The Student Room Group

Thrown off Access.....Is this right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DoubleO
sounds very harsh, i did an access course 7 years ago, and to put it bluntly i was awful, i failed a couple of essays, but they just made me re take them and it and it didn't affect my outcome at all. The thing is all i needed was some time to develop academically which is a struggle for mature students (for a number of reasons), it's nothing to do with ability, motivation or effort in a lot of cases, just simply that we need to get back into education. I've just finished my masters degree with quite a good mark (merit for taught and distinction for project), it's shocking that your college have done this, makes me angry actually. Whatever happens don't let it stop you from doing what you want to do.
Exactly.

Original post by alibee
Make sure you're not going to be fobbed off with a careers advisor on Tuesday. Phone the college and make a specific appointment with the college director. I'm so sorry to hear you're been treated so unfairly. In all honesty though, universities are going to need the access result and I think you'd be best off not mentioning this to them at all at the moment especially if you're still awaiting an offer from them.
I agree.

Original post by Jenna30
I know of 1 girl who is arguing her case but i'm not sure about the others as I haven't seen or spoke to them as yet.
I feel my uni hopes are gone already. The most annoying thing is that I had offers on the table just for passes. I'm thinking of emailing the admissions depts at the uni's which have offered me places and asking them their views on what I should do now. I will state that the college hasn't given us the option to resit and see what they say.
I'm hoping that by the time Tuesday comes around I will find the strength to fight this.
The fact that you have offers that simply require you to pass the course actually strengthens your argument, in my view.

Don't let them get away with this. Seriously. Is there any kind of student support set-up at this college? Get them involved if there is. Ask for a copy of the procedures for assessment on your course, which must include some kind of provision for resitting failed assessments. As DoubleO has pointed out, the whole reason for Access courses is to enable mature students to get back into studying - and most people find this challenging to begin with. So get that procedure and identify every point/process that they have not complied with. It's probably on the college website somewhere -

I would also get hold of the procedures for appeals and complaints (also should be available on their website). As I say, though, the really important thing is to act very quickly and get to the Principal ASAP. Messing about with 'career advice' is a waste of time at this stage.
Reply 21
Don't give them a chance to convince you that they are acting in your best interests. Like Minerva said you should throw the book at them and make it clear that you will not go quietly. Do this tactfully of course but they are bringing the college and the course into disrepute if they treat you like this.

I had to fight a university I went to because they tried to give me the run around. They soon wished they had never bothered because I gave them hell. I know its scary but this is your future you are fighting for, don't let them take your offers away from you. The implications (esp with student finance) are bigger than just waiting a year.
Reply 22
Lets not disguise the fact that i feel it is a "mickey mouse" college.... I know the OP, OP is in my class...

The four exams were a joke...we were told that we would be examined purely on "workbooks" completed in each of the four lessons - biology, chemistry, physics and environmental science.

Biology had labels of the heart that a) werent in our book and b) werent in any GCSE (or ALevel) revision guide i have ever seen in my life.

Chemistry was a mickey mouse multiple choice paper which you need not have even bothered opening the book to do.

Physics was a complete mess with ure head exam with questions designed to confuse you and material we havent been taught. As well has having been "taught" from a powerpoint presentation by someone who freely used to say almost every lesson "i am not a physics teacher" and then told me i was banned from asking questions about a sheet we were given in class which contained questions which made no sense and i have subsequently found have been merely "lifted" off the internet and cut and pasted together.

environmental science had some of the answers in the marking criteria which was stapled to the front of the exam paper which some spotted an used others didnt

Lets not even go into the exam supervision which allowed ppl to just go the toilet and didnt spot that a number of people actually blatantly had some answers notes written on their hands..
I passed these mickey mouse exams...yey for me...not

I dont get how they can even try and throw OP and the others out...it really is a joke. I will be going into the meetings with OP and the others and making sure they aren't thrown out. Although maybe I would actually love to be thrown out of this joke of a place too as I have completely no confidence in it anymore.
Reply 23
Original post by janesies
Lets not disguise the fact that i feel it is a "mickey mouse" college.... I know the OP, OP is in my class...

The four exams were a joke...we were told that we would be examined purely on "workbooks" completed in each of the four lessons - biology, chemistry, physics and environmental science.

Biology had labels of the heart that a) werent in our book and b) werent in any GCSE (or ALevel) revision guide i have ever seen in my life.

Chemistry was a mickey mouse multiple choice paper which you need not have even bothered opening the book to do.

Physics was a complete mess with ure head exam with questions designed to confuse you and material we havent been taught. As well has having been "taught" from a powerpoint presentation by someone who freely used to say almost every lesson "i am not a physics teacher" and then told me i was banned from asking questions about a sheet we were given in class which contained questions which made no sense and i have subsequently found have been merely "lifted" off the internet and cut and pasted together.

environmental science had some of the answers in the marking criteria which was stapled to the front of the exam paper which some spotted an used others didnt

Lets not even go into the exam supervision which allowed ppl to just go the toilet and didnt spot that a number of people actually blatantly had some answers notes written on their hands..

I dont get how they can even try and throw OP and the others out...it really is a joke. I will be going into the meetings with OP and the others and making sure they aren't thrown out. Although maybe I would actually love to be thrown out of this joke of a place too as I have completely no confidence in it anymore.
I can understand why not.

What you describe here is information the Principal needs as a matter of urgency. This college has recruited a number of students essentially under false pretences if it is unable to provide even the most basic teaching quality.
Original post by janesies

janesies i cant believe your tests were so disorganised and not done right.Also it also sounds to me reading all these posts that this course isnt well organised.How can you expect Access students to pass exams when they not stuctured properly and this physics tutor of sorts isnt really a Physics tutor whats going on there:mad:I wouldnt be best pleased either with all this whats going on.Hope you get it all sorted out janesies i really do.I also think its unfair for Access students through no fault of they own been told you not passed this exams so we want you to leave.You have your rights to be educated by proper lecturers etc.
Reply 25
Original post by Minerva
I can understand why not.

What you describe here is information the Principal needs as a matter of urgency. This college has recruited a number of students essentially under false pretences if it is unable to provide even the most basic teaching quality.

Just a quick update to see what you guys think of this.
I emailed the tutor asking for a time to go in on Tuesday for a meeting and also if she had found out what happens with my UCAS and this is what she replied:

You don’t need to come in if you don’t want there are 7 in total who have failed, but I understand how embarrassing it could be all we can offer you is an interview with careers and guidance and to be honest at this time of year it is unlikely that any courses will have places, I know we don’t have anything here. I have spoken to careers and basically you need to withdraw your UCAS application and let the universities know. It would be best if you told them you had personal issues that meant you weren’t able to continue with the application this year. I’m really sorry to see you go and wish you all the best for the future.

This can't be right can it???
What would you guys do in my situation please?:frown:
Original post by Jenna30
I emailed the tutor asking for a time to go in on Tuesday for a meeting and also if she had found out what happens with my UCAS and this is what she replied:

You don’t need to come in if you don’t want there are 7 in total who have failed, but I understand how embarrassing it could be all we can offer you is an interview with careers and guidance and to be honest at this time of year it is unlikely that any courses will have places, I know we don’t have anything here. I have spoken to careers and basically you need to withdraw your UCAS application and let the universities know. It would be best if you told them you had personal issues that meant you weren’t able to continue with the application this year. I’m really sorry to see you go and wish you all the best for the future.

First of all, definitely don't withdraw your UCAS application until this is all sorted out, which it really doesn't appear to be, at least not in any way that I would personally deem it to be.

The way I read that, they're trying to fob you off and, given the situation, that is not the appropriate response at all. You don't need a meeting with careers for interview advice, you need to speak to the principal or Access director or someone in charge, and present your case that this situation is hardly fair and you have been misled.
Reply 27
Original post by Jenna30

I agree with TheSownRose. You really do need to get to the Principal and pronto, before you miss any more of the course.

You can withdraw your application any time, so no need to worry about that. Just concentrate on sorting out the college.
Reply 28
Original post by TheSownRose
First of all, definitely don't withdraw your UCAS application until this is all sorted out, which it really doesn't appear to be, at least not in any way that I would personally deem it to be.

The way I read that, they're trying to fob you off and, given the situation, that is not the appropriate response at all. You don't need a meeting with careers for interview advice, you need to speak to the principal or Access director or someone in charge, and present your case that this situation is hardly fair and you have been misled.

Well, I have spoken to another girl (who is in the same situation as myself) and she has been on the phone to our tutor this afternoon, the tutor is persisting that there is no way at all that any of us will be allowed back onto the course!
She has her meeting tomorrow and Janesis is going in with her.
Original post by Jenna30
Well, I have spoken to another girl (who is in the same situation as myself) and she has been on the phone to our tutor this afternoon, the tutor is persisting that there is no way at all that any of us will be allowed back onto the course!
She has her meeting tomorrow and Janesis is going in with her.

Then bypass the tutor, go straight for the principal or whoever is in charge.
Reply 30
You have to insist on the fairness of resits at the very least. And then do some official complaints. Who regulates access courses overall (ie. nationally)? Can you get in touch with them? http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/
good luck x
Reply 31
Original post by TheSownRose

Another update for you. The girl who had her meeting yesterday was told that she failed by 3% and there was still no way of being able to continue on the course. The tutor also told her that the exams had not been verified before we sat tham and they should have been, which I think is scandalous and she also said that we can enrol for the same course for next September. The others are doing that but I won't be.I am writing my letter to the principal of the college this morning so if anybody can give me any good strong pointers to put in there apart from the obvious of course, that would be great.
I have emailed a few other colleges to see if any of them have spaces on their courses. Three have replied saying they are all full and i'm still waiting for a reply from another, but i'm not holding much hope.
Reply 32
Original post by Jenna30
Another update for you. The girl who had her meeting yesterday was told that she failed by 3% and there was still no way of being able to continue on the course. The tutor also told her that the exams had not been verified before we sat tham and they should have been, which I think is scandalous and she also said that we can enrol for the same course for next September. The others are doing that but I won't be.I am writing my letter to the principal of the college this morning so if anybody can give me any good strong pointers to put in there apart from the obvious of course, that would be great.
I have emailed a few other colleges to see if any of them have spaces on their courses. Three have replied saying they are all full and i'm still waiting for a reply from another, but i'm not holding much hope.
Scandalous is the word, I think. Not only that, but I don't get the logic of throwing you off the course this year only to let you back on again next year :confused:

I think you work you way through the various failures, from setting you an exam including material you hadn't covered, and that it wasn't 'validated' - whatever that means, to the failure to provide you with written advice on the assessment process and rules about resits, and the apparently random actions of this tutor which do not appear to have been subject to any kind of proper controls. No-one should be asked to leave a course without proper discussion at a properly convened Course Board meeting, and even if one had been convened and they had agreed you couldn't be allowed to continue, you should have advised of the appeals process - one must exist. I have not seen any evidence in what you have posted so far that proper process has been followed - in any respect, frankly.
Reply 33
Original post by Minerva
Scandalous is the word, I think. Not only that, but I don't get the logic of throwing you off the course this year only to let you back on again next year :confused:

I think you work you way through the various failures, from setting you an exam including material you hadn't covered, and that it wasn't 'validated' - whatever that means, to the failure to provide you with written advice on the assessment process and rules about resits, and the apparently random actions of this tutor which do not appear to have been subject to any kind of proper controls. No-one should be asked to leave a course without proper discussion at a properly convened Course Board meeting, and even if one had been convened and they had agreed you couldn't be allowed to continue, you should have advised of the appeals process - one must exist. I have not seen any evidence in what you have posted so far that proper process has been followed - in any respect, frankly.

Well the good news is that I have managed to squeeze onto another course:smile: I got the call at 3.30 today to go for an interview, so off I went and I start tomorrow. I will have a lot of catching up to do as they have already completed 5 different workbooks at level 3. I think they felt sorry for me and took pity after I told them what had happened. They are going to transfer my UCAS over from the last college to theirs and they are also going to try and get some of my fees wavered.
They also gave me some advice on what to do about the other college and have told me to go ahead with the complaint.
The exams have to be verified before they are used, if the tutors have constructed them, to make sure that the content is suitable to the work covered.
Regarding the fees that we paid: those that were told they couldn't continue were also told they would not get a refund for any money they paid at enrolment. My new tutors told me today that "if you sign for a level 3 course and you don't get to start it, they cannot keep our money" apparently it says this on the learner agreement.
I'm still trying to help the others and i'm feeling much more positive now and will still fight that place with everything I have got, to make sure it doesn't happen again to future students.
In the meantime I have had my forth Uni offer today so only 1 more to wait for :smile:

I would like to thank you all for your help and advice. It's amazing how much better you can feel after venting to people who understand and taking on board all your advice.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jenna30
Well the good news is that I have managed to squeeze onto another course:smile: I got the call at 3.30 today to go for an interview, so off I went and I start tomorrow. I will have a lot of catching up to do as they have already completed 5 different workbooks at level 3. I think they felt sorry for me and took pity after I told them what had happened. They are going to transfer my UCAS over from the last college to theirs and they are also going to try and get some of my fees wavered.
They also gave me some advice on what to do about the other college and have told me to go ahead with the complaint.
The exams have to be verified before they are used, if the tutors have constructed them, to make sure that the content is suitable to the work covered.
Regarding the fees that we paid: those that were told they couldn't continue were also told they would not get a refund for any money they paid at enrolment. My new tutors told me today that "if you sign for a level 3 course and you don't get to start it, they cannot keep our money" apparently it says this on the learner agreement.
I'm still trying to help the others and i'm feeling much more positive now and will still fight that place with everything I have got, to make sure it doesn't happen again to future students.
In the meantime I have had my forth Uni offer today so only 1 more to wait for :smile:

I would like to thank you all for your help and advice. It's amazing how much better you can feel after venting to people who understand and taking on board all your advice.

I'm happy for you! That was absolutely ridiculous what happened to you, definitely go ahead with the complaint!
Reply 35
That's great news! Make sure you inform your universities that you've moved access course to a different college. Even those with unconditional offers NEED to be informed of this asap. I'm really glad this has worked out :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by Jenna30

That is excellent news - on every count. I'm sure you will catch up in good time - but how fantastic that this new college is giving you such support and good advice. To be frank, it sounds like you are well out of the other college, but I think you are absolutely right to pursue the issues with them. Presumably they have to be accredited in some way to offer and award Access courses - this saga seriously undermines their credibility to do so!

Glad we were able to help :smile:
Reply 37
You have all been so supportive, I can't thank you enough :smile:

My new College have told me they will sort the UCAS out and not to worry about it. They have been absolutely fantastic. I could kick myself though because I got offered a place there in the first place back in May and I took the other instead but never mind. I just have to work solid now until I catch up. They said they will help me all they can and will partner me up with some of the other students so I can go over their books and things. I'm nervous all over again but sooooo relieved.

I just hope that nobody else has to go through what we have just been through and I will make sure that College doesn't get away with it, thats for sure.
Original post by Jenna30

hi Jenna30 i am so glad to hear that you managed to get on another Access course at another college.I would advise you as many members have already said to continue with the compliant process and dont let the other college get away with it.I was shocked to read everything that had gone on there and i also think it was very unfair for the college to do that to you and other students on your previous access course.if you want any help/advice regarding this complaint letter or anything else for that matter,you know where i am just pm okay:biggrin:.Also good luck with your university applications,i wish you all the best i really do
(edited 13 years ago)
You may wish to look at the complaints policy of the quango that funds these colleges.

http://readingroom.lsc.gov.uk/SFA/Complaints-providers-sep10-v2-1.pdf.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending