The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Its fine
You meet everyone starting with you ... have to sign a few things
Usual few introduction talks, maybe a few videos, health and safety
Then we got shown round the building again ... got asked our sizes for uniforms
Checkouts got a welcome from their manager and then got just 2 hours checkout training with a training buddy and then we were put onto actual checkouts serving people from then!
So you will probably be introduced to your department
Everyone was friendly and helpful
You get paid for the induction days aswell:top:
I need help! I've got an interview for Asda and have no idea what to expect!
Reply 22
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
I need help! I've got an interview for Asda and have no idea what to expect!

If it's just theAsda Magic thing, You'll have to introduce yourself, find out about another person there then report back to the group what you've found out, stand up and make an advert for a product they've given you etc... Nothing too strenuous
My sister works in ASDA :dontknow:
Reply 24
How long did they take to respond to you after the online application stage? I applied for 4 jobs at the same store and have only been told about one(which was turned down) and this was 9 days ago.
Reply 25
I had an interview at ASDA last week and just got a phone call saying i got the job :biggrin:
I have the induction days in a few weeks (on school days urggh) - what are they like? I'm going to be working in Home and Leisure btw.
Original post by becca-x
I had an interview at ASDA last week and just got a phone call saying i got the job :biggrin:
I have the induction days in a few weeks (on school days urggh) - what are they like? I'm going to be working in Home and Leisure btw.

Congrats! :smile:
I have kind of explained what the induction days are like somewhere on the thread
Home and leisure is the best department to work in I would say especially when you have a great bunch of people you will be working with
Reply 27
Original post by whysoserious
Congrats! :smile:
I have kind of explained what the induction days are like somewhere on the thread
Home and leisure is the best department to work in I would say especially when you have a great bunch of people you will be working with

Thankyou, I'm really looking forward to it :biggrin:
I'm going to have to miss 2 days of school and that weeks EMA for them though :/

People have told me the pay is £6.13 and hour, is that true?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by becca-x
Thankyou, I'm really looking forward to it :biggrin:
I'm going to have to miss 2 days of school and that weeks EMA for them though :/

People have told me the pay is £6.13 and hour, is that true?

Well you get paid for your induction days! :smile:
Im not sure what the starting pay is
I have been working at ASDA for 2 years now and my pay is £6.24

Once you have done your 12 week probation your pay goes up to the full amount if Im remembering correctly
So yeah £6.13 or maybe just a little less is what you will probably start off with
Reply 29
Well you get paid for your induction days! :smile:
Im not sure what the starting pay is
I have been working at ASDA for 2 years now and my pay is £6.24

Once you have done your 12 week probation your pay goes up to the full amount if Im remembering correctly
So yeah £6.13 or maybe just a little less is what you will probably start off with

I guess its worth it - I should get around £60 :smile:
I'm seasonal so I'll probably just be working november-january :smile: When does the discount kick in?
Original post by becca-x
I guess its worth it - I should get around £60 :smile:
I'm seasonal so I'll probably just be working november-january :smile: When does the discount kick in?

Discounts after the 12 week probation
One of the best parts of the job really .... I use it all the time for CDs and DVDs
Helps when you are a student and get 10% off your shopping aswell
Reply 31
Discounts after the 12 week probation
One of the best parts of the job really .... I use it all the time for CDs and DVDs
Helps when you are a student and get 10% off your shopping aswell

I can't wait to get the discount, can you use it for your family shop as well? As long as you're with them when they pay?

Shame I won't be getting it over christmas though!
Reply 32
I work for Asda, have done for a year and a half now, its flown over so much!

As for the discount, you get one card after 12 weeks service, and only 1 other person can use this card and it has to be someone that lives in your household, you can not go along with anyone else and say there using your card its not allowed.

I started off on checkouts, and then for self scan, kiosk and CSD trained, and then did some running shifts, as well, loved the department and miss it as well, because now I am part of the process team, which to me was a new challenge and im enjoying it alot.

Any questions feel free to ask.
Reply 33
Original post by mark1988
I work for Asda, have done for a year and a half now, its flown over so much!

As for the discount, you get one card after 12 weeks service, and only 1 other person can use this card and it has to be someone that lives in your household, you can not go along with anyone else and say there using your card its not allowed.

I started off on checkouts, and then for self scan, kiosk and CSD trained, and then did some running shifts, as well, loved the department and miss it as well, because now I am part of the process team, which to me was a new challenge and im enjoying it alot.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Oh I didn't know another person could use it, my mum will be happy about that haha.
I've told them that I'm still at school and they know the hours I can work until its the holidays, yet my induction days going to be during school time - do you think is there any way to have my induction days at a different time?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
I'm going to be working on checkouts, I've got my induction this weekend!

Is it any good? Or is it really just repetitive? Don't know what to expect!
Reply 35
Got my second interview tonight at 9.30pm, assuming second interviews are more paperwork than actual interviews?

Can anyone clarify rough night pay for me? I seem to remember hearing £8.56 somewhere but not sure how accurate that is...
Reply 36
I want to apply for Asda but they ask for 2 references. I could use my college tutor as one but the other says personal reference, and I don't know who I can put down for that. :frown: Who did everyone else put?
Reply 37
I started off on checkouts, I will give you my opinions, and that is, I did enjoy it, and loved the customer interaction, but I got a little bored, and thats why I started to learn self scan, kiosk and CSD before doing some running, which meant I had the variety, and you could pick up shifts and that on other areas of front end, so if ya want to once you have been there a while, get trained on other things, it helps.

As for the night pay, I dont know the exact amount to be fair, but £8.67ish rings a bell, be somewhere around that amount anyway, much better than day pay haha.

References.....could you ask a family friend that doesnt know you directly? or another professional....GP, etc? If not, they might accept the college/school reference if there is no one else, ring te store and ask for personel and see what they say.
I start today :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by Ryan x
I want to apply for Asda but they ask for 2 references. I could use my college tutor as one but the other says personal reference, and I don't know who I can put down for that. :frown: Who did everyone else put?

They never check the references anyways, just put down the name of a teacher at school for the academic, and a friend for the personal, the name personal in itself just means someone who knows you face-to-face, they don't have to be impartial :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending