies at LSE! :smile:
Reply 19
maybe you both should postpone your offers until you are mature enough to do a MSc....

Latest

Trending

Trending