The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AdamAbdelAziz
Just wondering about what people thought about the programme that was just aired on BBC2 following black undergraduates around Cambridge.

Its absoloutely shocking that out of 12 000 undergraduates only 84 are black. unbelievable!!

What does everyone think???

oh my god! Thats really bad. It must be because they get less black applicants though because otherwise Cambridge would be destroyed by the media. Although I dont know why they'd get less black applicants.
Reply 2
NB I haven't seen the program because I'm back in cam and I don't have a TV...

I think it is very shocking, off the top of my head I can only name five who I'd regard as black/brown (although I'm not sure where the program drew the distinction), four in my year and one from my school. I can only suppose that this is because there aren't the applicants, which is probably due to the enormous failings of the school systems.

The figures for black academics would probably be even worse :frown:

Clare has a scheme where we send students to Tower Hamlets to talk to kids and then they also come up and take a look around, some of them are pretty young - they seem to take them from the entire age range of secondary school. Whilst I think this is a very good idea, I can't help but be pessimistic and suggest that if they did decide they wanted to come here their schooling may well fail them. One way or another this problem needs to be rectified as soon as possible.

Alaric.
Reply 3
i missed this programme, really wanted to see it. yes it is a horrible situation but im not surprised
Reply 4
Tina
i missed this programme, really wanted to see it. yes it is a horrible situation but im not surprised

Why are you not suprised?
Reply 5
Goat
Why are you not suprised?

i kinda expected someting along those lines...well its a fact that institutional racism still exists in many places, im not saying cambridge is racist but i do think that there may still be problems. besides many people especially ethnic minorities may get put off applying to oxbridge because of stereotypes about the places.
Tina
i kinda expected someting along those lines...well its a fact that institutional racism still exists in many places, im not saying cambridge is racist but i do think that there may still be problems. besides many people especially ethnic minorities may get put off applying to oxbridge because of stereotypes about the places.

Well I am nearly every minority group under-represented at Cam and I applied :smile:

I really wish I had seen the program :frown: :frown: :frown: does anyone think it will repeat?
Reply 7
Mentally Ill
Well I am nearly every minority group under-represented at Cam and I applied :smile:

I really wish I had seen the program :frown: :frown: :frown: does anyone think it will repeat?

maybe on BBC3?
Reply 8
I didn't see it, but that's awful. Given the amount of access schemes Cambridge has surely it has to be something to do with there being less ethnic minority applicants than racism?
Reply 9
Mentally Ill

It's a 4 part series, so there's 3 more episodes. Sometimes that type of show gets repeated for deaf people in the early hours of the morning.
Reply 10
Lurker
I didn't see it, but that's awful. Given the amount of access schemes Cambridge has surely it has to be something to do with there being less ethnic minority applicants than racism?

but it might be that some applicants feel they will be discriminated against because of their race... i know many people who still think of cambridge as being all white, male, m/c dominatec institution
Tina
but it might be that some applicants feel they will be discriminated against because of their race... i know many people who still think of cambridge as being all white, male, m/c dominatec institution

Yes, you are quite right, many many many people still think of cam like that, not only minorties - even majorities. Working class still think of it like that.

Also, the media perpetuates this image. For example, Love Actually: The two male leads (who satisfy the stereotype) were friends from Cam!

This stereptype has been around for years and it will take equally as long to shed it! So I think the access schemes are doing quite well. Give GEEMA another 50 years, and i think there will be many many more black students.
For what I've seen Oxford is exactly the same. While walking round you see many Asian students but very few black students.
Reply 13
earthmother
For what I've seen Oxford is exactly the same. While walking round you see many Asian students but very few black students.

ye but its good to see there are more initiatives like GEEMA
I believe that academic underachievement/lack of ambition amongst some black people, especially black males, is a well-known concern though? Not just at uni (and Cambridge at that) level, but throughout the academic spectrum.
Reply 15
Alexander
I believe that academic underachievement/lack of ambition amongst some black people, especially black males, is a well-known concern though? Not just at uni (and Cambridge at that) level, but throughout the academic spectrum.

ye thats true...so there would be less applicants because few reach the grades.
earthmother

I think the fact that you see so many more asian students around oxbridge than black is cultural.

(IMO) South asian people place much importance on education and career success. Caribbean culture places less importance on education and career success. I hope I have not been contraversial, but I can speak for these two cultures as they form my ethnic background. I have no idea about african culture.
I agree with Tina--already access to postsecondary institutions is a privilege and for marginalized groups (ie. ethno-racial minorities, people with disabilities) it's even more difficult. I wonder what the stats are for other historically marginalized groups such as gays/lesbians. I also find that in the UK, the major emphasis is placed on overcoming systemic barriers related to class, however, other identities/characteristics of groups are just as important and often exisit in relation to class. Just a thought.

Mentally Ill

Reply 18
Mentally Ill
I think the fact that you see so many more asian students around oxbridge than black is cultural.

(IMO) South asian people place much importance on education and career success. Caribbean culture places less importance on education and career success. I hope I have not been contraversial, but I can speak for these two cultures as they form my ethnic background. I have no idea about african culture.

ye i think its a combination of things culture/home background is v important but also teachers attitudes/racism can play a part...if a teacher doesnt expect a black student to do well this can affect their education...like a self fulfilling prophecy
Tina
ye i think its a combination of things culture/home background is v important but also teachers attitudes/racism can play a part...if a teacher doesnt expect a black student to do well this can affect their education...like a self fulfilling prophecy

I see what you are saying but i do not feel many teachers have such expectations....this point is played out too much as far as i am concerned. Yes some teachers will think in this way, but i think the majority will be fully aware that "level of ambition/achievement" is not determined by a biological factor (as in skin colour).

Latest

Trending

Trending