The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

U mean WALMART!!!!!!!!!
Begg you help me apply for a Job at asda 😭
ye tesco has some vacancies
Original post by Sandhu11
Begg you help me apply for a Job at asda 😭
It’s getting quite messy where I am as well. About 20 people have quit the store in the past couple of months! I was already on contract 6 because I have only been there 11 months but there are people there that have been for 20-30+ years getting treated like ****, proves we are all just numbers really.
Original post by Johnsheppard99
They've started doing one to one interviews now in my store, they are telling people they HAVE to sign the new contract NOW or will be handed their 12 week notices..this is despite GMB saying we don't have to sign anything yet! Most people are apparently going in without union support though.
At least Two collegues have been told this week, they will be given until next week to decide if to sign or not, and they'll have one more one to one where they sign or get given notice!!

Mine is next week..ive already asked the main union rep in the store to come with me..together, we are the most argumentative people in the store and I have no intention of moving to contract 6 until the last possible moment, so people are expecting fireworks!

I seriously don't understand how people still want to work for this awful company..ive been looking in my area at jobs though and theres literally nothing except other shop work or care work! All I want is to get out of retail!
Took them a while to contact me as well, their system was down so they couldn’t sort it out/send an email . It may be worth giving them a call.
Original post by jasontesfaye
I got a phone call last Thursday saying I had got a job and they would contact me in a few days with the induction details. It’s been over a week and I still haven’t heard anything, is this normal?
Hi, I need help I applied for a job almost a month and a half ago and on the careers website it still hasn’t moved from ‘Applied’ stage and I’m getting annoyed. Is this normal?
Original post by tssof
Today I had my face to face interview with ASDA which I passed, which was for a night shift role in groceries, where I would work 10pm till 6am. Please could someone tell me if the role will be very labour intensive or will it be relaxed because its during the night. Also, could someone recommend me a pair of black worker shoes, as the only shoes I own are trainers or formal shoes.
Thanks in advance!!
ask at your store, they should provide steel toe boots, should...
Original post by tssof
Today I had my face to face interview with ASDA which I passed, which was for a night shift role in groceries, where I would work 10pm till 6am. Please could someone tell me if the role will be very labour intensive or will it be relaxed because its during the night. Also, could someone recommend me a pair of black worker shoes, as the only shoes I own are trainers or formal shoes.
Thanks in advance!!
When is the next Asda payday? I was paid on the 21st last month
I started working at Asda around middle of June but I still haven't been paid. Is this normal or should I go to someone?. I'm not too sure what to do because I'm new.
That is not normal you should definetly see someone
Original post by jackmfc99
I started working at Asda around middle of June but I still haven't been paid. Is this normal or should I go to someone?. I'm not too sure what to do because I'm new.
Night shift premium only kicks in between midnight and 5am now because of contract 6. How many shifts you’re assigned depends on how many they need you for and how many you’re willing to work however I doubt it will be more than 50 a week. I’d say the majority of people maybe start off with 3/4 shifts a week and then pick up overtime if you want to
As unidog1234 said, they are screwing over the night staff now as the night premiums used to be 10pm-6am, but now you only get it for 12-5am..and from next april the rest of the shift, as for anyone else on contract 6 (ie everyone by then) will be back on the minimum wage they can legally pay you!

Ive got my final one to one meeting about it tomorrow, with the threat that if I don't switch 'voluntarily' then i'll be given my 12 weeks notice period, by which point I either sign or leave..im wondering how much I really need this horrid job with this awful company now..
Apparently i'll be £37 a month better off on the new contract (wow!) but i'll be taxed more, and my hours drop (because of the breaks) to the absolute bare minimum I need to claim working tax credits on, so im still wondering how it benefits ME to switch..
Hey,

I quit Asda a week ago because i'm starting uni in September. Obviously i'm going to be sorting my stuff out before I move, but I still have my Asda uniform, discount cards, clock in card etc. They haven't asked for it back yet, I was just wondering if anyone knows what i'm supposed to do with it? I assumed they would want it back, but i don't know :confused:

Thanks for any help :smile:
So im back and i work at chilled. But um, it seems as though i havent thoroughly been trained in the actual department. The other day my colleague had to teach me wtf 'picking' is and even then i dont know what to do when there are 'overs' or when goods expired. There are so many things im clueless (literally all i know is taking out a cage and placing stuff on the shop floors) especially the jargon they use and i have NO CLUE what theyre talking about. I assumed my section leader or manager would actually tell me how things work here but honestly its getting a bit annoying hanging around aimlessly because for me theres nothing to do after doing the cages, simply because i havent been taught nor aware about the other roles behind a sales assistant.

Bruh is this even normal
Reply 8194
Do you get paid extra for working nights?
To people who applied online:

How were you contacted by Asda about your application, interview etc.? They have my home phone, mobile and email but I get so much spam calling that I'm a lot less likely to notice a call from them than an email.

Also, to anyone that took a 'temporary job' - how long actually was it? The jobs that are available now as store assistants are listed as 'temporary' but I don't know if that means a few weeks or a few months!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8196
What's the best way to approach a group interview as I have one for a brand new store thats opening

I am quiet shy at speaking in front of people but I understand I have to make myself heard otherwise I will not stand out and get the job which I really want and need!
Any advice?
Reply 8197
Are Asda and Sainsburys linked? Like in terms of pay roll and everything?
Original post by countjac
To people who applied online:

How were you contacted by Asda about your application, interview etc.? They have my home phone, mobile and email but I get so much spam calling that I'm a lot less likely to notice a call from them than an email.

Also, to anyone that took a 'temporary job' - how long actually was it? The jobs that are available now as store assistants are listed as 'temporary' but I don't know if that means a few weeks or a few months!

I got my interview/assessment by email. When I got the job offer they called me which I accidently missed as they called in the 5 minutes that i put my phone down to go get a drink. but they left a voicemail and called back no problem.

I am on the temporary contract that it 12 weeks long but I have had mine extended as it ran early decemeber and now it runs out early January. Everyone there tells me that they will probably keep me on permanently if I do over time and train in other things (I am currently doing normal checkouts and training to be self-service) as the store is really short staffed with a lot people quitting due to the contracts.
Reply 8199
Original post by ShaunaSw
I got my interview/assessment by email. When I got the job offer they called me which I accidently missed as they called in the 5 minutes that i put my phone down to go get a drink. but they left a voicemail and called back no problem.

I am on the temporary contract that it 12 weeks long but I have had mine extended as it ran early decemeber and now it runs out early January. Everyone there tells me that they will probably keep me on permanently if I do over time and train in other things (I am currently doing normal checkouts and training to be self-service) as the store is really short staffed with a lot people quitting due to the contracts.

Hey thanks for the reply - how long did it take to hear back after the online application?

So TESCO don't do permanent contracts for new employees? Marks and Spencer are the same (they literally keep most staff on temporary and keep extending it) but I thought Tesco would be different - really surprised about that or does it depend on the store you work at? Did you apply for a temp role?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending