The Student Room Group

Anyone Got In Predicted AAB?

Just wanted to know if people know anyone who got into Cambridge predicted AAB? I'm applying for PPS at Fitzwilliam College.

Basically I got over 90% in one of my ASs and 89% in another. This leaves me with a good chance of getting atleast one A* if not two. But my college are pretty stubborn and are refusing to predict anyone A*s. Luckily the college I want to apply to said that it doesn't matter and they'll know if I can get an A* from my SAQ.

The predicted B is unexpected. Was predicted an A for AS. Got a C. Exam got sent back. Teacher thought it should be a high B so am now waiting for the remark to come back (it's all been explained on my reference). My teacher still thinks I can get an A but feels predicting me one at this point would be risky.

I think I can get grades for the standard A*AA offer even if I'm not predicted it. I am also a CSAS applicant.

Just wanted to know if people knew anyone who actually got in with these predictions.

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
safwaansh
Just wanted to know if people know anyone who got into Cambridge predicted AAB? I'm applying for PPS at Fitzwilliam College.

Basically I got over 90% in one of my ASs and 89% in another. This leaves me with a good chance of getting atleast one A* if not two. But my college are pretty stubborn and are refusing to predict anyone A*s. Luckily the college I want to apply to said that it doesn't matter and they'll know if I can get an A* from my SAQ.

The predicted B is unexpected. Was predicted an A for AS. Got a C. Exam got sent back. Teacher thought it should be a high B so am now waiting for the remark to come back (it's all been explained on my reference). My teacher still thinks I can get an A but feels predicting me one at this point would be risky.

I think I can get grades for the standard A*AA offer even if I'm not predicted it. I am also a CSAS applicant.

Just wanted to know if people knew anyone who actually got in with these predictions.

Thanks.

Hi can you be more specific. What subjects did you take, which grades went for which subjects etc thanks.
Reply 2
QuantumOverlord
Hi can you be more specific. What subjects did you take, which grades went for which subjects etc thanks.

Psychology - 179/200 (89%)
Business Studies - 168/200 (84%) Dropped
Ict - 182/200 (92%)
English Lit - 133/200 (66%) Pending Remark

I know Ict isn't one of the preferred subjects but admissions said it wouldn't matter as I got English Lit and Psychology with it.
safwaansh
Psychology - 179/200 (89%)
Business Studies - 168/200 (84%) Dropped
Ict - 182/200 (92%)
English Lit - 133/200 (66%) Pending Remark

I know Ict isn't one of the preferred subjects but admissions said it wouldn't matter as I got English Lit and Psychology with it.

OK the predicted grades don't have as much of an impact as the SAQ, i.e cambridge will make their own predictions. Presuming the remark comes before the SAQ this is how I see things progressing:

It was marked up to an A: In this case being the fault of the marker it should be fine, this will be especially true if it was remarked to a High A 88%>. In this case there shouldnt be a problem regardless your predicted grades.

It was not marked up: If your mark stayed the same at a C I have to say, it doesnt look great for you. However if they still give you an interview you could still get in (most of what they base you on is the interview anyway). Bear in mind this will not stop them from giving you a standard offer, I'd expect an offer of A*AA with the A* in english lit or psycology. But then no one can be sure.
Reply 4
QuantumOverlord
OK the predicted grades don't have as much of an impact as the SAQ, i.e cambridge will make their own predictions. Presuming the remark comes before the SAQ this is how I see things progressing:

It was marked up to an A: In this case being the fault of the marker it should be fine, this will be especially true if it was remarked to a High A 88%>. In this case there shouldnt be a problem regardless your predicted grades.

It was not marked up: If your mark stayed the same at a C I have to say, it doesnt look great for you. However if they still give you an interview you could still get in (most of what they base you on is the interview anyway). Bear in mind this will not stop them from giving you a standard offer, I'd expect an offer of A*AA with the A* in english lit or psycology. But then no one can be sure.

ok thanks. very helpful. just wondering about something else. i asked the college about their gcse requirements and they said most applicants have a set of A*-B. i've got an A*, mostly As and 2Bs and 1C. just thinking whether its worth just leaving the C out. it was in art.
Reply 5
safwaansh
ok thanks. very helpful. just wondering about something else. i asked the college about their gcse requirements and they said most applicants have a set of A*-B. i've got an A*, mostly As and 2Bs and 1C. just thinking whether its worth just leaving the C out. it was in art.

you cant leave anything out
Reply 6
usingtsr
you cant leave anything out

yeah but would they seriously check? i've already got 11 gcses on there.
safwaansh

Yes the above person is right, your not supposed to leave anything out. Whether you do or not is your choice (If you get found out, its Auto rejection I'd expect).

1C will not affect your application, in terms of gcse I imagine theyd just look at A* and As (unless you have alot of Bs and Belows).

The aveage for Cambridge is 5A* + 7As so you might be at a slight disadvantage here but As is more important to them anyway. Here they tend to want around 90%. They interview the vast majority so you have a good chance of getting one. If you do very well at the interview nothing else will matter, but they do look at everything.

Id say in this order this is what they look at

Interview/Admissions tests (if any), assuming you get an interview
Module scores (i.e As levels)
School referance and GCSEs
Predicted Grades
Personal Statement
Reply 8
safwaansh
yeah but would they seriously check? i've already got 11 gcses on there.

The answer is yes. When you get accepted and come up for your first term, you have to bring copies of your GCSE certificates so that you satisfy the matriculation requirements. I don't know whether they check those certificates against your UCAS form but I would definitely not risk it.

Also, I feel I need to clear up some of the crap that has been said on this thread about colleges putting more weight on interviews than anything else. Not true! An admissions tutor told me once that they first rank applicants pre-interview based on how they compare on paper. Then, after interview, the original list remains 80% in tact. More often than not, the interview confirms what they already know.

The point I'm making is, of course, a really great interview can make up for unremarkable grades; but equally, fantastic module marks can make up for a terrible interview. Cambridge look at applications AS A WHOLE and judge an application ON ITS MERITS and not its weaknesses. So please don't listen to people like the person on this thread who say 'most of what they base you on is the interview anyway.' It is just nonsense.
Reply 9
joanfi
The answer is yes. When you get accepted and come up for your first term, you have to bring copies of your GCSE certificates so that you satisfy the matriculation requirements. I don't know whether they check those certificates against your UCAS form but I would definitely not risk it.

Also, I feel I need to clear up some of the crap that has been said on this thread about colleges putting more weight on interviews than anything else. Not true! An admissions tutor told me once that they first rank applicants pre-interview based on how they compare on paper. Then, after interview, the original list remains 80% in tact. More often than not, the interview confirms what they already know.

The point I'm making is, of course, a really great interview can make up for unremarkable grades; but equally, fantastic module marks can make up for a terrible interview. Cambridge look at applications AS A WHOLE and judge an application ON ITS MERITS and not its weaknesses. So please don't listen to people like the person on this thread who say 'most of what they base you on is the interview anyway.' It is just nonsense.

so basically have i got no chance?
Reply 10
safwaansh
so basically have i got no chance?

No you do have a chance. And frankly you will never know unless you apply. I'm trying to say that no single factor - be it interviews, module scores, GCSEs, references - will make or break an application. They would never automatically reject someone because they got a C in one flimsy AS. They don't expect perfection and they don't mind blips as long as you make up for them in other areas. At the end of the day they are looking for reasons to say yes, not no. They are looking for something that says this applicant deserves a place over that applicant. So, if I were you, I would try my damnedest to have fantastic interview, a stellar reference and personal statement, superb submitted essays etc. Then, that one AS score here or GCSE grade there will look like nothing in comparison to the good points in your application.

The great thing about Cambridge is that they spend hours and hours trawling through admissions to make sure that they look at every student very carefully and in their own individual context. You do have a chance.
I think you'll struggle if you are predicted a B at A level. Apart from anything else, if you won't quite make an A in one of your A levels you might struggle at Cambridge anyway.
I do PPS, by the way, so if you have any questions PM. I wouldn't say Psych is a fantastic a level to be doing though, and nor is IT especially. Is psychology your main interest?
Reply 13
OrdinaryDay
I do PPS, by the way, so if you have any questions PM. I wouldn't say Psych is a fantastic a level to be doing though, and nor is IT especially. Is psychology your main interest?

yeah i really enjoy psychology. as you're doing it i wanted to ask are the maths aspects and biology aspects ok to pick up? i haven't done them at a level so slightly concerned.
Reply 14
OrdinaryDay
I think you'll struggle if you are predicted a B at A level. Apart from anything else, if you won't quite make an A in one of your A levels you might struggle at Cambridge anyway.

my college has agreed to predict an A* after a lot of asking. so that puts my prediction as A*AB. hopefully now my remark comes out good which will put me in a better position.

Latest

Trending

Trending