The Working At Asda Thread Watch

thecdon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

I haven't seen an official thread for Asda employee's on here but I've seen threads for M&S, Sainsburys and Waitrose etc, so thought i'd make an Asda thread

I've got a job at my local Asda, got the induction this Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you're an Asda employee or have an Asda interview coming up and want some advice, post in here

thecdon :awesome:

This section will hopefully give you answers to some questions that you may have about either working for Asda or the recruitment process. If you have any more questions then feel free to ask them in the thread and someone will do their best to answer you.

Applying for a job
Spoiler:
Show
How do you apply for jobs at Asda?
All external vacancies are posted on www.asda.jobs - There are no application forms instore

If I know someone who works at Asda, will my chances of being employed increase?
If you have a friend or relative that works at Asda, you may ask them to recommend you. You need to put their name on the online application form when asked.

I've completed an application but I've been unsuccessful, can I apply again?
There is a 6 month application ban should you be unsuccessful at this time. There is nothing that we can do on TSR or instore to reverse this - sorry.

What is the difference between Seasonal and Permanent?
Seasonal workers, although rare, are employed to cover busy periods such as Christmas and Summer. If you are offered one of these contracts then you could well be offered a permanent contract in the future.

What's the pay like?
It's £6.56/hr if you're outside of London - it is higher and differs from store to store inside the London area. This raises to £6.76/hr after 6 months service. It also increments based on additional responsibilities. This will change year on year in line with minimum wage rises, the info here is based on rates set from October 2013.

I'm going to uni shortly, will this affect my chances?

Depending on the stores needs at that time, it may do. They may need someone permanent so you will not be suitable for the role - they may offer to keep your details to be seasonal however. Be up front and clear with them about this.

Interviews
Spoiler:
Show
What is an Asda Magic Event?
An Asda Magic event is an in-store group selection event. It's not necessarily a hardcore interview but you will be observed to see how you interact with people and there will be a one-to-one interview.

What happens at an Asda Magic Event?

We can't answer that on TSR, however Asda have got a page here about what to expect.

What do I wear?
Smart casual, don't go in a full tux but don't go in the last pair of jeans you tossed on the floor. Ask yourself: If someone else was wearing this, would I hire them?

Where do I go?
Go to the Customer Service Desk in the selected store if open. If it's a new store, you will have an email telling you where and when and what to bring.

I've been successful in the magic event and they want me to come in for a chat!
Well done, it's another informal version of the one-to-one interview and they may well offer you a job. They'll let you know after the chat by phone.

They're taking a long time to get back to me, what do I do?

Recruitment is undertaken alongside managerial duties so it can take a while. If they say they'll call back then they will do, if you feel like you need to phone them try and give it a week first. Call them by using the store number > option 2 (Colleague menu) > People Service Manager.

I'm a silver medalist - what now?

You've got a job with your name on it, in the future. They really liked you and you will be a colleague at some point but the roles available weren't suitable for you at this time. You'll receive a phone call in the future offering you a job. NB: You'll be contacted about vacancies that won't exist externally.

How many people get taken on from the Magic event?
A lot of people do get taken on, they tend to take on in big batches - it won't just be one person!

Inductions (The Best Welcome)
Spoiler:
Show
Where do these happen?
If your store is open already then in the training room within the store in the colleague area, you should go to the Customer Service Desk. If a new store then these will happen in a store in the area. An email or phone call will detail where you need to go.

What does it contain?

Legal, Safety & Ethical information as well as an introduction to the company. It gets you into the company culture and prepares you for everything.

What should I wear?
If you've not got uniform already, then you need to wear something smart but comfortable as you'll be on the shop floor but also sat in a room for a few hours - training rooms can get very hot!

When do I start?

You will be told at the Best Welcome by your line manager. They will take any commitments into account.

Asda & University
Spoiler:
Show
I already work at Asda and I'm moving to another city for university, what do I do?
You need to make a decision as to whether you want to work whilst at uni or not.

If you do want to transfer stores then:
1. Contact the other store and ask if there's any available roles and the possibility of working there during term time. If there is, continue to step 2, if not then see 'If you do not want to transfer stores then:'
2. Speak to your line manager about the move and explain there is a role and you'd like to go seasonal in your own store and transfer to your university store
3. Speak to your personnel team to get an internal application form and fill it out, hand it to your line manager and ask them to fax it over
4. A week or two later phone the other store to confirm that they received it and ask for the next steps
5. When it comes to leaving your store for term you need to hand your locker key in and ask personnel to transfer your HR profile to the other store
6. When at your university city/town then go to the store and ask to see your line manager, preferably pre-arrange this, and they'll sort your swipe card and stuff out

7. Start work as normal but in a new store on the new hours

When you transfer back for Christmas and Summer:
1. Ring your line manager 3 weeks before coming back so they can sort hours out for you (they won't be your contracted ones), get a start date
2. Decide when you want to finish at your uni store and tell your line manager
3. On your last shift, hand the keys into personnel and ask to be transferred back to your other store
4. Go back to other store and work as you would before you transferred on your new hours

If you do not want to transfer stores then:

1. Speak to your line manager and ask to go seasonal as you're going away
2. You'll need to write a letter and personnel will process it
3. Your manager will want to know when you'll be back 3 weeks before you start again to put you on the rotas
4. Start when your manager says to start

Individual Store Disclaimer
Please note that these FAQs are based on answers from within the thread so do come from a variety of stores and areas. However, every store is different so these FAQs are a guide as to what happens generally across the company but should not be taken as gospel.
whysoserious
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I work in ASDA
thecdon
Rep:
?
(Original post by whysoserious)
I work in ASDA
Nice! How long you been there for? What's the pay like? I got told the pay rate but have forgotten! :o:
whysoserious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thecdon)
Nice! How long you been there for? What's the pay like? I got told the pay rate but have forgotten! :o:
I have been there for 2 years now!
Work just the weekends now coz Im at uni
pay is £6.24 but I I think it may be just under £6 when you first start
thecdon
Rep:
?
I have been there for 2 years now!
Work just the weekends now coz Im at uni
pay is £6.24 but I I think it may be just under £6 when you first start
Does it get boring after a certain amount of time? What sort of stuff do you do?
Do you get paid weekly or is it four weekly?
Athelstan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,

I haven't seen an official thread for Asda employee's on here but I've seen threads for M&S, Sainsburys and Waitrose etc, so thought i'd make an Asda thread

I've got a job at my local Asda, got the induction this Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you're an Asda employee or have an Asda interview coming up and want some advice, post in here

thecdon :awesome:

You going to greet each customer with jays comment of the week? lol. I just started out at Whitestuff! 50% discount, boom!
thecdon
Rep:
?
(Original post by finnyounger)
You going to greet each customer with jays comment of the week? lol. I just started out at Whitestuff! 50% discount, boom!
Haha yeah I will! Hopefully there will be lots of clunge at Asda begging to be tapped!

/Jay
whysoserious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does it get boring after a certain amount of time? What sort of stuff do you do?
Do you get paid weekly or is it four weekly?
Have to be honest yes it is very boring
Although its not too bad now coz Im ony doin 2 days
Im on the checkouts which is the worst position there!! (repetative)
I also do petrol, home shopping, self scan, running and kiosk
So Im trained on quite a bit lol

Pay is four weekly
I get paid tomorrow :woo:

Its good for the money, discount, lots of friendly colleagues and they are very flexible for holidays and such .... theres ALWAYS overtime if you need/want some
For the checkouts they pester you a lot about overtime and I feel like you are just a number
But more pros than cons :yep:
thecdon
Rep:
?
Have to be honest yes it is very boring
Although its not too bad now coz Im ony doin 2 days
Im on the checkouts which is the worst position there!! (repetative)
I also do petrol, home shopping, self scan, running and kiosk
So Im trained on quite a bit lol

Pay is four weekly
I get paid tomorrow :woo:

Its good for the money, discount, lots of friendly colleagues and they are very flexible for holidays and such .... theres ALWAYS overtime if you need/want some
For the checkouts they pester you a lot about overtime and I feel like you are just a number
But more pros than cons :yep:
Cheers for answering my questions
I'm starting on about 30 hours a week (6am-1pm) 4 days a week. I need as much money as possible, but obviously with lunch hours and that it is only 26 hours paid. Is it possible to work through a lunch hour and earn more money? Or do you have to take it?:eek3:
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
good luck.
thecdon
Rep:
?
Anyone got any tips for me starting? And what's the induction about?
whysoserious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cheers for answering my questions
I'm starting on about 30 hours a week (6am-1pm) 4 days a week. I need as much money as possible, but obviously with lunch hours and that it is only 26 hours paid. Is it possible to work through a lunch hour and earn more money? Or do you have to take it?:eek3:
I know it sucks!
You unfortunately have to take it ... If you dont swipe out and take it then they take off an hour! :mad:
What department are you working on?
6am to 1pm is actually a pretty good shift
You may not have a half an hour lunch taken off of you
I think you would get a breakfast break but no lunch since you are finishing at 1pm ... I think
thecdon
Rep:
?
I know it sucks!
You unfortunately have to take it ... If you dont swipe out and take it then they take off an hour! :mad:
What department are you working on?
6am to 1pm is actually a pretty good shift
You may not have a half an hour lunch taken off of you
I think you would get a breakfast break but no lunch since you are finishing at 1pm ... I think
I'd be on the meat section (not butchers!) so just shelf stacking bacon and beef and what not. Do you get paid for breaks?
whysoserious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thats pretty good
You get paid breakfast, afternoon and evening breaks
You dont get paid for lunch and tea breaks ... you dont have to swipe out for your tea break, just your lunch
breakfast, afternoon and evening are usually the 15-20 mins breaks though ... but since you are doing 7 hours Im not too sure what break you will get
c101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is there a online thing where you have to apply? Or just go in asda and ask?
jimmyshamim1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tesco is better! Asda sucks ball sack hahaha
thecdon
Rep:
?
Thats pretty good
You get paid breakfast, afternoon and evening breaks
You dont get paid for lunch and tea breaks ... you dont have to swipe out for your tea break, just your lunch
breakfast, afternoon and evening are usually the 15-20 mins breaks though ... but since you are doing 7 hours Im not too sure what break you will get
Surely if you take or don't take lunch it's up to you!?
Monkey_Maiden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi,

I went for an 'Asda Magic' assessment thing this week and have just had an interview today. Induction is next week just thinking over if I should take the job or not.
whysoserious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely if you take or don't take lunch it's up to you!?
May be different in other stores although I doubt it
Lunch and tea is when most people are in doing a shift like the normal 9-5 or 12-8 ... hence why they are unpaid
At our store you can skip lunch if you want but you would still be getting unpaid and since you didnt swipe out you will lose an hour even though you are still working
Id rather skip mine and be paid but Im sure everyone wants to do that
So thats why we arent allowed to skip it I guess
thecdon
Rep:
?
May be different in other stores although I doubt it
Lunch and tea is when most people are in doing a shift like the normal 9-5 or 12-8 ... hence why they are unpaid
At our store you can skip lunch if you want but you would still be getting unpaid and since you didnt swipe out you will lose an hour even though you are still working
Id rather skip mine and be paid but Im sure everyone wants to do that
So thats why we arent allowed to skip it I guess
I see. Like you said, my shift is peculiar hours, so I will ask my manager at my induction.
Whats the induction like?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (401)
26.24%
The paper was reasonable (659)
43.13%
Not feeling great about that exam (302)
19.76%
It was TERRIBLE (166)
10.86%

Watched Threads