The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are there no good guitar bands ATM and music in general is dry?

does anyone know any bands at the moment who are good? seems to be like none!

and i havent heard a song that 'everybody's' heard for quite a while now...not since lady gaga-mania

does the "music is dead" lobby have a point, maybe because of diminishing returns of melodies ?? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

There a plenty of good "guitar" bands. I'm sure if you say what sort of stuff you are into some stuff will be suggested.
Reply 2
Hurts new album was surprisingly good.

Kings of Leon new album is pretty good too. Doesn't compare to their previous album, but still worth a listen.

Script - Science & Faith

Those are some pretty good albums in the charts at the mo
Reply 3
listen to Lifehouse

particularly: Lifehouse - only one
Lifehouse - quasimodo

you sound like me when it comes to music
what do you mean by 'good guitar bands'? Rock? Metal? What do you like?
Reply 5
If you like punk you could listen to something me and my band recorded. [Profile - about me section]

Meh, just a thought... Its not everybodies cup of tea...
Reply 6
Tool hasn't released anything in a while... but their stuff is amazing, and has mind-blowing guitar solos!
Reply 7
It's Maynard Keenan's first band. He now has a spin-off called A Perfect Circle and another band called Puscifer that was initially intended just to compose the soundtrack for a movie.

It's an American band. Schism has a really good guitar solo at the start. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo

Here's another for Forty Six and 2 and Jambi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czg-hdk3I0M

Happy listening!
(edited 13 years ago)
Guitar bands tend to be pretty dry, in all honesty.
Music isn't doing great at the moment, but it's still out there. It totally depends on what music you like though, what are you into? Maybe you should broaden your horizons and search deeper? Type in the older bands/artists that you like into last.fm and it sometimes suggests newer bands who are similar, but not copycats.
your statement is so sweeping its ludicrous, look for bands you wont find on the front cover of smash hits or kerrang.

Some excellent non chart bands are out there rhapsody of fire, blind guardian, saint demon, saxon (admittedly havent done much in awhile) stratovarious, northern kings
guitar bands is a pretty **** description. Have you ever heard of genres? Because everything from old school punk, to pop, to jazz, and the most brutal of death metal and grindcore has guitars. Need a little more input, because if I had to say favourite guitar solo it would be from "Like a sonambulist in daylights fire" by dark fortress. And if the rubbishness of Tool is heavy enough to scare you, this would make you **** yourself. And its quite a mellow song as black metal goes.

If you just want to hear some amazing guitaring, you want to hear any albums by black sabbath, Rust in Peace album by Megadeth, any led zep album, or any albums by Iron Maiden released in the 1980s.
(edited 13 years ago)
Why do you want bands from "now" when you have the past to take from?

(Forgot that one. Oops)

Sucks that Rocky isn't a more recognised guitarist.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by christine18
Tool hasn't released anything in a while... but their stuff is amazing, and has mind-blowing guitar solos!

I think I love you
Original post by Ocassus
If you like punk you could listen to something me and my band recorded. [Profile - about me section]

Meh, just a thought... Its not everybodies cup of tea...

Don't take this the wrong way or nothing, but your band sounds like the typical American watered-down version of punk that spawned such bands as blink-182, Sum-41, and early Good Charlotte.

I really don't think you should go around calling yourself a punk band either. Pop-punk maybe, but not straight-out punk. I get very protective of "punk" when people attach it to everything, so don't take it as a personal hit or anything. :smile:
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
guitar bands is a pretty **** description. Have you ever heard of genres? Because everything from old school punk, to pop, to jazz, and the most brutal of death metal and grindcore has guitars. Need a little more input, because if I had to say favourite guitar solo it would be from "Like a sonambulist in daylights fire" by dark fortress. And if the rubbishness of Tool is heavy enough to scare you, this would make you **** yourself. And its quite a mellow song as black metal goes.

If you just want to hear some amazing guitaring, you want to hear any albums by black sabbath, Rust in Peace album by Megadeth, any led zep album, or any albums by Iron Maiden released in the 1980s.

:eek: How are Tool rubbish? They're easily better than bloody Megadeth, seriously.
Original post by littleshambles
Guitar bands tend to be pretty dry, in all honesty.

I agree :teehee:
Haha, yeah, their videos are a bit "out there". But the more your watch them, the more you're able to see the meaning and intent behind them.
Just check out some music videos made by YouTube users that only have the lyrics and a blank background. Because that song is amazing and definitely worth giving a listen :smile:
Original post by metalthrashin'mad

I've been taught since childhood that opinions cannot be wrong, as they are subjective... but you sir, are DEAD WRONG.

:doh: Maynard has a vocal range that is virtually incomprehensible; it is THAT amazing.
It's an utter shame to compare Adam Jones' genius to the likes of Black Sabbath and Megadeath guitarists.

I'd call you a troll... but unfortunately, I am led to believe that you're being serious. How sad.
:u:Mumford & Sons :sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface:.

Quick Reply

Latest